What Combo Do You Use?

• Total voters

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Syco GT, HHGT and I all have the same size brand tires and I think all three of us are very happy.
I just ran an autox two weekends ago and the setup was quite neutral, the tires got a little greasy after 7 non-stop laps though but not bad for a street tire. I have a video clip posted somewhere else on this forum of one of the runs where the tires got a greasy and I spun out but it was partly my fault as I was pushing too hard into a off chamber turn.

Have you guys lowered your GT (if so how much)?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Also, what the difference betweent hese two tires?

265/40ZR18
Blackwall N1 (Porsche) Serv. Desc: (101Y)
Load Rating XL
Price: $294.00 (each)

Estimated Availability:
In Stock
Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $35.28 per tire

Qty: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

265/40ZR18
Blackwall N0 (Porsche) Serv. Desc: (101Y)
Load Rating XL
Price: $281.00 (each)

Estimated Availability:
Back Order
Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $33.72 per tire

Last edited:

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
The Pole Position and Scuderia's tread/sidewall sure look the same.

Agreed. I was wondering if anyone had talked to Bridgestone about this (Compound, construction). Some of the RE050 users complain of significant understeer and some claim neutral handling.

I have just over 4000miles on my car. The rears are about gone and the fronts are about half gone so I bought another pair of Goodyear rears. When these are worn out I will be tire shopping. The cars with the 345s at the ralley sure looked a lot "badder" than the ones with 315s!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Agreed. I was wondering if anyone had talked to Bridgestone about this (Compound, construction). Some of the RE050 users complain of significant understeer and some claim neutral handling.

I have just over 4000miles on my car. The rears are about gone and the fronts are about half gone so I bought another pair of Goodyear rears. When these are worn out I will be tire shopping. The cars with the 345s at the ralley sure looked a lot "badder" than the ones with 315s!

Interesting... I've driven the RE050 on the Enzo on track, and they were not amazing. And understeer.... But the Enzo isn't the best anyhow for the track, unless it is large, wide and fast curved.....

Still, not sure what is the best on the stock rims.... The PS's ?

Help...:ack

H

HHGT

As Bruce said, on the road and once they warm up, they are amazing. I have not lowered mine, but Bruce has. Do not know if Randy has but I do not think so.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
on stock wheels, id definitely go with the scuderias

or if you dont drive a lot of miles but do drive like a maniac when u take the car out, id do the R6s

im going with the 19/20 PS2s

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime

im going with the 19/20 PS2s

.... because you drive like,.... hmm... how !???:eek
For what you would say these are best? Or just beacuse of size and the scudis are not available..??

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
.... because you drive like,.... hmm... how !???:eek
For what you would say these are best? Or just beacuse of size and the scudis are not available..??

PS2s are probably up there with the Scuderias in terms of handling and traction. Heck, a Heffner TT GT went 9.9 at 152 on PS2s a couple months ago. However, the PS2s are only available with a shorter sidewall than stock. This should help improve gearing a little bit and also lower the car some but will throw the speedo off and change the look.

Im going with them because Im going with aftermarket wheels and tires and the Scuderia is not available in a 20.

I had the Hoosiers for 2 months and didnt have a lot of good luck as far as flat tires and randomly loosing air pressure.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Syco GT, HHGT and I all have the same size brand tires and I think all three of us are very happy.

Here they are on the rack, before they went on...

It was important for me personally to attempt to maintain a similar overall diameter front and rear to the stock tire diameter.

Photo_05.jpg

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
As Bruce said, on the road and once they warm up, they are amazing. I have not lowered mine, but Bruce has. Do not know if Randy has but I do not think so.

I noticed a good amount of slippage exiting THEhotel in the rally mornings.

Could be a result of the apparent poor ventilation in the downstairs area, looked like the heart of Los Angeles, with all that smog and pollution in that area, likely accumulating on the ground floor, making for a slick surface, that got tracked out by all the vehicles onto the street. Or could be cold tires. Or a combination.

Noise and ride comfort are both noticeably improved over the Goodyears, IMHO.

