Soft Top finally done & tested

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I am also interested in this top for my GTX 1. Who does the fitting? I live in Colorado.

Sorry Andy,

I was on vacation when this question was posted. Steve Hemstock does it currently. He is out of WI., his number is 715-702-2727. But if you give him a call he can help you with any questions. Also Shadowman can do the install. He is out of No. California. PM him if desired.
And there is the GT Guys, see below.

Last edited:

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Soft top

Here is the second car done with the new soft top. Thank you Kelly (GTX1-007) for sending your car to us for the grocery list of mods that you wanted to do. Here are some pics of the new top on his car. Overall I would say that it is a nice kit that serves a range of purposes. We tested this car to about 80mph and found a little extra wind noise compared to normal GT but it does have a canvas top on it. It come apart in 8 pieces that can be folded up and put in the front of the car and behind the seats. Multiple pieces but it can be put in the car and only used when wanted to. The rear glass area is water tight and will hold water so you don't have to worry about getting the subwoofer wet. Around the door windows will have to be fit per car in order to put the sealing surfaces in the correct position and will keep 99% of the water out. We didn't put water on this one but in one of my many conversations with Steve he says that this top is not waterproof but water resistant. On this car the center bars are painted silver to match the look of the car and it has the lights in there as well. Hopefully when Kelly gets back from vaca he can add to this as the latest version will be waiting for him when he returns.
The install wasn't too bad but will take some time especially with making a template and sending it back to Steve for him to build the kit to the car.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Interesting Diffuser - was that standard on the GTX1, or is it an aftermarket?

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Diffuser

Interesting Diffuser - was that standard on the GTX1, or is it an aftermarket?

That was an option when they (Gennadi) were building the X1's. On this car we did a CDC bumper delete and kept that diffuser and modified his cf exhaust bezel from his bumper to go with the theme.
On another note we now have the ability replace those diffusers, as we had to replace one from a third party shipping damage. A new tool was made and we can supply those to X1 owners or anyone else.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
A new tool was made and we can supply those to X1 owners or anyone else.

Well that's good to know. :thumbsup

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Nice job as always. For me it will be an emergency top which may never see road use. As such, it's mighty fine. :cheers

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
That looks WAY better than the Ferrari factory's solution for the 550 Barchetta!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I just spoke with Steve this morning and he is starting the next batch of tops. An improvement has been made so that a template is no longer needed. He mentioned that if you want a top before the Rally your order must be placed very soon.

Another item that he has come up with is a cover for the cover. Made out of Nylon to make the top completely watertight if it is parked outdoors. It folds up to about the size of your fist when not needed. I can't remember who already received it, but if they could post photo's that would be great.

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
I just got all my parts put on for a finished product, VERY NICE job. I'm thinking about just leaving mine on most of the time; I don't think the top detracts one bit from the overall kickassedness of the car and in a way I think it looks more streamlined.

Thanks to the John Galts of the group, those that innovate and always look for a better engine to run the world, the rest of us appreciate it. I'm not ready to shrug just yet.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
It is ILLEGAL to own an X1 and leave the top on at all times!!!

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Wait till you see my tan from having the top off, they might just deport me a couple hundred miles further South while at the rally. I've put 2000 MORE miles (3500 total) on the odo since you sent her my way. (6 months)

It'll be interesting to see what the AC actually feels like with the top on.

All the craftsmanship in that top and I'm like a monkey, can’t stop playing with the GTX1 courtesy lights in the middle support bars....mmmmm shinny objects. The lights are just wicked cool.

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
How do you make the doors open like that? Top looks GREAT!

Jim

Thanks for the kind feed back boys, I'm very glad you like it.:thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Wait till you see my tan from having the top off, they might just deport me a couple hundred miles further South while at the rally. I've put 2000 MORE miles (3500 total) on the odo since you sent her my way. (6 months)

It'll be interesting to see what the AC actually feels like with the top on.

All the craftsmanship in that top and I'm like a monkey, can’t stop playing with the GTX1 courtesy lights in the middle support bars....mmmmm shinny objects. The lights are just wicked cool.

I am very glad that you are enjoying the new addition to your gal; including the integrated lighting.

There is no doubt that there is a laundry list of very cool personal touch and performance items available for these gals and yet IMO a removable canvass top that can be stored within these gals is not so much an item worthy of consideration but rather a must have item for all of the GTX-1’s; including those with Kip’s extremely cool removable hardtop.

Takes care

Shadowman

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Shadowman I couldn't agree more. Must be why after getting the soft tops, I now have both cars at Kips.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Very cool, now one just needs some red shoes! Looks marvelous!