GT Assembly Overview

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Check out this cool link to an Edmonds site which gives a ten minute overview of the assembly process. I found this link over at Blue Oval News this afternoon.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=107085#

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Immediately this is now the best post in forum history :banana

That was seriously a great audio tour. I've been lucky enough to be taken on a guided tour of the entire process at SSV, and even that phenomenal walk-through doesn't do it justice. The baking ovens are huge, the bays are spaced very close together, and those ultra-bright lamp corridors are like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey. :lol You really get a sense of just how good the paint is when you see all the naked panels in that room waiting to go through the rubbing process. It's also strange to see racks and racks worth of wheels and instrument clusters waiting to get stuck in those really cool "body-in-whites". Who knows, maybe I saw some of your GT's sitting in pieces, waiting for final assembly :biggrin

Great find. Kudos to edmunds for bringing the process to life :cheers

Svt03Cobra

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2005
? TN
That was so awesome, I just had to save it on my hard drive lol..... :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
:cheers wow!

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
nice find!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
GT Assembly Story

Hey Guys,

I'm the one who wrote/photographed/narrated the Ford GT Assembly story. I was lucky enough to visit the plant while my Ford GT was being built. If you view the slideshow and see the photo with the blue GT with the rear hatch/engine cover up, that's my car! (yes, it was very cool to see it at that stage) The tour I took was on June 29, and I picked up my car on August 23rd from Santa Monica Ford (yes, those were the toughest seven weeks of my life!!!).

I also wrote an editorial column on exactly why I bought a Ford GT. If you want to read it, here's a link. I think you might be surprised. :eek
http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/carmudgeon/107084/article.html

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
ENZO BTR said:
I also wrote an editorial column on exactly why I bought a Ford GT. If you want to read it, here's a link. I think you might be surprised. :eek
http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/carmudgeon/107084/article.html

Wow. Great/sad story.

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Great story, poignant and inspiring.

Enjoy your ride!

SMLDONZI

Sep 27, 2005
NE OH/SW VA
Enzo Btr,

How awesome it must have been to see your GT as it was being built! Nice job on the tour--very informative. Your article is really a great story.

Will

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great story, enjoy your ride!

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
Best pictures of factory I have seen yet

A new magazine called Auto Aficienado had a three page story with pictures as well but they weren't lit as well as these. Were these shot by Ford PR?

Also are Frod GTs test driven outside the factory? I can't believe driving them a few feet is a road test? But I haven't seen pictures of them being driven outside the plant like I have seen various Fords driven (something they made for the Army,that kept turning over if you tried to drift it).

Does anyone know if the Tungsten Silver paint job comes with any other id. to show it's a 40th Anniversary of LeMans win car?

Also never seen a picture of mechanics signing engine plate to show they built engine a la Aston Martin. Are they still doing that?

Saleen doesn't have a special model of the Ford GT, do you think Ford will allow that? Of course that could take attention away from his S7....

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
thanks for providing the link to this informative video

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
plant video

JUST GREAT, YOU GET GOOSE BUMPS , WAS THAT MY RED CAR THERE BUILDING . JUST GREAT :thumbsup