My First "Door Ding"

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I washed my car today and found my first “door ding”. I have no idea where/how it happened as I’m unbelievably careful about where I park… but there it was. No paint damage just a medium sized dent. Does anyone know if the art of “pulling out” dents in car exteriors has been perfected and, if so, what should I be looking for in a company that does this?

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I can't recall where you are based Rob... here in the UK there is a company called 'Dentmaster' who are very good. They get behind the skin of the dent area and press out the dent - they use special tools to massage out the dent. N

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I've used companies called DentWorks and Dentwizard here in NoVa in the past. Like everything else including doctors and lawyers, the quality of the work depends on the expertise, pride and diligence of the individual doing the work. In both cases in which I had dents pulled, the work was nearly flawless and certainly much, much better than blocking/repainting. I also saw a 355 Ferrari that had been in a hailstorm and it was amazing what DentWorks did. I say get some referrals locally and go for it. Most educated eyes go right to those dings and fussy owners like us are even worse. Around here they charge about $125 or so for the first ding and then less for additional (not that you'll wait for any more!) Good luck!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Try a high end car dealer, they use the guys all the time to detail and prep damage on new and used stock.

Pipelion

That sucks,

Sorry,

Allan

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Very sorry to hear about the ding. :frown

Pipelion

Albolfaz,

You're up late! I'm not complainning , just noticed you're east coast.

Happy Floriday

Allan :biggrin

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Pipelion said:
Albolfaz,

You're up late! I'm not complainning , just noticed you're east coast.

Happy Floriday

Allan :biggrin

Wife is in Costa Rica (told her to use condoms...) I've been free for three days and am enjoying my freedoms until she gets back. Being online while she's home or awake is impossible.

Pipelion

:willy :rofl :biggrin :cheers

Allan

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
She's back tomorrow... :frown

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Neilda, I'm in Surrey so I’ll look into Dentmaster. Have you used them before?

Rob

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I had a medium sized door ding on my black Mercedes. I used a dent repair service and it is gone, not noticable at all. Black is the easiest color to see every flaw, hence I am sure yours will turn out as well.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Rob, I'm in Surrey too - take a look at:

http://www.dentman.co.uk

Also

http://www.dentfix.co.uk

Pipelion

Rob,

Just watched a TV show today with the two guys from Canada that redo cars.

They had a spot showing a dent remover specailist. He removed door dings without repainting with a long tool down the window slot. Then he massaged out the dings to a perfect smooth original look. I wouldn't believe it without seeing.

I don't know if this technique will work on the GTs, if the doors are aluminum and
whatever's under the aluminum.

Allan

ReiKo

Mar 8, 2006
Grosse Pointe, MI
If possible can you describe exactly where the door ding is or provide a picture? Cause you have to remember some area of the door has the crash beam in it that might not be accessed easily or be able to get fixed easily... Or in a area that's going to be very hard to fix...

Pipelion

I for got to post that the guy also used a miriad of tiny suction cups.

Allan

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Door Dings

First time in here, I have had dings on other cars, I also have used "Dent King" and "Ding Doctor" which do a fair job, may have to repeat the process a couple of times. If it is a sharp angled ding, probably won't eliminate it, if it is more shallow, should do the trick.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
I wonder what went through the guys head the moment he "got" you.

THUD....OOPS! (sneaks away)

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
This door ding story has really put me into a tizzy. I'm afraid to park the car. Last night I parked on lincoln road (miami beach) and I couldn't eat thinking about the guy in front of me backing into me or the guy behind me hitting me or the crackhead on the bicycle falling on the car.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Abolfaz--
Yeah, you really should be careful of a guy backing up into you at Lincoln
Road.

Regards,

Your nieghbor