Speedometer Busted

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Kendall, how much to fix my speedometer? I will try to figure out how to pull it tomorrow and then get the details to get it shipped to you. Jeff

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Kendall,

This is just the news I was waiting to hear. I had the same thought...why not just swap the internals with different tach leaving the face, needles and housing the same. Hope it works!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
OP - Unfortunately given your description, it is a failed speedometer. VERY unlikely to be a bad ground, etc :(

As others have said, you can get "new" gauges directly from Autometer for all of the small gauges but not for the tach or speedo. But you DO have another alternative. We are just starting a repair service for the Tachs and Speedos. This involves replacing all of the internals (not with the OEM Autometer electroncis) but maintaining the same housing, glass, needle and face. We would like to get to a point where we can do these on an exchange basis - we'll send you a "fixed" one and you send us the bad one. Right now we need a bad speedo donor - if anyone has one, please let us know. Our first repaired tach is shipping out this week to an owner who can validate our approach.

Fantastic, Kendall. Do you plan on doing the same with the smaller gauges or is just buying one of the new 'improved' versions more cost effective?

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Kendall, what is the cost to fix a speedometer?

Jays1953vette

Nov 8, 2007
I just purchased a 2005 Ford GT, 1250 miles and meticulously maintained (it was previously in Ken Lingerfelter's collection). The only issue is that the speedometer does not move off of 0 MPH. I would like to replace the speedometer sensor and am wondering if that is something an individual can do himself? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Jay

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I suppose it could be the sensor. Cheap enough to give it a try. $20 and 10 minutes. Discussion in this thread:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/29099-Odd-Speedometer-Behavior

FireShot Capture 019 - Transmission Modules and Sensors for _ - https___www.fordpartsgiant.com_p.jpg

Last edited:

Jays1953vette

Nov 8, 2007
Thank you. Much appreciated. Jay

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If you have access to a ScanGauge you can diagnose. If the ScanGauge shows speed, then it is the speedometer and not the VSS.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
If you have access to a ScanGauge you can diagnose. If the ScanGauge shows speed, then it is the speedometer and not the VSS.

yes and highly doubtful its the vss..

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Just bite the bullet and order a complete set of Speedhut gauges. Problem is the wait time. I ordered my Speedhut gauges back in early December and I am still waiting for them. Every time I call for and update I get nothing but excuses about the ongoing delays. Originally I was promised 2-3 weeks delivery time. It has now been 10 weeks.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What is the status on nota4re's rebuild service?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I will open a thread so that it easier to find but the status is.... We have fixed several speedos and tachs - even a speedo in kph. The price is $725 with your core. While initially it was taking us 3-4 weeks to turn them around, I think we can now do the repair in 10 days or less. The "repair" is to retrofit Speedhut internals while everything else about your gauge remains the same - Same housing, treated glass, needle, lighting, background, and even the connector. When you receive the gauge back, simply plug it in and put the dash back together.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That sounds like a great solution. :thumbsup