General tips for new owners

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Any other items that should be on this list?

A FEW FORD GT TIPS FOR THE NEW OWNER

1) Remember, 500 lb-ft of torque and no traction control. Be careful out there.

2) You will bump your head on the door, but probably not more than twice. Passengers, however, will do it over and over.

3) To open front "trunk," use remote. Or insert key in driver side slot, turn, and lift lever. Note, if when you close the trunk it only latches halfway and you want to reopen it, the remote won't work, you have to use the key and lever.

4) To close front trunk (the only fiberglass part on the car), press down hard between center scoop and windshield wiper until you hear a click.

5) To open engine cover, latch is in rear headliner area of interior. Then there are two safety latches you can release from driver's side (if your arms are long).

6) To close engine cover, hold a foot or two up, then let it drop and slam. Do not use two people or put sideways pressure on the cover when it is closing, this has damaged the safety latches on several cars.

7) The car has no jack, lug wrench, or spare tire. A FordGTforum member makes nylon pucks that protect the car when using a lift, see http://www.gtsaver.com/

8) First gear is very tall (this allows great 0-to-60 times for magazines, since no shift is required). But first is so tall, third almost feels the same. A few GT owners have ruined the clutch by starting in 3rd. Don't do that.

9) If you need more headroom, the company that offers the roadster conversion can lower the seat two inches. See www.GTX1.com

10) Car doesn't have gas cap, just hinged flap. Some owners have damaged this by roughly inserting a fuel nozzle.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Centerpunch,

Great post! I'd add the following (all of which are from direct experience):

11) The engines on these cars don't burn oil.

12) If you don't use your car for about three weeks and you don't plug your battery into a trickle charger your battery will be dead.

13) Don't spend too much time looking for storage space. There isn't any. However there is a mesh storage slot at the front of each seat (near the floor).

14) There is one storage space in the front of the car however do not put anything in it that will melt. It will melt.

15) Ford says the car is 550 hp. They all come from the factory with more than 550 hp. It's just a matter of how much more. Once again be careful out there!

16) If you close your eyes and feel the soft rubber part around the gear shift it feels like a woman's body part.

17) If you have a seventy year old widow as a neighbor she will tell you that the sound your car makes when you start it “makes her whole body tingle as if she were twenty again.”

18) Get a smaller pulley. It's worth every penny of what it will cost.

19) Do not ride with SLF360 in any of his cars. Ever. You will soil your pants.

20) If you ever find yourself in the city of Le Mans, France on a highway and a Porsche 996 Turbo S pulls onto the road directly in front of you, sees you and accelerates hard, put your right foot to the floor and shift quickly. Make sure to wave when you go past him.

21) Pray to God that the people who built this wonderful car are healthy, happy and truly understand what a joy they have bestowed upon all of us. May God bless them all!

I think that about does it.

Rob

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Both of you guys - GREAT POSTS! - I can only add - on closing the clamshell - the guys at Saleen showed me that if you place your hand in the middle of the stripes just above the vents and gently but firmly push down like you are closing a door - it just positively, evenly shuts! No muss, No fuss. What a revelation! :biggrin

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
NOTE: this is from an old post!

NOTE: this is from an old post!

Yeah,

These guys are giving you good advice.

Some of "Jay's Laws":

1. Never "thrash" (drive hard) on a cold engine. Always wait until the water temperature is >160 F (in other word, approaches equalibrium). The moving components within the engine expand at different rates and therefore their proper clearances aren't established until then. Your GT engine has forged pistons which must be up to operating temperature before the proper piston to cylinder wall clearance is established.

2. The tranny will shift with some difficulty until warm, especially into second gear. Be gentle on it, as with time (about 2,000 miles or so) it will begin to shift more smoothly. Shift from 1st to 3rd (bypassing 2nd) or double-clutch if needed.

3. Stop-and-go city driving is a better way to break in a GT (this is my opinion, based on the transmission issues). Shift through all of the gears whenever possible which also operates the engine at many different RPM's.

