THE Tire Thread

What Combo Do You Use?

• Total voters

Vmax

Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
So given all the tires that are out in the marketplace right now (Nov. 2017), which would you put on your GT for street use? I’m about due and would definitely consider not purchasing another set of Goodyears.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So given all the tires that are out in the marketplace right now (Nov. 2017), which would you put on your GT for street use? I’m about due and would definitely consider not purchasing another set of Goodyears.

The answer is still the Bridgestones.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The answer is still the Bridgestones.

+100

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
+ 1,000

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Just put new rears on my car (Potenzas). I've always used tire rack, but this time I bought from Simpletire - $60 less per tire than the other guys, free delivery, and date coded 42-16. They arrived the day after I ordered, I'm sold on this outfit!

Just ordered a set of new Bridgestone rears from them. Mine are down to the wear bars after my 3600 mile walkabout to Wyoming and Utah. Thanks for the link!

Vmax

Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Thanks gents!

Vmax

Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
After researching the optimal sizes on the Bridgestone Potenzas (RE050A), it looks like I’ll be doing the following setup on the optional BBS factory wheels:

Fronts: 265/40/18 - N1 Porsche

Rears: 345/35/19 - Scuderia

From what I’ve read, there doesn’t seem to be any downsides to this setup.

Who else has this setup, and what are your thoughts compared to the stock tires?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I thought that was THE combination to have.

Vmax

Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
That’s music to my ears then!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They have been excellent tires. Quiet, handle well in all weather and dependable. I've got 20K on them total. I think running them at 28 psi will stop them from wearing out in the middle. Have your alignment checked beforehand.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'm on my second set of this pair. I used them for street, long distance highway (to the Left Coast and Rally 12, then back to the Right Coast this summer), and on the track at UMC at Rally 12. Great all-around tire for these cars. I've driven them back-to-back with the Goodyears. They aren't particularly noisy--about the same as or less than the Goodyears. I run 32 Psi and don't have any problem with them wearing out in the middle, however, the front and rear tires will wear out on the inner edges with the stock camber settings.

I moved the front and rear camber settings to almost zero camber to improve tire wear and life (actually about -1/4 degree), and on the street that works great. On the track, the tire will slide just a bit more easily, but it also slides more predictably, IMO. Unless you are actually RACING, you I doubt you'll notice the difference, and you'll get 5000 more miles out of your tires before they are down to the wear bars. Fair trade-off for me.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I moved the front and rear camber settings to almost zero camber to improve tire wear and life (actually about -1/4 degree), and on the street that works great. On the track, the tire will slide just a bit more easily, but it also slides more predictably, IMO. Unless you are actually RACING, you I doubt you'll notice the difference, and you'll get 5000 more miles out of your tires before they are down to the wear bars. Fair trade-off for me.

Better straight line traction also.

B Street

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 27, 2010
nebraska
Has anyone ran the Toyo Proxies R888R in size 265/35/18 front and 345/30/19 rear?
If so how do you have photos and how did it change ride height or look?
My car is pushing over 900hp so i need meat and traction.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A 345/30 size tire is going to be almost 1.5" smaller in diameter than the 345/35. On radius ~.75. So, car will sit about .75" lower and your wheel well gap will be about .75" larger.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
A 345/30 size tire is going to be almost 1.5" smaller in diameter than the 345/35. On radius ~.75. So, car will sit about .75" lower and your wheel well gap will be about .75" larger.
A different circumference will alter the handling characteristics & speedo/odo reading.

Ed

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
A different circumference will alter the handling characteristics & speedo/odo reading.

Ed

Yes, and the ABS module may be very unhappy as well.

Reactions: Ed Sims