Procharger C6 ZO6 6psi test car= BOOM!

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Ya heard it here 1st.

Source does not want to be identified.

The 06 ZO6 was the Procharger "test" car that was on loan to Procharger from the cusomer since 1st delivered. (6 months?)

The ZO6's owner says 6psi totally grenaded the piston (#7?) while the customer was driving it home from the dyno session.

PISTON SHOT THROUGH THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK !!!!!!!!

He claims the titanium rods were undamaged.

Dyno recorded 620 rwhp before the car left with the customer. (D1?)

I don't know folks.
It seems like maybe it would be wise to stop modding the 06 ZO6 with a cam and headers.
I had planned cam, headers, and a 100 shot on a 06 Z for the weekends.

But after what I have been hearing lately,
I believe the LS7 should be left to natural aspiration.

But,
what the hell do I know?

bu-bye blue devil

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
After recently blowing up my 1 year engine build Subaru, I am coming to the conclusion the an overly aggressive tune with a little to much timing, or a little bit to lean of a air/fuel ratio can really mess up one's day.

There can be substantial variations from cylinder to cylinder and I am told that only Motek engine management can tune each cylinder seperately.

When high boost pressures are run, sometimes the air pressure can stack up on a particular cylinder and cause an overy lean condition leading to detonation.

I am surprised to find out the many companies who claim to be expert tuners, can be to aggressive and ruin an otherwise good engine.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
6lbs of pressure is usually not enough to upset an engine with a higher static compression. It sounds like either to low of octane fuel or a tuning screw up.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
californiacuda said:
6lbs of pressure is usually not enough to upset an engine with a higher static compression. It sounds like either to low of octane fuel or a tuning screw up.

actually this would be incorrect. 6 psi of boost on a engine that has a static compression ratio of 11.0:1 is asking for trouble in my opinion. boosted engines that are set up properly have their compression ratio lowered to anywhere from 7.5:1 to a maximum of 9.5:1 on gasoline. blown alcohol engines run as much as 13:1 compression ratio with major amounts of boost because the alcohol lowers cylinder temperatures and EGT's dramatically.

that bein said in order to run 6 psi on a gas burning engine with 11:1 compression ratio you would need to put in colder spark plugs gapped accordingly and way retard the timing. also i wouldn't run anything less than 100 octane unleaded fuel on a setup like this. pump gas = BOOM

the highest unleaded octane fuel you can get is 104 octane. with leaded fuels you can get as high as 120 octane but they are not compatible with O2 sensors. the ford GT has forged pistons and a boost friendly 8.5:1 compression ratio. the C6-Z06 has cast pistons that need to be swapped out for forged lower compression dished pistons in order to run boost. once this is done that motor can and will make 1,000+ hp with turbocharged boost levels as high as 20 psi on 104 octane. of course other engine parts such as the crank and camshaft, etc will need to be upgraded as well :thumbsup

Last edited:

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
So when whipple or kenne bell or vortec or saleen or magnuson or paxton or roush or TRD or, or, or, or, or, or, sell sc kits that go on cars with static compression of say 9.5/1 and up, and they operate at around 5lbs of boost and add about 100hp, they dont work or they blow up engines or they have to run on 120 octane. I'm confused, why dont you educate me.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
lmao, not suprised by this one bit.

What were they expecting with a 11.0 compression and 6 lbs on gas...

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
50 BMG said:
lmao, not suprised by this one bit.

What were they expecting with a 11.0 compression and 6 lbs on gas...

A bomb in the combustion chamber and guess what? THEY GOT IT :thumbsup

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
You guys are right. That's too much compression/boost/timing, especially for pump gas! Hole #7 is also the leanest burning one on a SB Chevy. It probably had severe detonation which resulted in almost instant piston death. This engine may be a completely different block structure compared the original SB.

When I supercharged my 1923 Ford "T," I lowered the static compression ratio to 7.65 to 1 and used real good forged pistons with Carrillo rods. This setup can run with 13 lbs. of boost safely, all day long.

Bottom line is; We owners are fortunate, since our GT engine was designed to be robust from the ground up to operate with a lot of supercharger, reliably!

Also, don't we have forged pistons in our GT's?

Last edited:

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
analogdesigner said:
Also, don't we have forged pistons in our GT's?

Yes

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
For those of you who are afraid of high static compression, check out this article on the Fast engine management website.
www.fuelairspark.com/articlesaboutus/detail.asp?id=1275862102

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I have been watching to many episodes of the Simpsons. go to web site for fast engine management and look at one of the articles where they do a comparison between similar engines with different compression ratios.
www.fuelairspark.com

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
So do we think a 2,8 or 2,7 or 2,58 pulley swap is safe, or taking the gamble, cuda ?

interesting thread better than intense threat