Vibration/Rattle

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
I have just noticed a strong vibration/rattle which seems to come from the area around the gear shifter. The "noise'[ will begin at approx. 3500 RPM's and get louder as the R's increase. It is most pronounced going uphill but happens on flat roads as well. Had the car over to the dealer and they took off all the underpanels--said there was some gravel in the belly pan and said all seems fine--the noise is more pronounced now than ever.

Anyone experience something similar?

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I have a slight rattle in 3rd gear around those RPM's.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
:biggrin Nope, my early '05 is rattle free!

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
I'ts all gears for me

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
i have a early 06 build. similar noise. not due to gravel as i cleaned them out when doing my own oil change.

seems to be a resonant frequency from 2500-3500 rpm. goes away at lower and higher rpms.

i'm still waiting for the backordered radio puller tools before i pull the console and look around under there.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
zim32 said:
I have just noticed a strong vibration/rattle which seems to come from the area around the gear shifter. The "noise'[ will begin at approx. 3500 RPM's and get louder as the R's increase. It is most pronounced going uphill but happens on flat roads as well. Had the car over to the dealer and they took off all the underpanels--said there was some gravel in the belly pan and said all seems fine--the noise is more pronounced now than ever.

Anyone experience something similar?
I have !

very similar. Took it back to my dealer Maroone Ford, and they found a loose washer in the area around the shifter. Maybe you just have the same issue here.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Rattle

Could it be interior trim on door panel? The brushed aluminum rings seemed to hum on my car for awhile. They need some felt or silicone under them.

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
i have had a rattle and found out thet my parking brake had a loose bolt also around the shifter

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
Which Maroone Ford dealer-there seem to be a few in FLA--I will ask my mechanic to call and get info on your fix. Thanks for all the help!!!

Mark

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
zim32 said:
Which Maroone Ford dealer-there seem to be a few in FLA--I will ask my mechanic to call and get info on your fix. Thanks for all the help!!!

Mark
Maroone Ford , Ft.Lauderdale. Ask for Jose there (although doesn't work in the right department, will help you out), he is here as MOD friendly, or Brian Stahl. See other posts. he also posted his phonenumber somewhere..
cheers

stefan

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
Thanks so much!

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
After 4 weeks of having my 06' GT at the shop I am happy (and tentative) to report that the annoying vibration/rattle seems to have been fixed. For 3+ weeks the tech was talking to numerous GT engineers and having no luck in isolating the problem.

Then along came AMER SPD, a contributor to this site, and after 1 well placed phone call--there was an engineer at Beverly Hills Ford THE NEXT MORNING!! He diagnosed the problem and had it fixed that same morning!

It was termed a "fluid buzz" created by the metal tubes that run along the firewall at the base of the floorboard near the frame and behind the console (AC line, fuel vapor line etc.). By repositioning some zip-ties--it was gone. The problem would occur when the motor was under load and started at approx. 3300 RPM's and got louder as engine speed increased.

Again special thanks to AMER SPD for his interest and the phone call to his "connections" at Ford--you were invaluable. Also thanks to Rick--my mechanic at Beverly Hills Ford for your caring and professionalism. I would gladly put my GT in his care---any time.

Hope this post helps someone else avoid the type of downtime i experienced.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
White Petunia said:
I had a similar rattle as zim32. Except I only noticed mine when the a/c was on. The rattle would come and go, lasting about 10 seconds. Thanks to zim32's help, after a 30 minute drive, I think it's solved - at least I hope so. In the passenger footwell, up near the radio, I wedged some foam in and around the copper coloured pipes.

Thanks zim32 :cheers

ok... don't send me to the owner's manual. Real men never unwrap theirs (duck, incoming :biggrin ) what the hey is the fuel reset?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Heater core insulation kit

NOTE: This started as an old post.

I have attached both before and after images of the insulation I have installed on the copper tubing that probably goes to the heater core. It does reduce the heat buildup within the car during extended trips! This may also dampen unwanted vibrations that some of you are experiencing.

So far there are been no side effects. It's a very tight fit in there and perhaps that's why Ford passed on doing this.

This will be a new product soon!

Thanks,
Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Passenger%20side.jpg

Copper%20tubing%20insulation.jpg