4. Resist the urge to get too wild and crazy, give it some time to generate a good feel for the car. You have a lot of power here. Most GT disasters occur during that "got to get in it quick and see what this baby can do" moment. This ain't no Yugo...

5. Be extra careful when backing up, due to very limited visibility. The front spoiler also needs consideration. The rear diffuser hangs fairly low, so be careful when going through nasty road bumps (I got nicked on day two...).

6. I make my auto detailer purchase cleaning supplies to be used on my car only (buffing wheels, polishing clothes. etc.). I wash them myself. I don't want someone else's dirty laundry being used on my car!

7. At the tire shop, I have my own personal replaceable plastic parts for their tire changing machine that are to be used only on my wheels. I paid for these parts and they swap them out temporarily for use on my car. Sure, it cost more, but I like to keep things clean.

8. Cold tires and cold and/or wet pavement can be a dangerous combo. Remember Roberto Guerrero in the beginning lap of the Indy 500, years ago? Your car has enough power to reproduce that maneuver!

Spend some time reviewing the numerous postings on this forum as we are fortunate to have an excellent owner's group!

Jay,
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

www.gtsaver.com

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
16) If you close your eyes and feel the soft rubber part around the gear shift it feels like a woman's body part.

17) If you have a seventy year old widow as a neighbor she will tell you that the sound your car makes when you start it “makes her whole body tingle as if she were twenty again.”

These two seem linked somehow.... :lol

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Neil

I have the wrong widow 2 doors away. All she does is bitch about the noise.

Dave

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Neighbours can be a pain in the rear or a total delight.

We only have one neighbour - and they recently moved out, a new family has moved in and already we're hating it!

It's not that we don't like them or anything, we haven't even met them. It's just because they're 'new'!!

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
In my experience it's best to close the forward 'trunk' by putting your hand directly over the catch and pressing down in one smooth, gentle motion. This would place your hand at the front of the NACA duct, instead of between the duct and the windshield wiper.

Also as mentioned before warn EVERY passenger regarding the door when they get in AND out of the car. I've got some friends that have a bad impression of the car due to banged noggins...

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
One other suggestion. You may find that both doors are difficult to close. I have tried a myriad of adjustments with no success. What does work,however, is to slightly crack the windows if possible. Doors close "like butter." One more testament to build quality. :thumbsup

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I would add dropping the front hood as well. I tried the press down; and at worst it can deform sides or edges over time, as on some of these there is no click. Leaving the cover in there makes it harder to colse as well for me.

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area
One brief add to Jay's advise:

]1. Never "thrash" (drive hard) on a cold engine. Always wait until the water temperature is >160 F (in other word, approaches equalibrium). The moving components within the engine expand at different rates and therefore their proper clearances aren't established until then. Your GT engine has forged pistons which must be up to operating temperature before the proper piston to cylinder wall clearance is established.

Although the 160 degree water temp is probably adequate, when the temp gauge reaches 160 degrees, the oil temp is barely even warm to the touch. The dry sump system holds a lot of oil, so maybe a little additional time would be a good idea.

One of my brand X cars (also dry sump with same oil quantity) has both water and oil temp gauges. When the water temp gauge shows full operating temp, the oil temp gauge needle is still resting on the left peg. The car's manual suggests low rpm only until oil temp is at full operating temp.

Just something to think about.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Great list guys!! :cheers
I hope to pick mine up this aft. :banana Probably won't drive it yet because winter is setting in quickly here in the great white north! Canuckville. :frown
Cold roads and cold tires don't mix especially with this much juice at the rear. :eek My neighbour put his away before Haloween.
Hope to post some pics later.

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
My contributions:

-- 17.5 gallon gas tank is smaller than many. Watching the gas gauge gives a false impression of poor gas mileage. In fact, mileage is good but you do need to be careful when you are below 1/4 tank and there are long distances between gas stations.

-- double declutching gets you smoothly into second gear on cold mornings

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
A couple more:

The area around the rear license plate gets HOT! If you have a habit of mounting plastic license plate frames on your car, break it. Or upgrade it to metal license plate frames.

