Safecraft Halon Extinguisher

hemidoc

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I recently purchased a hand-held extinguisher and bracket from Livermore Perf. I was told it could not be shipped to Canada with Halon, but that it could be shipped empty and filled here with the Can. equivalent. The local fire guys refused to fill it as they have no specifications on the bottle which also has no label. The people at Livermore were not able to get the info and offered to take it back (since I had paid duty and shipping to half the cost of the product, this wasn't a great idea). I then made the mistake of calling Safecraft where "Rocky" asked "What do you want me to do about it?" I wondered (very politely - I'm Canadian) about the specs and he told me there are none and the bottles are always shipped without documentation or labels. He then suggested I might "use it for a paperweight on your desk". This was a dramatic contrast to my experience when I bought the fire suppression system from Safecraft (it came charged).

If you live in Canada I would suggest a Canadian supplier. Rocky would probably do better in a different line of work, too.

Allan

Aug 25, 2006
I recently purchased a hand-held extinguisher and bracket from Livermore Perf. I was told it could not be shipped to Canada with Halon, but that it could be shipped empty and filled here with the Can. equivalent. The local fire guys refused to fill it as they have no specifications on the bottle which also has no label. The people at Livermore were not able to get the info and offered to take it back (since I had paid duty and shipping to half the cost of the product, this wasn't a great idea). I then made the mistake of calling Safecraft where "Rocky" asked "What do you want me to do about it?" I wondered (very politely - I'm Canadian) about the specs and he told me there are none and the bottles are always shipped without documentation or labels. He then suggested I might "use it for a paperweight on your desk". This was a dramatic contrast to my experience when I bought the fire suppression system from Safecraft (it came charged).

If you live in Canada I would suggest a Canadian supplier. Rocky would probably do better in a different line of work, too.

Allan
UUUGH I am truly sorry that your experience was less than stellar with SafeCraft.

I work with them all the time and FE-36 is the product approved for Canada and can be shipped however the problem is that FE-36 has an effective value of approximatley 1/2 of Halon.

FYI; I am chatting with Don aka SafeCraft on your behalf at this time to create a resolve

They are a great company that truly care and yet as with all fall prey to a bad day once in awhile.

I will have an update soon

All the best

Shadowman

Last edited:

hemidoc

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Thank you Shadowman. I dealt with Don when I bought the suppression system and he was very helpful. Allan

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you Shadowman. I dealt with Don when I bought the suppression system and he was very helpful. Allan

You are welcome Allan

The team at SafeCraft aka Don, Steve, and even Rocky are all good people and mean well. I truly suspect that you simply were dealt with on an off day; no excuse mind you just simply a part of typicasl life experiences.

I am awaitng a call back from Don aka SafeCraft at this time

Regards

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006

Alan

I just chatted with Don aka SafeCraft again and needless to say he feels very bad for the manner in which you were treated on the phone; he offered no excuse but rather said that it was unacceptable which IMO was the proper comment.

Having shared this he is going to send you a personal email in which he wants you to ship the empty bottle directly to SafeCraft and it will promptly be properly charged with FE-36 and then returned to you in Canada with no issues.

From a personal standpoint I appreciate you bringing this matter to the attention of all because sadly far too many folks would have simply walked away in frustration without a resolve being able to be created.

Thank you

Takes care

Shadowman

hemidoc

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for your help Shadowman. I see where you get your stellar reputation! Allan

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Shadowman's name should be changed to hedaman:thumbsup, truly every time I called him he answered all my annoying questions. :thumbsup,

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
AMEN!!
He da man!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good work Shadowman and Don at Safecraft.

Aug 25, 2006
I remained confident that a solution was close at hand; SafeCraft is truly a great company that care.

Thank you all for the kind words; my hope is that through that which I do an example is made that others will follow particularly in this at times sad "what's in it for me" world that we live it.

Takes care

Shadowman

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I also purchased a fire suppresion system from Don at Safecraft. He is great guy to deal with. Like shadowman said, probably an off day for Rocky. Gee with a name like Rocky he has to be a great guy!
I also am having a problem up here in Canada with the Halon product. I have emailed Don back and forth on the issue. It is not his fault by any means. I seem to have a very small leak and have lost about .7 lbs of total weight.
It seems to a real problem up here in Canada to get these bottles refilled/recharged. :thumbsdow
Since my system is the bottle and braided line ( not hard line) it is going to be a bit of a PIA to ship it all back to California. This shipment when it was to be shipped to me the first time took about 2 months and coverd the USA 2 times.
Any ideas for us Canadian guys about recharging/refilling??

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Do you have a fire extinguisher vendor? If they can't do it you would think they would know someone. Halon is widely used in computer data centers, so you could go the tech route and ask a heavy tech vendor.

I found a link in 3M Canada. Apparently Halon is bad for the ozone. That means that it will be as easy to get as freon (near impossible). 3M has an alternative. Maybe it will operate in your system without modification:

http://www.3m.com/intl/ca/english/about_us/press_releases/pnews02-022.html

If you follow the links it is now available.

Last edited:

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
why not get a leak detector and track it down yourself. unless they are very expensive.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
mousecatcher once the leak is fixed it still needs to be recharged.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
silverbullet tried my supplier for my business. He couldn't help. Went to my race suppleir who gave me a name and they couldn't help either. I guess the tech route is next call.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
why not get a leak detector and track it down yourself. unless they are very expensive.

About $150 to $600.