Ford GT Forum 200 mph Club & Standing Mile Results

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
They were pretty mad. I showed up on Sunday with a fire suit and they still wouldnt let me run.

At that speeds, if something goes wrong, you wouldnt benefit from the comfort of a firesuit. Maybe they just wanted to make sure in case of desaster, they would have it easy picking up the pieces of your remains though for final shipping... Worth an ask, next time this happens :wink

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
I ran 201.7 at Texas, Spring of 2009. My car has a whipple and 3:90 gears

Ted

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I ran 201.7 at Texas, Spring of 2009. My car has a whipple and 3:90 gears

Ted

I was there that day, that was a good run Ted! it is very difficult to run 200 on whipple alone. the gears must have played a significant role. do you know how much power your car is making?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was able to hit 214.5 on my only full pass at the Mile before getting kicked out for no fire suit.

Must be something new. I've run over 200 at the Mile several times without a suit and no complaints from the organizers. I'll need to find out about this before I go back.:confused

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
My 206 MPH run was recorded on a Garmin GPS. Yes , The GT Speedos are off by about 6 MPH at 200 MPH.
We had a two mile Airstrip to run the cars. We were able to do a running start at the beginning of the 2 mile runway. It took more than a mile to get my Pulley and tune car to that speed.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'd like to get us some bumper stickers or t-shirts made for those in the 200 mph club. In order to be included, this must be done on a verified closed course like the Texas Mile, Mojave Mile, Lemoore, or other closed environment. 200 mph freeway runs will not be accepted. :wink
  1. Hennessey Performance: 235.4 mph
  2. PeakCompletions: 231.5 mph
  3. Mullet: 226.20 mph
  4. TEXAS GT: 223.007 mph
  5. Cody@A.R.T: 221 mph
  6. Soroush: 217 mph
  7. Mark McGowan: 211.89 mph
  8. DBK: 208.6 mph
  9. tmcphail: 206.26
  10. Stormcat: 206 mph
  11. Palm Harbor GT40: 202 mph
  12. THughes: 201.7 mph
  13. JKR: 201 mph
  14. MarkH: 200.6 mph

I think this is a great idea. The 200 MPH Club shirts they sell at The Mile get the message across but are a little plain. A bumper sticker would be great for my trailer but maybe a static cling would be better for the car.

Thanks Dave

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Dave is the reason for limiting admission to the 200mph club to closed course events to keep members from incriminating themselves in a public forum?:confused

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, it's to keep us off the streets. Think of all the wrecked cars we've seen and heard of, and none of them was going "that" fast. We don't need this kind of publicity.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Vanishing Point.

In order to be included, this must be done on a verified closed course like the Texas Mile, Mojave Mile, Lemoore, or other closed environment. 200 mph freeway runs will not be accepted.

Gentlemen,

There are solid reasons for this. Allowing 200 MPH highway runs would be a tacit endorsement (even encouragement) by the Forum of an illegal activity that might just get somebody killed. There are enough closed course activities available in this country to get your name on that list if you're willing to put the time, money, and effort into it. I am determined to add my name to that list during the next 12 months. Whoahhhhh!!!! :cheers

Chip

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Soroush,

My car put down 730 at the rear tires as measured by the man with a big shadow. The problem with the 3:90 gear is that the car tops out at 195 in fifth gear so you have to pull sixth gear just past the 3/4 mile mark. At 195 you want to make sure you get that gear change right. As far as just driving the car on the street the 3:90 gear is the way to go.

Ted

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Interesting Ted. It's good to know the 3.90's can pull 6th a pretty significant margin with that level of power. A quarter mile when you're already going 195 goes by real fast, so to pick up 6 mph with 730rwhp is pretty good. I would think that at least makes it feasible that something with massive power could pull 6th at a much higher speed.

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
You have to make sure that you are at the limit of the RPM's in fifth or you will loose some MPH. For example I pulled 6th at 7,000 rpm the run before and only ran 198.

Ted

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, at that speed, you're going to easily lose 10 mph per second if you let the rpms drop. I want to say I looked at my vBox data and letting off at 208.6 the car lost 7 mph in about half a second.

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
The air is a killer. We need to run in a vacuum.

Ted

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Soroush,

My car put down 730 at the rear tires as measured by the man with a big shadow. The problem with the 3:90 gear is that the car tops out at 195 in fifth gear so you have to pull sixth gear just past the 3/4 mile mark. At 195 you want to make sure you get that gear change right. As far as just driving the car on the street the 3:90 gear is the way to go.

Ted

just to give you an idea I went into 5th right passed the 1/2 way mile marker, and crossed the line in fifth(ran 217.9). I can only imagine how it would have ran with the 3.90s :eek

as for your car true that it will run out of gear in fifth at 195 but you also reach 195 a lot quicker and in a shorter distance than the non geared cars, so you have more room to increase your speed before reaching the mile. like I said it would be very difficult for a whipple car to do 200 conditions being normal,

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I'm anxious to see what my TT with the 3.90's will do now with the exhaust connected to the collectors. Dennis (GT Guys) just dyno'd it at 900hp to the wheels. :banana At the mile the car only managed 172.9 before the exhaust completely separated from the collectors. The Guys suspect that the low speed was because it was already coming apart. We'll see. :thumbsup I gotta make that list!

THughes

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
Soroush,

You are right about the conditions, I didn't expect to run 200+ but I was very happy to get it.

The right place at the right time, that doesn't happen to me very often.

Ted

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I'm anxious to see what my TT with the 3.90's will do now with the exhaust connected to the collectors. Dennis (GT Guys) just dyno'd it at 900hp to the wheels. :banana At the mile the car only managed 172.9 before the exhaust completely separated from the collectors. The Guys suspect that the low speed was because it was already coming apart. We'll see. :thumbsup I gotta make that list!

look forward to your next outing:thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Soroush,

You are right about the conditions, I didn't expect to run 200+ but I was very happy to get it.

The right place at the right time, that doesn't happen to me very often.

Ted

I think youre car would run 200 even without optimum conditions, due to the gearing, as lont as its not 110 deg:willy

you guys coming down for the next mile in march?, you know now they have side by side roll races going on from 1/4 mile mark to the 3/4 mile mark, its pretty cool they follow you with a truck that has a camera mounted on it and a motorcycle follow just behind(as a judge) to make sure no one jumps the gun:biggrin

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Now that the calendars are done, any ideas on this project? T-shirts, bumper stickers, static clings? Maybe a die-cut vinyl decal that we could put wherever suits us? Possibly in the shape of a shield that we could put on the fender...

Just some quick thoughts.:biggrin