Transaxle Bolt Blowout

Mamzer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2006
South Florida
Just something to keep this issue alive. I ran my car up to Vero Beach this past weekend cruising at times up to 145mph. Once there stomped on it and ran it to 180mph on A1A. Returned home with no problems. Monday no problems, it's my daily driver. Today I dropped my son off at school and then went on my way to work. I got to a stop sign and when I tried to put it into gear nothing. I had it towed to Maroone Ft. Laud. where Brian hooked me up with a rental. He says its the nefarious transaxle Bolt. Will keep you posted.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Just something to keep this issue alive. I ran my car up to Vero Beach this past weekend cruising at times up to 145mph. Once there stomped on it and ran it to 180mph on A1A. Returned home with no problems. Monday no problems, it's my daily driver. Today I dropped my son off at school and then went on my way to work. I got to a stop sign and when I tried to put it into gear nothing. I had it towed to Maroone Ft. Laud. where Brian hooked me up with a rental. He says its the nefarious transaxle Bolt. Will keep you posted.

Not that it matters probably, but what year and vin?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

180 on A1A?! Holy Sh*t. :eek I can't do more than 30 on A1A with all the snow birds in town.

What year and VIN is your GT?

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I've heard something about that problem before... Make sure Brian has both sides changed while the cars there!

I had it towed to Maroone Ft. Laud. where Brian hooked me up with a rental.

Did you get a bad ass Hyundai like I did? All joking aside, I can't believe what a car you get for so little money!

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Since Ford is not "acknowledging" the problem as a real issue, I hope you get your parts in a reasonable time. I have already heard of some people's car sitting in the service area of a dealership for a month+ waiting for bolts and washers.

Mamzer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2006
South Florida
Transaxle bolt redux

2006 #1861...I think...Tried to give me a neon but I could only get one leg in so I "upgraded" to a grand prick....I mean prix.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
2006 #1861...I think...Tried to give me a neon but I could only get one leg in so I "upgraded" to a grand prick....I mean prix.

With that late '06 VIN you would think you had the new hardened washers. Bummer to hear even the newest cars still have this problem.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I have already heard of some people's car sitting in the service area of a dealership for a month+ waiting for bolts and washers.

I forget now, I think my car was in for close to two months?

Aug 25, 2006

C**P....... this is not a good number; I was behind you so what once was a casual concern now has become a "must do" before we go play again.

Disappointing and yet not surprising so I will take it in stride and offer Ford a few hours of my handly work and take care of her.

Thank you for the heads up

Shadowman

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
There hasn't been a recall from ford yet?

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.

Not a number I wanted to here. I have 2006 Vin# 1860.:frown Guess I better order the replacement bolts and washers and the other torq once bolts. Thanks for your posts keep us updated.:ack :thumbsdow

FLY GT40

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I honestly believe Ford doesn't have a clue which transaxles are effected.
They did not do the assembly, Ricardo did.

Make sure if you used Ford's repair bolts and washers that the bolt heads are drilled and safety wired.

You honestly can't afford to ignore the preventative fix...

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That's not good news!! I though my 2006 #1749 would be safe , I guess I better find that photo on what to look for ???

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Another one!! I am told Ford monitors this forum. Hello!!! HELLO!!! Isn't it enough already!!

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
These cars are meant to go fast and a lot of us drive them that way! Thank God no one (to my knowledge) has lost an axle at high speed. Ford really needs to step up here and eat a little crow. It might be a good education for the "certified techs" to really get familiar with the GT too!!! :frown

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
My axle fell out as well have a 05. It is fixed now but it did suck. Oil went everywhere had to have my wife tow me home lots if fun. If you have'nt taken your car in do it now.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I (1153) did not have a failure, I caught it, had concaved washers and loose bolts. Same story as BlackSilver. Add us to your list.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
What does #1861; how does one find out there #.

Mamzer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2006
South Florida
Adding Fuel to the Fire

I called the Ford BatLine to alert them about the obvious defect in the car, to see if they would reimburse me for the extra tow charges I incurred because I wanted to send my GT to a Tech I trusted, and to inquire about the rationale behind providing the smallest, cheapest, and cr*piest car as a service loaner to their high end customers. I found out several things.

1. Fords Hot Line is a joke. The person on the other end of the phone is a complaint taker. That is all. They are not there to resolve issues but merely to try to placate the complainer. What a waste.

2.They refuse to acknowledge there is an issue concerning the transaxle bolt despite the mounting evidence of its defect.

3.They really don't care about the GT customer. We are treated the same as a focus purchaser. It may explain Ford's current financial woes.

Despite this obvious rant I still love the car. That is my dilemma and Ford knows it. Thanks for letting me vent...I feel better now.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
My Vin is 1172 05.