200 mph, Whipple and the Salt Flats

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Gentelmen,

In the recent past, and under strictly controlled conditions, I decided to become a member of club 200. A couple of quick observations:

1. The Whipple, pulling in 5th gear, does not take much time to get to that illustrious speed. There's certainly no waiting for the speedo to inch up after 180. It's all bidness, all the way around the dial. It was still pulling like a freight train when I hit an indicated 205.

2. The wind noise at 200 is deafening.

3. I was so entirely focused on the task at hand that I could not absorb the landscape rushing by or even get a true feel for what it means to go that fast. It all felt the same after about 150.

4. The car gets lower and meaner and the suspension loads increase as the speeds go up. After about 180 I felt like I was glued to the tarmac.

5. It takes a long time to slow down. Remember, at that speed you do 199 twice, once on the way up, once on the way back. I brushed the brakes to try to scrub off some speed and the nose, with all that down force, really seemed to bob down. The rolling resistance at that speed is so intense that simply lifting off is like hitting a brick wall. No braking recommended until the speed comes down.

6. Don't try this on a public road. 200 is just so fast that you can't process how much ground you are covering. The smallest mishap and your as dead as a nit.

THE SALT FLATS

Has anyone here ever run on the Salt Flats? I've been out there to watch, but never to drive. My questions are as follows:

a. Will the sanctioning body allow a stock GT to run at the event?
b. Is the surface somewhat rough at high speed?

THE STATISTIC

How many people in the world have DRIVEN at 200 mph? The number has to be in the low thousands. That means us GT drivers are an extremely elite group. :thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Congrats Mr. Mitty! I don't think you want to run your car at the flats. Better at a standing mile event. If you'd like to ship your car ad run privately at an airfield send me a PM.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
If you can run at the flats you need to tape the fenderwells. I saw a picture of a cobra daytona in Car and Driver a couple of years back. The panels behind the rear wheels were almost gone due to being pelted with salt at high speed. I guess if you have been there you have seen different protection methods.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
This will be one of my goals for this year!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I just did my first 200 + run. The factory speedo is off by about 5 mph at that speed. I planted a gps right in front of me so I didn't need to look over at the factory speedo.. It's a rush for sure !!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Gentelmen,

The rolling resistance at that speed is so intense that simply lifting off is like hitting a brick wall. No braking recommended until the speed comes down.

Absolutely true. Mark McGowan the Vmax Ford test driver at Nardo, Italy said after the 213 mph production release run, just taking his foot off the gas resulted in a 1G deceleration due to aerodynamic loads. Lots and lots of HP required to push the car through the air at that speed, even with the low FGT drag coefficient.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
welcome to the 200 mph club :cheers

with a whipple i would think you could go at least 220 mph if not closer to 230 mph. how much boost are you running and what did it dyno?

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
:thumbsup Gotta love it!!!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Gentelmen,

a. Will the sanctioning body allow a stock GT to run at the event?
b. Is the surface somewhat rough at high speed?

The SCTA (Southern California Timing Association) has a whole bunch of tules governing running at Bonneville. This includes safty equipment, including roll cage, tires specs, cut-off switches, etc. You can contact them and get a copy of the rules book. But a stock GT will not qualify.

Also they require that you pass their driving tests. If memory serves me correctly the first is driving at no more than 135 mph on the Salt on the short course. Second is 150, no higher on long course. Only then are you cleared to go faster. Blowing a test is a serious offence.

Depending upon weather and number of other vehicles making 6-8 runs in the week is possible. Of course no mechanical issues also helps.

The salt is much more slick and slippery than driving on a paved road. It takes a new skill to drive quick on the Salt. You cannot floor the accelerator and expect to have traction. The salt was extremely wet this year, with standing water, making it very tricky to drive fast.

Yes the surface is rough.

My good buddy Bob Ida did it this past season and we expect to go back again next year.

One last thing the amount of salt the car will pick-up is amazing. Gets into everything. So if you are concerned about how your GT looks this may not be for you.

