wheel net tie downs

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
Now that I know we are on for Wixom I need to start working on how to tie my car down for the ride.I'd like to drive but rain,traffic,bugs,and the condition of rt80 make trailering my best option.The best part of the trailer is that I have a portable garage to use every night.
Has anyone found a set of wheel basket tie downs that fit well on our tire sizes?I've been looking and there are quite a few options,but it all comes down to something that will provide a decent fit.Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Guy

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Give Linda Wilson at S-Line a call- 1-800-687-9900 ext 284.

They have already made a set for another GT in town and are making mine. She couldn't figure out a way to get a bonnet over the tires with the tight fit. What she is making me is a strap that hooks on one side of the wheel then wraps over the top and down to another hook and out to a ratchet. The strap has Rubber Wheel grippers on it that slide and are used to keep the wheel and strap from slidding. I should have mine soon and I will let you know how I like them. She can do different colors too...I am having Orange :)

Matt

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I'll buy a set ASAP to keepn in the car

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Sounds good... keep us posted.

Ray

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Tie Downs

I bought a set of basket tie downs from Truck and Tow Accessories. Although they were close they interfered with the brake calipers and brake pipes. I don't see anything wrong with running a strap through the wheels as long as they don't interfere with the body. Other's thoughts???

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
tie downs

I think a strap through wheels would be the easiest by far,but I know that the wheels would be scuffed by any kind of strap running through the spokes.A single strap sounds good,but it will require me to drill a lot more holes through the trailer floor and I'll have to drive over all the attachment points.I've been thinking about a 4' length of load track to the outside of each wheel.Vulcan makes a wheel tie down that attaches to the outside of the tire front and rear.That would allow the car to be secured without crawling underneath.The downside is that even with a 102" trailer it's pretty tight inside between the tires and the trailer walls.Again,any and all help and/or comments gladly welcomed.

Thanks, Guy

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
last week I picked up my gt. straped through the wheels with a rag to help protech it and no probelem 8 hous and never touched a thing and not one scratch. the widest is at the rear wheels and they are behine the wheel wells of the trailer.

It is close but fit fine. Prefer winching the ar in & out. I drove it in and had to get near naked to get out the passenger window.

The tow hook in the tire pump case is Left Hand thread and you might want to wrap a shop rag around it so as not to chip paint. :thumbsup

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
This is how I got mine home. Used a few towels and had no marks on the wheels.

Attachments

• aa pick up GT 050.jpg
    aa pick up GT 050.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

DALLAS

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2006
Trailer..........larry

HI

I hav started to shop for a trailer for taking the GT on long trips....I thought getting out of the driver door would be a problem....but does the side door(like the one in LARRYs trailer) alow you to open the driver door and exit without damage?....and the tie down is also an issue.....thanks for the help.
DALLAS

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Dallas,

When I had the trailer built I had the trailer floor raised 1 1/2" over stock(also gives a bit more storage room if you want a floor compartment) and the side door installed as low as possible.
I was very pleased when the GT door cleared and opened fully. Easy in -easy out. I was prepared to climb out the window.
Most of the cars clear just fine except for the Cobra R's.

Also I strap thru the wheels using towels and trailer to Nevada twice a year for the Silverstate and have not scuffed a wheel on the 95' R.

Larry

Attachments

• pick up GT 044a_edited-3.jpg
    pick up GT 044a_edited-3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I got the tie downs yesterday guys...we are putting the e-track in the trailer today and then I will post pics of the straps both off and on the car when we use them on Thursday.

They came out really nice and I don't think they will have any problem holding down the car at all.

Matt

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Do you get better tension going across than straight back. I would think the tension is stronger with a straight line vs cross over. Alos, I'm looking at a few trailers with escape doors. If I find a pre built couldn't I just lay down a 2x12 to raise the 1 1/2" for clearance?
Tks,

Last edited:

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Funat50, Yes, I guess you could raise the floor that way. Just keep in mind when walking about you don't trip on the raised portion.
I generally haul a Mustang and do tie the wheels straight back. My straps were too long when I picked up the GT so I crossed them to get the car home. I think straight back is easier on the suspension.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Lgaruti said:
Funat50, Yes, I guess you could raise the floor that way. Just keep in mind when walking about you don't trip on the raised portion.
I generally haul a Mustang and do tie the wheels straight back. My straps were too long when I picked up the GT so I crossed them to get the car home. I think straight back is easier on the suspension.

I suggest you always cross your straps.... ALWAYS. :lol