Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
LOL!

The Trouble With Tribbles

Crap, how do I remember that....:facepalm:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wasn't this Treatise on Viscosity posted in this thread somewhere or was that another thread?

Here it is, forgive the source; :wink

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136052

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Happy New Year, and long time, no hear, my GT brethren.

I attempted to change my oil this morning to start off the year. Everything going fine up until I pulled the drain plugs in the reservoir and the pan. The gaskets were absolutely shredded. Noticed some oil drops on the pan and on the underside of the belly pan. Have to assume the oil seeped through these sad gaskets. Can see in the second pic, there appears to be a rubber O-ring that sits directly against the drain bolt (which are in good condition) and a separate rubber gasket (which is the part that was shredded on all three). Had some rubber gaskets lying around that I attempted to use as a substitute but they're too big (third pic). It being New Year's Day, I just loosely replaced the plugs after draining the oil and obviously had to stop at this point with the car stranded on the lift. Anyone have a part number for the gasket that I'm praying the local dealer's parts counter has or can get quickly?

Attachments

• IMG_3989.JPG
    IMG_3989.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3990.JPG
    IMG_3990.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3991.JPG
    IMG_3991.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 37

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I believe a NAPA 704-1982 may work.

I could check the loose GT plug I have against the box of these seals I keep in the garage for a couple of my other cars.

Might be a day or 2 though.

Reactions: bonehead

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Happy New Year, and long time, no hear, my GT brethren.

I attempted to change my oil this morning to start off the year. Everything going fine up until I pulled the drain plugs in the reservoir and the pan. The gaskets were absolutely shredded. Noticed some oil drops on the pan and on the underside of the belly pan. Have to assume the oil seeped through these sad gaskets. Can see in the second pic, there appears to be a rubber O-ring that sits directly against the drain bolt (which are in good condition) and a separate rubber gasket (which is the part that was shredded on all three). Had some rubber gaskets lying around that I attempted to use as a substitute but they're too big (third pic). It being New Year's Day, I just loosely replaced the plugs after draining the oil and obviously had to stop at this point with the car stranded on the lift. Anyone have a part number for the gasket that I'm praying the local dealer's parts counter has or can get quickly?

Doctor, the underside of your car looks like one of your surgical operatories.

Do you dry-ice it at every service?

😎

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Doctor, the underside of your car looks like one of your surgical operatories.

Do you dry-ice it at every service?

😎
Ha. I was shocked as well at how tidy it was behind the belly pans. Well, aside from the light coating of oil on the oil pan that was probably coming from these leaking plugs.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
There should only be one gasket on each plug. The plug should bottom out on the pan, and you won't be able to see the gasket.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I believe a NAPA 704-1982 may work.

I could check the loose GT plug I have against the box of these seals I keep in the garage for a couple of my other cars.

Might be a day or 2 though.
It should work. This is the NAPA gasket with an OE plug.

IMG_3050.jpg

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
There should only be one gasket on each plug. The plug should bottom out on the pan, and you won't be able to see the gasket.
Sounds more like a crush washer. How are those reusable?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Crush washers generally shouldn't be reused (some thicker ones can be flat sanded and reused) The goofy O ring washer can. The outer lip of bolt head should bottom on pan, capturing the O ring

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

View attachment 67355

View attachment 67355
Found them at NAPA. Thanks for the tip. Assume you’ve used these with success? Last thing I need now is to fill the tank only to find a massive leak afterwards😩

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
@The Grey Ghost was spot on. Got three of the NAPA gaskets and they work perfectly.

Separate question: Motorcraft filter came with the large O-ring for the oil cap. There is a smaller 0-ring that goes on the tip side of the filter cage. Read on another thread that this isn't used. Probably explains why I couldn't find it when I pulled the old filter. Any harm in using it?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
@The Grey Ghost was spot on. Got three of the NAPA gaskets and they work perfectly.

Separate question: Motorcraft filter came with the large O-ring for the oil cap. There is a smaller 0-ring that goes on the tip side of the filter cage. Read on another thread that this isn't used. Probably explains why I couldn't find it when I pulled the old filter. Any harm in using it?
Don't install the small O ring. It's for a BMW?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Don't install the small O ring. It's for a BMW?
It's a Motorcraft filter from the local Ford dealer parts counter??

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
It's a Motorcraft filter from the local Ford dealer parts counter??
Got me second guessing
I just looked at 2 OEM filter kits. They come with an element, a large O ring for the lid, and a washer for the lid? if it were a BMW? The filter is printed Motorcraft and Mann(BMW)
No small O ring goes where it looks like one should. Could you? dunno.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Got me second guessing
I just looked at 2 OEM filter kits. They come with an element, a large O ring for the lid, and a washer for the lid? if it were a BMW? The filter is printed Motorcraft and Mann(BMW)
No small O ring goes where it looks like one should. Could you? dunno.
Hmmmm. This is now stressing me out. What washer are you referring to? My filter came with the element, and 2 rubber O-rings. One for the lid and the other much smaller one which only fits near the tip of the filter cage.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City

Ed, glad to help.
You may not remember, but we had a chance to visit at one of the rally dinners at the hotel in Vegas.
You were either just getting ready to, or had just moved to Texas.

Jeff

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Hmmmm. This is now stressing me out. What washer are you referring to? My filter came with the element, and 2 rubber O-rings. One for the lid and the other much smaller one which only fits near the tip of the filter cage.
I've only bought a half dozen filters and they all have contents like the pic on the other post. I've only worked on 3 different GTs and they never had the small O ring on the shaft or in the box.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed, glad to help.
You may not remember, but we had a chance to visit at one of the rally dinners at the hotel in Vegas.
You were either just getting ready to, or had just moved to Texas.

Jeff
Hey Jeff. Of course I recall. Great memory. I was on the verge of moving. I was still in Central CA during Vegas. Man....I miss the old rallies:(

Reactions: The Grey Ghost

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
This link shows both the Ford and BMW versions, including the O-ring purpose for both.