Cracked windscreen.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Got up this morning to a cracked windscreen. Eek! I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I put it away last night. The Ford guys reckon it's due to a stone chip which then cracked the windscreen due to it heating up and cooling down in the sun. It was parked on the street yesterday...

Close inspection of the windshield reveals 10+ stone chips. They were all so small I'd never noticed them before.

Oh well it'll be here in two weeks at a cost of $695.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
bummer..you parked it on the street?

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
LEMANSZ said:
bummer..you parked it on the street?

Sure - On a meter. I've been using it as the daily driver. Anyone else using theirs as a daily driver?

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
A daily driver... you're awesome. How many miles you got on it?

Rob

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Thats not as bad of price as I would of guessed. I paid $1200 for a Accura a while back. Hope what ever got the glass didn't get the paint. :frown

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
You have sun? I vaguely remember that thing in the sky....

Bad news on the windscreen - who are you going to use to fix it? Will they have to test drive it afterwards?!

I wouldn't use mine as a daily driver - the centre of London is not the ideal environment for a left hand drive precious object! + I don't have the balls!!

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I had this same problem on my murcielago, I took the car to get washed and right in front of me "CRACK". No impact, no stones, nothing but "CRACK". In florida your insurance covers the windsheilds with no deductable, the total was just over $7k!

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Gierkink said:

Rob
HellYa!!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Coating for windshields

Carl,

Call my friends at Racing Optics in San Clemente and get a price on their clear protective film that's made to go on windshields (without the 4% coupling loss).

http://www.racingoptics.com

I need to get ALL of my cars done with this soon.

Jay

biffom said:
Got up this morning to a cracked windscreen. Eek! I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I put it away last night. The Ford guys reckon it's due to a stone chip which then cracked the windscreen due to it heating up and cooling down in the sun. It was parked on the street yesterday...

Close inspection of the windshield reveals 10+ stone chips. They were all so small I'd never noticed them before.

Oh well it'll be here in two weeks at a cost of $695.

ReiKo

Mar 8, 2006
Grosse Pointe, MI
And the sad thing is... IIRC the windshield costs $250-$300ish...

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA

~ 3,500 miles in 6 weeks (ish). However, over 2,000 miles were delivery miles so it's not as bad as it looks.

It is a car that just begs to be driven and never fails to put a smile on the face. It does wonders for the state of mind! Should be a prescription item!

Neil, I used to live and work in Central London, really enjoyed driving to the orifice (parking was a serious perk to be exploited to the max), loathed driving in and out of the city though - especially on a Friday evening or a Monday morning. I drove there recently and to my surprise some of the hard earned short cuts (picked up from a bazillion taxi rides) still worked. Must be somewhat akin to learning to ride a bicycle. Now, riding a bicycle in London - that's just plain crazy - I nearly got in killed in Piccadilly doing that!

Jay, Thanks for the tip - I'll check that out.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
analogdesigner said:
Carl,

Call my friends at Racing Optics in San Clemente and get a price on their clear protective film that's made to go on windshields (without the 4% coupling loss).

Jay

PLS keep us posted on this... I am most interested. thanks Jay

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
I'm ditching my daily driver in L.A. so the GT is all I'll have, and I'm damn happy about it! :biggrin

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
analogdesigner said:
Carl,

Jay

Hey Jay, have you had this put on your car yet? I don't have a dealer anywhere near me in NY. Do they make a kit for the GT?
Allan