Lift - 4 Post or other - Megathread

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I paid about $6K for two each four post direct lifts. Price includes four hydraulic jacks, drip pans, casters, delivery and installation.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
GT in.... very impressive garage!! :)
DonnyM.... is that avatar kosher? ?? :)

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
BendPak HD9-B (Wide) $2,625. Rolling Jack with wheels - $1,150.
Casters $199. Drip Pan $199 and THREW THEM AWAY when I went Wide!

Go to Garagejournal.com and use the search function over there.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I am interested in a couple of lifts but I want one of the type that scissors from the side so I can remove wheels & tires or a transmission etc. The other can be a drive-on. Price and quality are considerations. Any suggestions? I have plenty of room.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Donny, that avatar is waaaay creepier than my stuff. :lol

GT in.... very impressive garage!! :)

DBK, that avatar is the Vegas SEMA dinner waitress that kept asking me for BONY's phone number.

BONY, BTW - had my first Makers yesterday - do believe I will have another. I like your style.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Thanks to all for the excellent input. Very much appreciated by my lazy butt. Will read and pick one this week.

Thanks again!

UFO74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Purchased 4 post lift from Eagle Equipment in 1999. Ford GT fits fine. Do not know whether they are still in business. Call Toll Free 1 800 536 0016 for catalog. They had a number of models to fit all uses and price ranges. Pictures of each model and number of options for each model contained in catalog, may be helpful. Have had no problems so far.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I am interested in a couple of lifts but I want one of the type that scissors from the side so I can remove wheels & tires or a transmission etc. The other can be a drive-on. Price and quality are considerations. Any suggestions? I have plenty of room.

Yes.

I've had my BendPak MD-6XP scissor lift for a couple of years.. Very versatile, easy to move around, well built, and relatively cheap ($1700 or so now). Great for getting wheels off, brake work, or detailing (unless you prefer to lie on your back :wink). Norco and Mohawk are other good brands, but are more $$.

I have since added a 4 post - BendPak as well - but that serves different needs: storage, complete under-car access, etc.

Tip: Your FGT's won't fit well on a lot of 4 post lifts due to the track width. Measure 2x, buy 1x. Easily fit on BPak's HD-9 (per comment above).

:cheers

IMG_6595-1.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

BlueInAir.jpg

BendPak4PostLift78.jpg

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, what a GREAT idea. :cheers

I was all set to get a hydraulic jack for my HD9 (which I will be ordering next week). I was concerned however with it fitting a hydraulic jack given that I want (need) to use the 'wide' track setting on the HD9 (44 inches vs 37 inches). And ONE hydraulic lift will only lift either end of the car at a time. And it seems that all the jack stands are built for a 'skinny' 37" width of tracks.

And then this post. This scissor lift is barely more than a SINGLE hydraulic jack. And it'll lift the WHOLE car!! So it's WAY cheaper than TWO Hydraulic jacks. Hmmm, methinks I might pass on the hydraulic jack and get one of these instead! Use the HD9 for storage and under car access, and the scissor for all those other times.

So tell me, HIRISC, cause now I'm really curious, is this scissor lift something that you can 'park' over on a regular basis (I see your plywood ramps, but that's probably just for getting on it), or do you need to move it "out of the way" when it's not being used? If it needs to be moved out of the way, how hard is it to move, and can it be stored 'vertically' (like against a wall or something?)?

This is a whole new idea to me, but seems to make more sense than a hydraulic jack if the costing is as suggested. Good thing I wasn't set on getting the jack until next summer. Gives me lots of time to figure out what I want to do!!!

Yes.

I've had my BendPak MD-6XP scissor lift for a couple of years.. Very versatile, easy to move around, well built, and relatively cheap ($1700 or so now). Great for getting wheels off, brake work, or detailing (unless you prefer to lie on your back :wink). Norco and Mohawk are other good brands, but are more $$.

I have since added a 4 post - BendPak as well - but that serves different needs: storage, complete under-car access, etc.

Tip: Your FGT's won't fit well on a lot of 4 post lifts due to the track width. Measure 2x, buy 1x. Easily fit on BPak's HD-9 (per comment above).

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I did some intense research before purchasing my lift as well as many others that have posted on this thread. I do like Mad's lift because of the width and the price sounds real good to. However, I went with the Worth lift as it is made in the good Ole USA and it did have all the features that I was looking for including a competitive price. My father has a backyard buddy as it two is a good lift but the price IMO was way out of line when I did my research. A new member of our forum KDO GT also purchased this lift and he could get you updated pricing as we just installed it a month ago (feel free to PM him). Check out the Worth lifts and if you need more info feel free to PM me as you will need to purchase through a dealer and I have a real good contact that you could use.

http://www.worthequipment.com/parkinghobbylifts.htm

Attachments

• Picture 330.jpg
    Picture 330.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 635
  • IMAGE_024.jpg
    IMAGE_024.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 765

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Looks kind of funny, a treadmill next to two GT's.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Yea:lol:lol, I try and outrun the GT a few days a week:ack

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Donny, that avatar is waaaay creepier than my stuff. :lol

I like Donny's avatar [course, I'm from Texas too].:thumbsup

Suuuuure it is.:frown

DBK, that avatar is the Vegas SEMA dinner waitress that kept asking me for BONY's phone number.