If you're below about 6 foot, two inches tall (and depending on the angle you like to keep your torso at) you will likely end up with a sizable space between the seat and the rear bulkhead. Beyond the canvas pockets that are back there you can actually squeeze various small items like a coat, water botter or the GTSAVER jack adapters (I'm 6 feet even, and I regularly keep all three back there). If your passenger is even smaller you now have room for a purse or small carry-on behind her (or his? :eek ) chair. (As Seinfeld said, "It's European!")

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
My tips for new owners:

1. When starting off, always make SURE the car is in first.
  2. When getting out, always remember the door is likely right above your head when you stand up.
  3. Use the nets in front of the seats, the space behind the seats, the entirety of the front trunk, the passenger side footwell storage area, and you have enough space for a reasonable trip.
  4. Do not ride the clutch out from a dead stop. If you want to drag race, drive it with your right foot, not your left.
  5. At the track, stay in 3rd gear as much as you can and let the torque pull you around. Excessive 2nd gear is prone to make the car overheat.
  6. Get a trans cooler. It's worth it. It only got cut from the final product because of cost considerations.
  7. Don't attempt to top up the fuel tank. You could end up with fuel running out the bottom of your car. I've seen it happen. Twice.
  8. Never overestimate your ability to handle a Ford GT, stock or otherwise.
  9. Never use WOT under 50* temperatures, and even when it's warmer out, be careful. Cold goodyears and cold outdoor temps can really bite you in the ass.
  10. If you have a problem with your car, demand to be present if you have a dealer service it. If they won't let you, find another dealer.
  11. Drive it. Alot. Ford GT's that sit in garages or only go 50 mph dislike their owners.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My only addition is; slide the seat completely back when getting out .This will reduce wear on the bolsters.
Thank you all for the laugh and smiles!
Can't wait to go home and feel up my gear shift booty!!!! Now my wife will really think something is going on in the garage!Rob your a bad influence!!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My tips for new owners:

[7]Don't attempt to top up the fuel tank. You could end up with fuel running out the bottom of your car. I've seen it happen. Twice.
[/LIST]

And your shoe will be wet with fuel; rubber soles will be very slippery and stinky.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Never overestimate your ability to handle a Ford GT, stock or otherwise.:thumbsup

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
1. Buy and extra front spoiler or two as back up. It is easy to scrape the front end going into angled driveways (run about $180.00).
2. Purchase an extra rear diffuser system. Never know when you will damage the flutes and in the future these parts may not be available. ($1400.00)
3. Extra set of door sills and mats won't hurt either.
4. Take care of it, change the oil every 3000 miles or every year.
5. Keep it out of the elements as much as possible and in covered garages.
6. It performs less predicatable in snow, suggest moving to all year warm climate. More fun as you can drive the car 11-12 months a year.
7. Keep a decent level of detail on it, wax, enhancers, and protectants for the paint.
8. Open the engine compartment after a long run or heavy use, prevents heat from potentially warping the rear vents.
10. Installation of aftermarket rear exhausts may lead to rear vent clam shell warping.
11. 1st gear is way to the left, 3rd gear looks like first if you are not paying attention. Smoking the clutch is common from starting out in 3rd gear on a hill, okay once, but not more than that, and it is expensive to repair.
12. Be nice to your Ford Dealer, most of them are incrediblely nice people who are very proud of the FGT. Mine is a gem amongst dealerships.
13. Be careful not to be offended if someone in the Forum may make a comment that upsets you. There area lot of intense car guys in here who love their FGTs, it is generally a big happy family.
14. Remember, this is a car that most of us dreamed of owning when we were kids, never to have thought that it was possible now, and to have this unitlmate sports car is a unique opportunity.

My FGT has no price! And if I had more than one, none of them would have a price! :banana

To download the original "The One Videos"
http://www.fordgt.net/gt_videos.html

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
15. Never underestimate your ability to appreciate driving a FGT