Project 321 Bumper Delete Kit

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Tomy, how did you remove the bumper brace (the one that goes INTO the car) to paint that as well as the bumper plate?? Is it easy, hard, mind numbingly difficult??

Just mask off the screens and paint the posts in place. Use one of those larger disposable drop cloths and just cut some holes at the post locations and tape in place. If you go through all of the work to remove the posts you have kind of defeated the purpose of ease of installation.

Tape off the screen area real good. Lightly sand the posts and use a good pre paint solvent to remove any wax. I used a Krylon semi Flat paint on theposts which matches the screens pretty good. Do not worry about putting tape on the posts. Let the spray go naturally along the post and it will hide the silver part of the post past the end of the screens.

Last edited:

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
I just left my posts silver. You hardly notice it at all. Also, that makes putting it back to stock a very simple 15 to 20 minute process.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Anyone have pics of a red car with this kit?

PROJECT321

Nov 13, 2008
Fresno, Ca
Anyone have pics of a red car with this kit?

Check here.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14128&highlight=bumper+plates

Those pics look like the first prototypes we did. The production versions are a little shorter like the pics in this thread. But they will give you a good idea of how they would look on a red car.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks Stormcat for the post. It's easier to only remove the bumper and tape off while painting. A good painter knows what to do so it looks Factory installed. Tomy Hamon

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
If you pick the right color for your car you don't have to worry about the posts matching. :wink

Can't wait till mine show up next week. That said, with my DIY skills :eek this will be the ultimate test of whether "anyone" can do the install. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I do okay. :lol :cheers

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks Stormcat for the post. It's easier to only remove the bumper and tape off while painting. A good painter knows what to do so it looks Factory installed. Tomy Hamon

I Agree..

If you pick the right color for your car you don't have to worry about the posts matching. :wink

Can't wait till mine show up next week. That said, with my DIY skills :eek this will be the ultimate test of whether "anyone" can do the install. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I do okay. :lol :cheers

You'll do just fine...

1) Loosen all four bolts on each side.
2) Remove move three of the four bolts on each side. Leave in one bolt per side. (preferably one of the top bolts)
3) Place a glove over each exhaust tip and tape in place. ( the cotton jersey type with the elastic cuffs work great )
4) Remove one of the remaining screws from either side. You can let the bumper rest on the covered exhaust tips.
5) Than remove the bolt on the other side. The bumper is now free and resting on the covered exhaust tips. Carefully slide it off and install the new plates.

It took me longer to type this than it will take you to do this project ..:biggrin

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
Very nice pieces! I just installed them on my project car.
Thanks again Brian.
Michael

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Very nice pieces! I just installed them on my project car.
Thanks again Brian.
Michael

Hey Michael,, I'm happy to hear you like them !! This is a major first for you. Installing an appearance Item before the hardware is done !! :biggrin

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
I must be getting desperate! Soon she'll be making noise.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
It really IS a DIY project, because if I can do it anyone can do it. :lol

Seriously it took me 45 minutes with borrowed tools from my neighbor and Stormcat's great instructions. It would have took me a lot less time if I actually had the tools myself and if I had ever actually used a wrench before. :confused (Just kidding.....I have used a wrench before.....I just can't remember when)

That said it looks really great on the car. Thanks Stormcat and Jake!!:cheers

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

Seriously it took me 45 minutes with borrowed tools from my neighbor and Stormcat's great instructions. It would have took me a lot less time if I actually had the tools myself and if I had ever actually used a wrench before. :confused (Just kidding.....I have used a wrench before.....I just can't remember when)

Tom, pics of you doing the install, wrench in hand, or else I don't believe you did it! :wink:lol:wink

Congrats man, I knew you had it in you. Now show us some pictures of your installed handiwork! :cheers

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I must be getting desperate! Soon she'll be making noise.

I'll be waiting for a ride !!! :biggrin

..Good to hear !! :biggrin

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Bumper plates arrived today along with the coil covers. These look really terrific. SO much better than they do in photographs!! I'm REALLY digging it!! THANKS JAKE!!!

I might need to do a little more orange trim around the back of the car now.... :biggrin

EDIT - Don't we have just the coolest looking license plates?? :lol

Attachments

• P321 Bumper plates Side.jpg
    P321 Bumper plates Side.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 524
  • P321 Bumper plates.jpg
    P321 Bumper plates.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Really looks good in Black with the Heritage color. Exhaust also looks great extending out the back! Tomy

GT-350 KID

Jan 23, 2008
Denver, Colorado
"I might need to do a little more orange trim around the back of the car now.... "

Like this maybe? And pardon my lack of artistic ability.

Last edited:

PROJECT321

Nov 13, 2008
Fresno, Ca
"I might need to do a little more orange trim around the back of the car now.... "

YES! that would look nice.

The more I see the bumper plates the more I like them.

Thanks for the pics Pro!!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

"Lack"?? Quite exactly like that!! Yes!!!

YES! that would look nice.

The more I see the bumper plates the more I like them.

Thanks for the pics Pro!!

Jake, honestly, thank YOU!!! Pictures are such a pity with this because they look SO much better in person than they do in photographs!!! The plates are surprisingly close to the car! And the exhaust tips, while they do stick out, are still within the 'vertical line' of the rear of the car!!! I might get them cut and shortened, we'll see. But really, it's an amazing look. So again Jake, THANK YOU!!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Looks very nice !

DataDale

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 21, 2007
Dearborn Hgts.
Jake
you thought about offering them with a optional hole and plug?
that would accomadate the tow hook for recovery. Scout moto be prepairred.
Recovery of a GT from the rear, has to be a nightmare.
The only place to get a chain on is the rear wheels & ooch to the rear facsia.
Not to mention damage to the wheels.