overall GT width at mirrors

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Any one know what the GT width is including the door mirrors?

I'm just trying to gauge how wide of an enclosed trailer I need when picking up my GT.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Did you already get your issue cleared up?

R

roger1197

76.9 inches

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Did you already get your issue cleared up?

Nope, not yet. :frown

I'm just doing some planning for the near future.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I think that you will find that the majority if not all enclosed car trailers are 8'-6" - the maximum allowed by law in many states.

I recently purchased a Featherlite enclosed trailer and I really like the quaility and the way it pulls, etc. The GT fits in with the rear wheels having a couple of inches to spare on each side before contact with the wheel wells.

Be careful on loading. Most ramp-style rear trailer doors have two small cables coming down and if you're not careful, you can snag a mirror on one of these cables. I prefer to winch the GTs into the trailer and I use a wireless remote. It is easy to stand where you need to be to insure the car is centered and there's no contact issues with these cables.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
76.9 inches

:thumbsup

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
I think that you will find that the majority if not all enclosed car trailers are 8'-6" - the maximum allowed by law in many states.

I recently purchased a Featherlite enclosed trailer and I really like the quaility and the way it pulls, etc. The GT fits in with the rear wheels having a couple of inches to spare on each side before contact with the wheel wells.

Be careful on loading. Most ramp-style rear trailer doors have two small cables coming down and if you're not careful, you can snag a mirror on one of these cables. I prefer to winch the GTs into the trailer and I use a wireless remote. It is easy to stand where you need to be to insure the car is centered and there's no contact issues with these cables.

Thanks for all the tips. :cheers

Jason

R

roger1197

:thumbsup

:thumbsup:cheers:wink

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
So trailers are typically 8'-6" wide inside.

I assume that the majority of GT owners load their car into trailers that have a totally flat bottom inside (no wheel well humps).

Can a GT be loaded into a 8'-6" trailer that has the wheel well humps inside?

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
It will fit in a standard car hauler - no problem.
Since the GT is so low I posted this trick before heading to Indy in '07.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6149&highlight=loading

:cheers
Trent

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
It will fit in a standard car hauler - no problem.
Since the GT is so low I posted this trick before heading to Indy in '07.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6149&highlight=loading

:cheers
Trent

FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for the loading tip :banana

Cheers
Jason

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
76.9 inches

This is not correct. I know this is an ancient thread, but I had the same question as the thread title, and thought I'd save the trip out to the garage with a forum search. When I read 76.9" I didn't believe it, so out to the garage I went.

76.9" is without the mirrors. Using two vertical levels I measured 83.5" - 83.75" at the outside edge of mirrors. Just want to leave the correct answer here for future searchers.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
This is not correct. I know this is an ancient thread, but I had the same question as the thread title, and thought I'd save the trip out to the garage with a forum search. When I read 76.9" I didn't believe it, so out to the garage I went.

76.9" is without the mirrors. Using two vertical levels I measured 83.5" - 83.75" at the outside edge of mirrors. Just want to leave the correct answer here for future searchers.

correct!! the tires alone are 77'' on my rear edge to edge. So with that in mind wheel wells need to be 82'' to clear wheels and tires. Mirrors will clear cause of tire wheel wells. Unless you are buying a trailer with floor above wheel wells. Then need to make sure its still 90'' inside wall to inside wall.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Everything clears in my Stcker even the lift posts..