Hope this helps

Dave

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
welcome to the 200 mph club :cheers

with a whipple i would think you could go at least 220 mph if not closer to 230 mph. how much boost are you running and what did it dyno?

I'm running the mildest boost package they offer (15 psi) and the car dynoed at 701 hp.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
The SCTA (Southern California Timing Association) has a whole bunch of tules governing running at Bonneville. This includes safty equipment, including roll cage, tires specs, cut-off switches, etc. You can contact them and get a copy of the rules book. But a stock GT will not qualify.

Also they require that you pass their driving tests. If memory serves me correctly the first is driving at no more than 135 mph on the Salt on the short course. Second is 150, no higher on long course. Only then are you cleared to go faster. Blowing a test is a serious offence.

Depending upon weather and number of other vehicles making 6-8 runs in the week is possible. Of course no mechanical issues also helps.

The salt is much more slick and slippery than driving on a paved road. It takes a new skill to drive quick on the Salt. You cannot floor the accelerator and expect to have traction. The salt was extremely wet this year, with standing water, making it very tricky to drive fast.

Yes the surface is rough.

My good buddy Bob Ida did it this past season and we expect to go back again next year.

One last thing the amount of salt the car will pick-up is amazing. Gets into everything. So if you are concerned about how your GT looks this may not be for you.

Hope this helps

Dave

Very helpful, Dave. Thanks.:wink

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I just did my first 200 + run. The factory speedo is off by about 5 mph at that speed. I planted a gps right in front of me so I didn't need to look over at the factory speedo.. It's a rush for sure !!
I hit 215 indicated just to make sure. :lol

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
You have spun a very interesting description, like I was "there" with you.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congrats Mr. Mitty! I don't think you want to run your car at the flats. Better at a standing mile event. If you'd like to ship your car ad run privately at an airfield send me a PM.

What gives Dave, you got connections? What about a GT Club exclusive event?

As far as braking at 200 mph...when you do a Mile event, you HAVE to brake fairly hard immediately in order to stop before you run out of runway. That's another kind of excitement.:thumbsup

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
As far as braking at 200 mph...when you do a Mile event, you HAVE to brake fairly hard immediately in order to stop before you run out of runway. That's another kind of excitement.:thumbsup

Absolutely correct, do it at Maxon with a curve on the track and it makes it even more fun.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

W. Mitty, congrats on both the achievement and the interesting observations.

Kumar, wow, awesome.

Brian, so much for remaining anonymous.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I'm running the mildest boost package they offer (15 psi) and the car dynoed at 701 hp.

you got some sweet cars :thumbsup is that ferrari an F430?

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
you got some sweet cars :thumbsup is that ferrari an F430?

You betcha.

Here's a link to some photos and a review I wrote.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8373

Last edited:

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Yes you can run your GT! :thumbsup though you will need to do a few things to keep it straight and keep traction. then there will be safety requirements ( not sure if the chassis will be considered a roll cage, especially over 200 mph) . The class you would be C/ Blown gas touring and the record is 238 mph

I hold 5 records out on Bonneville and am a Bonneville 200 mph Club Life member. I have both a 32 High-boy roadster that is powered by a SRT4 turbo motor ( this is the car that got me in the club and 4 records- Known as the fasted 4cyl street roadster on the planet) and I have a SRT4 that I ran and broke the record at 221MPH in the Stock Production class ( this car is the fastest 4cyl production supercharged car on the planet- has hit top speed of 236mph).see http://www.racedeckracing.com
If you have question, drop me a line

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Jorgen

My understanding is that if a car can exceed 150 mph it requires a roll cage, fire supression system, parachute, appropriate cut-off switches, and removal of upholstery (no more than 1/2 inch padding on seat bottom, seat extensions that do not allow your head to move side-to-side, plus other safety related items. Thus I do not believe a stock GT can run at Bonneville.

If I have a misunderstanding I would appreciate more info. I agree on C/BGT as long as there are no body changes.

Dave

PS Your product still gets raves from people who see it in my gararge.