diffuser repair

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I know this has been done before, but the material I used was a bit different and easy to use,

I had recieved some damage to my diffuser as I tried to get into a parking lot that had a rather sharp incline.:ack

diffuserrepair074.jpg

diffuserrepair070.jpg

I used this stuff called fast steel(epoxy) and a can of black paint. thats it. the fast steel is easy to use. take a piece and mix it in you hand, it has the consistency of play dow,

diffuserrepair076.jpg

diffuserrepair102.jpg

diffuserrepair104.jpg

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
once mixed just apply to the damaged area after the area has been prepped by cutting some undercuts in the damaged area for better retention.

diffuserrepair081.jpg

diffuserrepair082.jpg

diffuserrepair094.jpg

diffuserrepair096.jpg

diffuserrepair092.jpg

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
then grind off the excess I used a dremel tool and final shaping you can use a hand file this stuff works well and cleans up well.

diffuserrepair109.jpg

diffuserrepair127.jpg

then just give it a light spray of black paint,
:thumbsup:thumbsup

diffuserrepair145.jpg

diffuserrepair137.jpg

diffuserrepair140.jpg

it took me about 45 min not counting taking the diffuser off. and dont ask why the diffuser was off to begin with.:biggrin

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Soroush,
What is the Loctite Expoxy for?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Soroush,
What is the Loctite Expoxy for?

sorry bruce I just took a picture of both of them I bought it to try it and didnt like the consistency so I didnt use it, it just so happend when I took the pic that one came along for the ride.:biggrin

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
Soroush-

Can you fabricate a better story next time...:bored

How 'bout you hit the NOS and spun into a 720, almost pulled it off but the driveway you were pulling into had to much of an incline. :thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
You did a great job

Thank you for sharing the process

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
nice work!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Excellent and cheap fix. Thx for the R&D on this one.

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Very cool fix!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Hey thanks for the new weekend project you just handed me :biggrin:biggrin

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Hey thanks for the new weekend project you just handed me :biggrin:biggrin

this project was actully fun and when you see the results it makes you feel better you didnt spend 1500 on a new diffuser, now when I see inclines I just say "bring it on":biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Do you think this will this also work to fill in slight scratches under the front splitter?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
this project was actully fun and when you see the results it makes you feel better you didnt spend 1500 on a new diffuser, now when I see inclines I just say "bring it on":biggrin

Right on ! if you do ever need to replace it though I can do a lot better then that.

Again thanks for the tip.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Do you think this will this also work to fill in slight scratches under the front splitter?

no, the front splitter is plastic and flexible, this material is not as flexible as the front splitter, so if you put it on it will probobly break off, besides the front splitter is only 140 dollars so its relatively cheap to replace, compared to the 1500 dollar diffuser.:cheers

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
How 'bout you hit the NOS and spun into a 720, almost pulled it off but the driveway you were pulling into had to much of an incline. :thumbsup

:lol:lol:lol

Great writeup of the repair soroush. And you did a masterful job both with the photoessay and the repair itself.

There should be a Technical section full of these kinds of tips (I keed, I keed, I know it's here, and I LOVE IT, so much useful information). :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great work! :thumbsup

Much easier than the way I did it with liquid epoxy. You must have watched those epoxy putty commercials on TV :lol

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
you think I could replace a couple of fillings with that stuff? Be alot cheaper than going to the dentist. :biggrin

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
you think I could replace a couple of fillings with that stuff? Be alot cheaper than going to the dentist. :biggrin

Inside out joke hahaha

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

:lol are you scared of the dentist? :devil the dentist is your friend:biggrin