harness installation

heiserford

Mar 21, 2007
any tips on 4 or 5 point harness installation? I have been told that the two extra bolts behind each seat can be used for shoulder harness but that lap belts should go to frame not just seat bracket like the oem belts. No info from SVT and only universal info from Simpson! We are a Ford Dealer and cannot fabricate brackets ourselves.

Jim

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I said it here before, and I'll say it again. 4 & 5 point harnesses in a car without a roll cage is a death sentence. In a roll-over accident with a collapsing roof, the driver has no where to go and the spine is crushed. This is why production cars only have belts over one shoulder.

This said, the GT likely has a much-stronger-than-normal cabin..... but I wouldn't want to take the chance. Others here have done the harness and I respect their decision and opinions. I wouldn't put one in for a friend without first install a roll cage. Stepping down from my soap box...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I said it here before, and I'll say it again. 4 & 5 point harnesses in a car without a roll cage is a death sentence. In a roll-over accident with a collapsing roof, the driver has no where to go and the spine is crushed. This is why production cars only have belts over one shoulder.

This said, the GT likely has a much-stronger-than-normal cabin..... but I wouldn't want to take the chance. Others here have done the harness and I respect their decision and opinions. I wouldn't put one in for a friend without first install a roll cage. Stepping down from my soap box...
While this is true for me, since my head with a helmet would be smashed against the headliner. I just don't know for sure, but shorter drivers, or passengers that have 3 or more inches of head clearance, may be safer with the harness.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
any tips on 4 or 5 point harness installation? I have been told that the two extra bolts behind each seat can be used for shoulder harness but that lap belts should go to frame not just seat bracket like the oem belts. No info from SVT and only universal info from Simpson! We are a Ford Dealer and cannot fabricate brackets ourselves.

Jim

Do a search. There are at least 3/4 threads on this subject. Everything is covered.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A link to safety equipment for your car. It discusses the pro and cons of a harness with and without a rollbar.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Safety_at_the_track

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
A link to safety equipment for your car. It discusses the pro and cons of a harness with and without a rollbar.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Safety_at_the_track

Good link. Keep in mind that many of the comments are opinions and just that. Obviously the more correct safety equipment the better but there is a point of no return.

Dave

heiserford

Mar 21, 2007
Thanks For The Help. I Mounted The Lap Belts To The Original Seat Belt Mounts On The Seat And The Shoulder Harnesses To Eye Bolts In The Holes Provided Behind The Seat. No Sub Belt.

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego

Jim

Here are some pics of the installation in my car. I use the bar to eliminate the eye bolts which prevent the seat from going back all the way. If a 6 point system is used then bring the crotch harness back to the clips used for the lap belt.

Craig

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4176&highlight=fire+extinguisher

Last edited:

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Does anyone know of a Company that makes Harnesses is yellow? Looking for something that would go with the yellow/black car!

Thanks in advance.......Mike

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks for posting the article BlackIce. Gave me a lot of points to think about.

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Does anyone know of a Company that makes Harnesses is yellow? Looking for something that would go with the yellow/black car!

Thanks in advance.......Mike

Try Safecraft in Concord, Ca 1800 400-2259
They make harnesses in their shop and could
probably make any color. Their harnesses are the
best I've seen. The fittings they use are trick, not just plated.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
various colors for harnesses

Dear 05 Ford GT - http://www.livermoreperformance.com has numerous harnesses in various colors. They also have brackets to mount a Safecraft fire extinguisher to the passenger seat.

Ed

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Thank you for your help. I'm on it!

Mike