Donny, don't be givin way all them secrets.:eek

That's cause Mike has been chasin that pig.:biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Well Freddy, your sense of humor seems to be returning.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Wow, what a GREAT idea. :cheers

I was all set to get a hydraulic jack for my HD9 (which I will be ordering next week). I was concerned however with it fitting a hydraulic jack given that I want (need) to use the 'wide' track setting on the HD9 (44 inches vs 37 inches). And ONE hydraulic lift will only lift either end of the car at a time. And it seems that all the jack stands are built for a 'skinny' 37" width of tracks.

And then this post. This scissor lift is barely more than a SINGLE hydraulic jack. And it'll lift the WHOLE car!! So it's WAY cheaper than TWO Hydraulic jacks. Hmmm, methinks I might pass on the hydraulic jack and get one of these instead! Use the HD9 for storage and under car access, and the scissor for all those other times.

So tell me, HIRISC, cause now I'm really curious, is this scissor lift something that you can 'park' over on a regular basis (I see your plywood ramps, but that's probably just for getting on it), or do you need to move it "out of the way" when it's not being used? If it needs to be moved out of the way, how hard is it to move, and can it be stored 'vertically' (like against a wall or something?)?

This is a whole new idea to me, but seems to make more sense than a hydraulic jack if the costing is as suggested. Good thing I wasn't set on getting the jack until next summer. Gives me lots of time to figure out what I want to do!!!

The lowest height of the car is the mechanical safety mounting @ 6" or so. If you're planning to park your FGT (or another 'low' car) on it, you'll need to build or buy some ramps. If you have an SUV or truck, then you can just park over it - no trouble.

The lift weighs 800+ lbs so you're not going to be able to stand it up for storage. That said, it's fairly easy to move around using the included dolly (which also houses the hydraulic pump).

A couple of things to know about the rolling bridge jacks:

If you have the extra room, then a scissor might still be your best bet. I like having both lifts, and I'm sure to be a hit for 'oil change day', but if I were to do it again, I'd have just bought the 4 post and a couple of rolling bridge jacks and been done.

If you want more pics/detail, read this.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks Doc

Well Freddy, your sense of humor seems to be returning.

The GT "Withdrawal / Post Traumatic Syndrome", from which I seem to suffer, is improving thanks to your vigilant "Alcohol / Nicotine Therapy" administered while in Las Vegas. :beer2:/ :poof:

There must be some kind of delayed reaction involved with the treatment of this specific affliction. :screwy:

Thanks Doc - your "bedside manor" saved me once again.

Now that is WAAAY WAAAY CREEPIER than Donny's pig. :eek

Aug 25, 2006
Here is is a problem

The BenPak sliding formerly known as rolling bridge jacks are no longer available.

The new style use Teflon blocks that somewhat poorly can be forced down the track however the greater issue is that the height of the jack was increased by over 1 1/2" which means that if your gal is lower than 4" she will not be able to go on the lift. FYI no Ford GT can be placed on a lift with the new style sliding bridge jacks.

This is not speculation as I went through the process

Now having shared this I have a couple lifts one with a pair of true rolling bridge jacks and yes the combination works very well.

Takes care

Shadowman

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Here is is a problem

The BenPak sliding formerly known as rolling bridge jacks are no longer available.

The new style use Teflon blocks that somewhat poorly can be forced down the track however the greater issue is that the height of the jack was increased by over 1 1/2" which means that if your gal is lower than 4" she will not be able to go on the lift. FYI no Ford GT can be placed on a lift with the new style sliding bridge jacks.

This is not speculation as I went through the process

Now having shared this I have a couple lifts one with a pair of true rolling bridge jacks and yes the combination works very well.

Takes care

Shadowman

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

When I started looking at the rolling jacks, I noticed slight differences in mounting methodology, but didn't realize those changes would reduce the ease of movement or that those changes increased the physical dimensions.

Is the stated 'stock' clearance on FGT's of 5" accurate?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sinovac, whne you bolted yours to the floor, how thick was your floor pour? How long were the bolts? Hammerdrill to make the holes and expanding bolts? Thanks for the info. Frank

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is the stated 'stock' clearance on FGT's of 5" accurate?

Mine (by actual measurement 'cause I wanted to know) measured 4-1/2" beneath the rear defuser(?) as I recall. (One place or another anyway.)