Cruise Control

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
@ BROMBEAR.
@ TO AWSUM.

I completely agree with you.
Generally I was also ridiculed when asking that question.

On my other cars, CC gives a great agreement to long trips, and avoids the confiscation of the driving licence (French regulations).
Informations on solutions would be appreciated.

Best regard to every body.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It is my understanding that the GT uses an ECU from a 1998 Mustang Cobra. I can't imagine why it would be overly complicated to retro fit. I'd be glad to look at fabrication of a kit for this if enough people are interested. Just to get a feel for takers, how many would be interested if the price were between $1000-$2000? It may be much cheaper (it may be more) but for feasibility purposes, let's take a worse case and assume $1,500.

Criteria would be:
1) speed set cruise
2) GT motif controls
3) speed increase/decrease optional
4) zero drilling or other alteration that is not 100% returnable to stock condition

Sound off if you like me to research it further.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The GT Guys have put cruise control in our cars .It has been tested by Mark McGowan.He says it works great.Call Rich

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
There Ya go

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I am not surprised it has been done. It looks like a very straightforward install with the only creativity needed to have the set/accel/resume interface mounted in a convenient but reversible location.

http://www.amazon.com/Rostra-Universal-Electronic-Control-250-1223/dp/B007ZCQD9S

http://www.amazon.com/mount-Cruise-Control-Switch-250-3592/dp/B00802EVC8/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Glad I caught up to the before it's to late. The whole idea is ridiculous and bombastic. It's a sports car you idiots. There's a certain thrill in looking down in denial that you cannot possibly be doing 80mph (or 100!). Use your brain and your foot in concert, or go buy a Google self drive car and drink your latte macchiato in suburban comfort. Geesh.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Idiot? That's a little harsh... maybe it's just a car that everybody drives the way they want.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Idiot? That's a little harsh... maybe it's just a car that everybody drives the way they want.

I disagree. It's a "Gran Tourismo" - touring car with a race application. It says so :) I wanted it when I was looking, but decided that the gas load and MPG about equaled my tolerance level (200-300 MPH between gas fills*, pit stops, coffee/coke and walking a little) and I can do that still (for a while anyway).

*Note: On the roads from Colorado to Vegas there is one stretch where there is no gas for over 100 miles, so you have to plan ahead!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
So what do you disagree with? That people shouldn't drive it the way the want?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So what do you disagree with? That people shouldn't drive it the way the want?

I think I disagree with the disagree. When I first started looking and heard they didn't have cruise I wondered why. Hearing that the ECU is based on another I'd bet there are connections for the cruise hardware, but the software is probably lacking the control code.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LUEDVMOMY24[/video]

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

I have travelled coast to coast with my GT a few times and I have a Ford cruse control that works great. It's from an Expedition 4x4. In order to use it with the GT, just put the GT in a trailer, hook the trailer to the Expedition, and hit the road. Cruse control works great except on steep uphills.

Glad I could help.

Chip

Chip,
you are the greatest, wonderful idea, but remember that not all Ford GT owners like the trucks like the one you use to tow your GT from coast to coast . . .

Felix,
at time in Spain

Too bad that those Rallys are so far away ... please update those who can't attend ... CC would be really nice here in Germany especially to avoid speeding tickets in some areas :)

Somehow I am spoiled by the fantastic working cruise + distance control in my Audi ... it makes long trips really great, you just have to steer and adjust the speed for the CC, braking and accelerating is done fully automatic.

I do totally agree with you, especially on long distances in Germany where you might find some sections without any speed limits and three or more lanes, you speed there and when the mostly silly placed speed limits come along to often with 120 kms/h or even less, until down to 80 kms/h and a lot of fixed speedtraps or mobile ones, a CC would be my dream as well

Felix

at time in Spain

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Felix, I'm working on installing one in my car now. Slow project, but I hope to finish this winter. When I'm done, I'll post instructions here.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Looking forward to that. Good luck in meeting your schedule.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
+1

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
What ever happened to the ol' broom handle speed controller?

Ed

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
What ever happened to the ol' broom handle speed controller?

Ed

The problem is my speed keeps increasing because my broom handle keeps getting longer the older I get.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Ford GT Cruise control... granted it says pit speed but we now have the cruise control stickers, just haven't put them on yet....

First GT with cruise?

CABLES-9.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ford GT Cruise control... granted it says pit speed but we now have the cruise control stickers, just haven't put them on yet....

First GT with cruise?

View attachment 44580

The GTguys installed one on Mark McGowan's car many years ago. I saw it during the FGT Rally at Somona. I think that was the 1st one.