My GT is factory ride height (without taking into account the slight height adjustment for different overall tire diameter)

IMG_2291a.jpg

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I just changed from stock to these tires:

265/40ZR18 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A N1 (Porsche) IN STOCK 2 $294.00 $588.00
345/35ZR19 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Scuderia IN STOCK 2 $335.00 $670.00

I do like the Bridgestones better. The cars feels heavier, more planted on the road. I will admit that it feels a bit strange... one of the more notable characteristics of the GT (to me) was it's nimble presence beneath your fingertips. I will no longer feel comfortable driving with two fingers on the steering wheel. So there are some sacrifices in diving with these tires but the gains with regard to traction are undeniable. I can tell the fronts have a much firmer grip on the road.

Last edited:

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I just ran an autox two weekends ago and the setup was quite neutral, the tires got a little greasy after 7 non-stop laps though but not bad for a street tire. I have a video clip posted somewhere else on this forum of one of the runs where the tires got a greasy and I spun out but it was partly my fault as I was pushing too hard into a off chamber turn.

Kendall & Ryan put on this same combo for me along with the Whipple and other goodies. To be frank, I wasn't expecting much of a change but was very pleasantly surprised. These shoes are a significant improvement, IMO.

All told, I believe we put on well over 1k miles during our week on the mainland including track time at LVMS. The fact that my Missus spun out on the first turn I attributed to her getting use to the new Whipple. :biggrin

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

Yes, I think around .75.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
II will no longer feel comfortable driving with two fingers on the steering wheel. So there are some sacrifices in diving with these tires but the gains with regard to traction are undeniable. I can tell the fronts have a much firmer grip on the road.

I love the Bridgestones for the street (as I have had no track experience with them) and agree with HHGT, Heritage Bruce and Fubar in their reports of better traction and being alot quieter than the Goodyears. I do want to add though that the car also now feels alot "softer" - that is I didn't realize how much the Goodyears vibrated and or felt harsh through the steering wheel, seat of the pants and through the floor boards. For the record I am running 30 Canadian lbs. up front and 28 American lbs.:wink out back as per Alex of T&A's suggestion.

I however did also experience what Fubar is saying regarding no longer feeling as comfortable driving with two fingers as the vehicle, for me, no longer feels as planted or wanting to stay dead centre especially in the ruts. That being said I had a discussion at the rally with Alex of T&A who didn't seem surprised and felt it was just a matter of adjusting the car's toe in about 1/16 of an inch since the Bridgestones are alot softer than the Goodyears.

I have yet to have this done but will report after I do so.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I love the Bridgestones for the street (as I have had no track experience with them) and agree with HHGT, Heritage Bruce and Fubar in their reports of better traction and being alot quieter than the Goodyears. I do want to add though that the car also now feels alot "softer" - that is I didn't realize how much the Goodyears vibrated and or felt harsh through the steering wheel, seat of the pants and through the floor boards. For the record I am running 30 Canadian lbs. up front and 28 American lbs.:wink out back as per Alex of T&A's suggestion.

I however did also experience what Fubar is saying regarding no longer feeling as comfortable driving with two fingers as the vehicle, for me, no longer feels as planted or wanting to stay dead centre especially in the ruts. That being said I had a discussion at the rally with Alex of T&A who didn't seem surprised and felt it was just a matter of adjusting the car's toe in about 1/16 of an inch since the Bridgestones are alot softer than the Goodyears.

I have yet to have this done but will report after I do so.

I agree with everything you've said.

I ran 30 front & rear at the Rally. What did Alex recommend?

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
30 front and 28 rear.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I noticed a good amount of slippage exiting THEhotel in the rally mornings.

I believe that the roads were just plain greasy. Alot of guys seemed to mention it.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I believe that the roads were just plain greasy. Alot of guys seemed to mention it.

100% agreed !

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks Torrie and shesgotlegs for the info. I kept thinking, WTH is going on...

I do recall the Goodyears feeling really hard in comparison.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thanks Torrie and shesgotlegs for the info. I kept thinking, WTH is going on...

I do recall the Goodyears feeling really hard in comparison.

NP, Randy !!