Coolant leak front of car

Blue GT

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Washington State
I recently filled the degas bottles with more coolant. (I thought they were a little low). I then took the car for a short ride. The next morning I noticed a lot of coolant on the floor under the front right side (passenger side) of the car. Is there an overflow tube in this area? (I can't remember from when I put the cooling module in the car). I removed the front splitter and the and the front air deflector. I can't see where the coolant was coming from. I jacked up the car and ran it for a long time NO leak now. I feel foolish because I completely rebuilt this car in the garage including putting a new frame under the car. Where are the coolant over flow areas?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I recently filled the degas bottles with more coolant. (I thought they were a little low). I then took the car for a short ride. The next morning I noticed a lot of coolant on the floor under the front right side (passenger side) of the car. Is there an overflow tube in this area? (I can't remember from when I put the cooling module in the car). I removed the front splitter and the and the front air deflector. I can't see where the coolant was coming from. I jacked up the car and ran it for a long time NO leak now. I feel foolish because I completely rebuilt this car in the garage including putting a new frame under the car. Where are the coolant over flow areas?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

The A/C condenser drain line is in that area. Is it possible the liquid was just condensate? You may have had some air pockets in the system that could account for the low fluid in the Degas tank.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The A/C condenser drain line is in that area. Is it possible the liquid was just condensate? You may have had some air pockets in the system that could account for the low fluid in the Degas tank.

The A/C was my 1st thought too because of the location, Brian (especially since he can't recreate the leak, so to speak). But, I 'figgered' since coolant has color, and Blue' specifically referred to it as coolant, the A/C' must not be the source. :shrug

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Check radiator and hose connection up front

Blue GT

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Washington State
It is coolant

The fluid was definately antifreeze (Motorcraft Gold) and water. What confuses me is why after driving the car 127 miles (short runs) there were no leaks. Only after I added more anti-freeze and water it leaked. It leaked about the same amount of fluid that I added.
Befuddled.............

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It could have just traveled along the belly pan over to the passenger side. I have overheated the GT at the track and seen the overflow cap "pop." There would be no mistaking this event as it cause a big mess and left a lot of residue around the cap. I have never seen or heard of issues on the passenger side.

As a side note, I now use water (and two bottles of water wetter) for the main coolant and the intercooler. I also add a few bottles of red food coloring so I can see the fluid levels in the tank.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Blue GT, I had the same problem. Had to drop chin spoiler and add another radiator clamp...... Two is always better than one! :lol

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Oh, I didn't notice it was the front of the car.

Blue GT

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Washington State
Problem Sovled

I located a small hole in the lower radiator hose. Apparently, when I overfilled the coolant system the extra pressure found the area of the greatest weekness. The hole was small enough that it took the extra pressure to open the hole.
Thanks for your help guys. As I mentioned before I rebuilt this car from scratch. If you guys need any special pictures or feed back let me know.
Thanks, Dan

faried

May 23, 2011
If u don’t mind I like to see where the problem was. I am a novice and want to learn. Thanks Dan