IMAGES of new engine cover, weight of subwoofer/amp

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Hello Everyone,

I just installed my new clear engine access cover. Right now it is only a prototype and still lacks a sealing gasket and the metal bezel frame to cover up the unsightly items. The noise level increase within the car is not too bad maybe a dB or two. It's neat to see the front of the engine when inside the car! Removing that awful gooey black sealant took almost an hour.

Now, I need some help from you guys since I would like to sell a few of these (don't worry they will be top quality). Since I am badly color-blind, I need assistance in the selection of colors. If I made a metal bezel frame that surrounds the edges of the clear cover plate and the unsightly things just below it, what color and finish should the metal be? I can paint it silver to match the center housing, or it could be black to provide some contrast.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have also attached an image of the McIntosh subwoofer/amplifier module. It weighs in at 12.3 pounds.

Thanks,

Jay

Clear%20engine%20cover%20prototype.jpg

Subwoofer%20with%20amp.jpg

FEGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Lake Havasu City ,AZ
Jay, That cover is trick! How thick is the plastic? Are there any heat transfer issues with it? We think the bezel should be matte silver to match the firewall. The amp is 3 channel - maybe extend the stereo wiring loom so the amp can fit under one seat and a smaller sub-woofer under the other seat??
Lee & Janet

c_steve

Jan 21, 2006
Analogdesigner.....have you thought to use a 2 piece plexi sandwich approach ( like insulated glass)...would really help w/ transmitted noise and heat....will an air spaced plexi sandwich be too thick??you could have piece that attaches to the bezel be larger than the piece twoards the engine?? Steve

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I would go with Black. Very nice

Shoman594

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
Jay, that looks great! Cant wait to see the finished product.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
looks great! but now you have to dress-up the engine front.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Update, clear engine access panel

Hello everyone,

Sorry about the long delay. The clear panel is 1/4" thick scratch resistant (and bullet-proof) Lexan. This means that it's triple laminated, acylic/Lexan/acrylic. I should have a complementary bezel completed within a week of this posting, so I'll keep you updated.

Thanks, Jay