Seat bolts...A Warning, PLEASE READ

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
As many of you know we have worked on quite a few of the X'1 and we have found another issue that should be known to the X1 owners. We have seen this a few times now and don't think it is a one off issue anymore. The issue is with the washers that they put under the seats because of the reinforced floorpan. They used the original seat bolts (which are not long enough any more) causing only about 5 threads of bolt engagement. On a car that the seat belts are bolted to the chassis probably not a big deal but since the seat belts are bolted to the seats and the seats bolted to the chassis this is a big deal. On the cars that we get through the shop we will check as replace these as needed with the proper bolts.

Just added a pic of the OE bolt, longer bolt and the washer that is used to space the seat track assembly away from the reinforced floorpan.

Last edited:

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Thank you Rich for this post. What bolt would you recommend other owners do who do not have access to your shop, or services because of distance. Could they purchase the bolts from you and have it changed at their convenience?

thegtguy

Apr 20, 2006
MI
Bolts

Thank you Rich for this post. What bolt would you recommend other owners do who do not have access to your shop, or services because of distance. Could they purchase the bolts from you and have it changed at their convenience?

I will have the exact bolt spec that we use tomorrow when I get back to the shop. Then the owners can either get the bolts themselves or they can let us know and we can ship them out. So either way.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Thanks Rich, I'd hate for the seat to come off in an accident. That'd make for a bad day. :frown

Oh, have you changed mine, on both cars?

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Speaking of loose seats, here's a very lucky guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkDm-BNpasQ

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Great cautionary post!

cedarstang

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
As a new GTX1 owner THANKS!

thegtguy

Apr 20, 2006
MI
Thanks Rich, I'd hate for the seat to come off in an accident. That'd make for a bad day. :frown

Oh, have you changed mine, on both cars?

On the blue car yes. You will have to check on the Tungsten.

The bolts that we use are Socket head cap screws that still have the clearance needed for the seat tracks.

It is a 10mm bolt, 1.50 thread pitch, 30mm long (thread length only) and grade 12.9. It uses an 8mm allen wrench.

Aug 25, 2006
Great post; thank you

Takes care

Shadowman

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
:thumbsupRich Thanks for the post Just had the car serviced and they found a loose bolt. Now I am off to the screw store.:thumbsup

Jim

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Rich, I guess I'm on my way to the store also. The Tungsten also has the short bolts. :frown

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
Rich,
Have you done the replacement on ours already?

Thanks for the post.

Aug 25, 2006
Rich; thank you for the "great" information

I just replaced them on a GTX-1 and I was dumbfounded when the OEM bolts were removed as there were barely any threads engaged.

It could have been a serious issue

All the best

Shadowman

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks, Rich. I'm late to the game but will check it out. :cheers

thegtguy

Apr 20, 2006
MI
Bolts

Rich,
Have you done the replacement on ours already?

Thanks for the post.

Took care of it last week. That was another car with short bolts.

Pic of OE bolt with aftermarket washer stackup and the new bolt (bolts) we put in.

Attachments

• IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 498

Steve Woodrough

GTX1 Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 31, 2007
St. Petersburg, Florida
Thanks, Rich. We replaced all eight bolts this past weekend. Actually, Bernard Guerin did the work while I watched.

Keep up the good work.

Steve