Fuel Filler Neck Issue

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
This is an ongoing problem . There may be more future failures as the GT ages. I think it would be helpful to have a list of the symptoms, codes and resolutions in one section.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

clements

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
fuel filler neck problems

when is someone going to come up with a solution for the mickey mouse flapper valve that causes problems for so many gt owners ? can we replace it with a plug. gt guys say that the replacement is the same original part that many owners have replaced numerous times. we need a fix.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I sadly am in CA, any non-OEM fix will have to be CARB approved or it would fail the smog inspection. Going forward the filler will be a PITA. I had to replace one with under 6k miles! The flapper broke "clean off."

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I've not experienced any problems with mine at all. With 100's of fill-ups.

The vapor recovery in California can be a bit temperamental, but being both gentle and forceful the seal is made and the gas flows.

Having the flapper/check valve break is not all that common.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
This seems like a case where the designing engineer over slicked himself, I mean just put a damn gas cap on it already dude lol.

Reactions: Natee

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Ford has added this "feature" to several of their mainstream cars- I wonder if there have been some improvements that might adapt to the GT.......

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ford has added this "feature" to several of their mainstream cars- I wonder if there have been some improvements that might adapt to the GT.......

I would hope so, or Ford's warranty costs will go up.

Has anyone had any success getting this covered after 3 years/36000 miles using the extended smog warranty?

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada

This is where we need Mr. Shadowman to chime in. I'm fairly certain that he would have some ideas up his sleeve. :wink