Another use for the non-functional brake ducts for 05 FGTs - A trickle charger port!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Cooltec has a nice trickle charger solution for 06 cars. But the grill on an 05 makes the placement of the charge port problematic. All you need to do is remove the front splitter and drill a 1 1/16 hole into the duct cover.

I found this marine power port that uses a standard cig lighter plug and mounted in one of the air ducts. Ignore the label being upside down. The final placement will have the correct orientation.

http://www.marinco.com/product/sealink-deluxe-12-volt-receptacle

Attachments

• Power jack1.jpg
    Power jack1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 453
  • Power jack2.jpg
    Power jack2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 790
H

HHGT

I know where BMW drivers would place that plug....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

I haven't worked on that one yet, but I should I keep opening the hood to charge it. Less painful than on a FGT. Besides the open hood reminds me to disconnect the charger before using the car. With the brake duct port, if I forget to unplug, NBD, it will disconnect automatically without any damage. :biggrin

If you get your Z8 I will help you find a place to put the charging port. :rofl

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

And I know whom they might lovingly place the plug on first...

H

HHGT

And I know whom they might lovingly place the plug on first...

Randy, somehow I think love is completely out of the equation :bored.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The proper electrical connection is to have the "hot" side in a receptacle (female side) - supplying power to the plug-in (male) connector, in order to protect the power supply. In this case, however, it hardly matters as 12 VDC is not dangerous, and I believe that the output of the battery tender is protected (current limited) if shorted. Just my $0.02.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The proper electrical connection is to have the "hot" side in a receptacle (female side) - supplying power to the plug-in (male) connector, in order to protect the power supply. In this case, however, it hardly matters as 12 VDC is not dangerous, and I believe that the output of the battery tender is protected (current limited) if shorted. Just my $0.02.

I haven't checked the standard output of the battery tenders cig plug, but I would guess that the + is on the center pin and GND is on the outside. Whatever is standard for a cig lighter is what I plan to do. The port can also be used to get power from the car, e.g. using an inverter to power your a/c appliances, etc. But that feature is a two edge sword. If I use heavy enough wire to draw lets say 15 amps, then the port can also be used to quickly drain the battery to disable the alarm for easier theft. If I fuse for 2 amps the thieves would have to wait a long time, but the port would only be useful for trickle charging.

Now for Sam's BMW, the plug is always inserted into backside, rather the the usually frontside.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I made the brake ducts functional.Ask the Gt guys .Very trick

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I made the brake ducts functional.Ask the Gt guys .Very trick

I looked at it and both sides have issues. One side the a/c plumbing needs to be moved and on the other a radiator bracket is in the way. Do you have any photos on how the ducts are routed to the rotors?

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Brake ducts

I looked at it and both sides have issues. One side the a/c plumbing needs to be moved and on the other a radiator bracket is in the way. Do you have any photos on how the ducts are routed to the rotors?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14885&highlight=functional+brake+ducts

Yes the a/c line has to be reworked to make clearance for the tubing.