Whats your favorite Ford engine?

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
427sohc-01.jpg

Used in the GT-40s, starting in the MKIIs, the engine destroyed its competition in LeMans being the first engine to break 200 mph at LeMans. :usa

mine would be the Ford SOHC(single over head cam) 427 Cammer, and if you want to be technical its also a hemi.

HP: 616
TQ: 515
Wieght: 765lb(1683kg)

Ford accomplished everything it set out to do with the 427 "SOHC" engine and did it in an amazing ninety days. It was years ahead of its time. In Ford dyno testing, the "Cammer" made 616 hp at 7000 rpm and 515 lbs/ft of torque at 3800 rpm, the most power any production/race engine had ever made, then or now. This 765-pound engine was then slapped in a '64 Galaxie NASCAR stocker and ran the fastest laps any stock car had run at Daytona to date. It easily equaled what the vaunted "Hemi" had run and still had more power to unleash. And this really tweaked (read that pissed off), the Highland Park contingent because they couldn't be competitive (read dominate), on the stock car tracks, or drag strips any more. Through temper tantrums and threats of a complete pull out of competition by the Chrysler boys to NASCAR, the 427 "Cammer" was good ol' boy politicked out of the running, never to turn a revolution in competition. But not so with the guys at AHRA and NHRA. They allowed the baddest of the bad to run, and run it did. After some teething problems and some racer development time, the "SOHC motor" was extremely competitive in the A/FX through Pro Stock, even Top Fuel, up through the early '70's. And back in 1965 the Ford Single OverHead Cam 427 is what King Kong brought to the party.
- supermotors.com

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I know there are more historic motors, but the current GT motor is hard to top, and in many ways...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
agree about the current engine being the cat's meow :biggrin But have a soft spot for the cammer and FE-so 427.

Svt03Cobra

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2005
? TN
351 or 392

I love them all but I think I personally love the 5.8L 351 Windsor engine......
M6007A351R_D351R.jpg

OR

The 2000 5.4L Cobra R engine......
cobramw2.JPG

Last edited:

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Cammers didn't fit/wern't used in the original GT40's. I've read through the history of every single serial # GT40 in the 1997 registry and it was never used. Ford used medium and high riser 427's and at least 3 different small blocks.

Favorite engines:

#1)...You can stick a tennis ball all the way into the stock head ports on these:
Boss429_engine.jpg

#2)...No explination needed: Dual quads on the one in this picture is probably making 800 or more @ the crank.
uf427soh.jpg

#3)...Most dominant engine in racing history:
ford_dfv.jpg

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
yep, toss up for me between the 427sohc, side-oiler, and Boss 429.

the side-oiler has so much racing history, and it was so reliable in it's day. I own a 390 and I'm still puzzled as to why they designed the heads/intake as they did.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Ya, I Know This Is An Old Thread - BUT -

Over the past 45 years I have had a lot of different Ford engines, including the old 289 "Hi-Po" Cobra engine up to the new 5.4L GT engine.
After "LIVING" with STV Engines for a number of years, I must say that ALL of them are absolutely GREAT!!
I do have to admit that the 5.4 GT engine is my preference.
The power band is absolutely amazing, as is the modification capabilities this thing can accommodate.
Well Done Ford.
Thanks.
Fred

Last edited:

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Motor

Nothing looks as nice or sounds as good as a 59A or earlier flathead with aluminum heads and 2 97's

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Earlier Flathead

Dr Robert Harms said:
Nothing looks as nice or sounds as good as a 59A or earlier flathead with aluminum heads and 2 97's
Doc,
I never had one, but they do look cool.:biggrin
Fred

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Well I'll age myself but there was no better sound than a 289 Hi-Po in the original 289 Cobra with webbers and the 1965 GT-350R mustang eating up the track and running with C-modifieds at SCCA racing eventsduring the 60's. I can hear that sound now! I think the present 5.4 Aluminum GT engine is a piece of art and history as to its (tuneing ability) as we see on this Forum with its modifications being done. God Bless Ford.Tomy Hamon

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Being from the pushrod generation I identify with the FE series 427 &428 blocks