Saleen Gurney Bubble Install:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I also just completed a Gurney Bubble installation from Saleen in Michigan. Thought folks would like to know how it went. Removed the door, made a special crate, and shipped the door to the Saleen Plant in Troy, Michigan. It takes about two months including shipping time. Cost was $5900. They did a very nice job. They do not paint the entire door, they mask off just the top section and a little down the pillars. That’s nice so I didn’t have to reinstall my door stickers and meatball. Contact was Todd Helms, but he is very busy, so Christina can better be reached at (248) 743-4876, she can coordinate everything and she is very friendly.

The Gurney Bubble turned out to have the effect I thought it would in person. I don’t think photos do it justice, and those of you that either have them or have seen them might agree. It’s subtle, but it just gives the lines of the FGT that little extra umph… An historic feel, I think adding to the cars beautiful “heritage” look.

Attachments

• IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,244
  • IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 6,044
  • IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 6,464

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
You're right a very nostalgic look. How tall might you be? The Gurney Bubble was my only other choice except for the topless version. From the photo's I've posted you can see why I chose topless.

Your car looks fantastic, maybe an outdoor picture would do it more justice.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What did they do to the headliner on the inside? Did it gain you much headroom?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Looks very nice and more headroom to boot. Only downside is it probably add some wind resistance, lowering your top end, but not that anyone will ever know, or feel the difference. These cars are so frigging fast!

:thumbsup

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Didn't Gurney win in a non-gulf sponsored car? That's beside the point, it looks great on your car, and it really does finish off the 'heritage' look!! :thumbsup

Just curious, the bubble seems to be in the middle of the door. When I sit in my car, it seems that my head is a bit further back than that. Is the bubble position fixed or can you choose where it will be? I'm only 6'1" and all legs, so I don't really the extra headroom, and I appreciate that this is more for the nostalgia than the extra clearance it might buy you, but just wondering how much extra headroom you gain.

Great looking car by the way!! :wink :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
looks great, you have done some amazing things to your gal.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Didn't Gurney win in a non-gulf sponsored car? That's beside the point, it looks great on your car, and it really does finish off the 'heritage' look!! :thumbsup

Most of the '65 and older Ford entered "race" cars were fitted with the bubble due to the fact it wasn't known which drivers would be teamed together and which car they would drive from race to race. I believe this practice was was stopped after Ford's full factory support ended at the close '67. How many Gulf cars were fitted if any, I have no idea. I'll ask Gurney if there was any talk at the time of him driving any of the John Wire cars and report back.
The bubble does IMO look very cool and I wish my car had one.:thumbsup

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Ultra Cool and soooo fitting. I want one:thumbsup

Last edited:

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
" They do not paint the entire door, they mask off just the top section and a little down the pillars " Did they remove the side window frame from the door or mask around it ? I would quess they did a blend on the pillars.

AJK

86blackwidow

Mar 10, 2008
Ventura,ca
Looks good.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
What did they do to the headliner on the inside? Did it gain you much headroom?

Good question, and one I had before I did it. They put back in a headliner that is so close to the original that you can only feel the difference by hand. The material is almost identical and the way it follows the contour of the roof is perfect. In fact, I think they did a better job with it than the factory version when I look carefully.

I tried to measure it tonight as best I can, I think it is 1.5 inches.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
" They do not paint the entire door, they mask off just the top section and a little down the pillars " Did they remove the side window frame from the door or mask around it ? I would quess they did a blend on the pillars.

AJK

Yes, I cannot see where they did it with my 10x paint magnifier.

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL

Just curious, the bubble seems to be in the middle of the door. When I sit in my car, it seems that my head is a bit further back than that. Is the bubble position fixed or can you choose where it will be? I'm only 6'1" and all legs, so I don't really the extra headroom, and I appreciate that this is more for the nostalgia than the extra clearance it might buy you, but just wondering how much extra headroom you gain.

My Heritage has it since new. It is nicely positioned for headroom in a driving position - perfect for me. I'm 6'2" and I appreciate it but YMMV. If you are tracking the car, I could imagine it being just perfect for helmet room for anyone 6'0" - 6'5" ish.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Most of the '65 and older Ford entered "race" cars were fitted with the bubble due to the fact it wasn't known which drivers would be teamed together and which car they would drive from race to race. I believe this practice was was stopped after Ford's full factory support ended at the close '67. How many Gulf cars were fitted if any, I have no idea. I'll ask Gurney if there was any talk at the time of him driving any of the John Wire cars and report back.
The bubble does IMO look very cool and I wish my car had one.:thumbsup

By my count, 12 cars were fitted with the "Gurney Bubble", but there may be more.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California

OK, when I'm in the corral at Concours 30 years from now I am going to smack you with my cane should you mention it...

I sit with my seat just slightly moved forward, and with my helmet on it fits just right, however I am only 5'10''. I don't really notice the headroom until I have a helmet on, now my head isn't locked into position against the roof anymore.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
looks great, you have done some amazing things to your gal.

Thank you to everyone.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
When they did my door last fall, they removed the door from the car, disassembled everything from it, installed the bubble, painted, then reassembled it with new parts (weatherstrip, etc. and anything that had a new upgrade - such as the door opening mechanism), and remounted it to the car. I was very impressed with Todd Helms, Ron Rogers, and of course, Bryan Chambers.

:thumbsup:cheers:thumbsup

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
OK, when I'm in the corral at Concours 30 years from now I am going to smack you with my cane should you mention it...

I sit with my seat just slightly moved forward, and with my helmet on it fits just right, however I am only 5'10''. I don't really notice the headroom until I have a helmet on, now my head isn't locked into position against the roof anymore.

:lol But you won't need to smack me with your cane since when I'm in the corrall at Concours 30 years from now, my car will probably have it too. :cheers

I'll be with you convincing everyone that it's completely original, more original than all the 'flat' roofs and asking the judges to deduct points from those cars!! :rofl

I sit further forward in my 911 when I'm tracking, but haven't tracked the GT yet. I'll probably pull the seat up when I do, so the position is probably perfect. I'm sure that there was some foresight before the placement was decided. :thumbsup

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
:lol But you won't need to smack me with your cane since when I'm in the corrall at Concours 30 years from now, my car will probably have it too. :cheers

I'll be with you convincing everyone that it's completely original, more original than all the 'flat' roofs and asking the judges to deduct points from those cars!! :rofl

I sit further forward in my 911 when I'm tracking, but haven't tracked the GT yet. I'll probably pull the seat up when I do, so the position is probably perfect. I'm sure that there was some foresight before the placement was decided. :thumbsup

In 30 years you both will have forgotten where you last parked your GTs' and probably not notice you wet your pants.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
In 30 years you both will have forgotten where you last parked your GTs' and probably not notice you wet your pants.

Maybe, but at least we'll still be driving our GT's to the Concours! And when I rev my (which will be straight piped at that time) engine as I pass you, YOUR pants will be a little more than just wet!!! :thumbsup :lol :rofl :thumbsup