yokohama advan ad 048 question

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I'm headed to the track this weekend and am taking the Lotus. My question is does anyone know the thickness of the advan ad048's? I'm at the wear bar on the backs and don't know if they are good to run or if I should toss and get another pair. Just bought a pair of Goodyear GSD3's for the back .... 15000 miles and they hit the wear bars... fronts look perfect. Sounds like the duration of the GT also. Well Jeff says 10K for the rears.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Steve- post it over on Elisetalk. I would not venture to tell you one way or the other, due to safety reasons.

At some point you may want to try Hoosiers, or Yoko slicks. I have not touched the potential of my S, but as I improve...:banana

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
friend of mine ran the yoko slicks and they seemed to perform very well...

not that this answers your question, just my 0.02$

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
wear bar

There is more rubber on the ground when you get to the wear bar! I drove my rear Hoosiers until the grooves were gone & then I had full slicks. Don't do this kids.

All R tires have only 5 heat cycles available (one decent track day). After that it is downhill on traction; although, they are stickier than any OEM tire all the way to their bitter end!

Ed

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
We ran 048 on the specracers for a couple years, I seem to recall they were shaved to 6-32", Our issues with them was that the performance rolled off after only a few cycles. There were guys using several sets a weekend. But as for the tread, if we chose to run them down the tread was almost gone, but we would get them off as the grip was gone before the tread was gone.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Well.... I am wondering if I would be better off running the gsd3's instead since I am looking at five sessions on a fairly tight technical track.

your thoughts?

S

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Try 'em - you will never really know until you burn some rubber.

Then by all means let us know. There are a few of us that have Lotuses- or is it Loti?

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I'm mounting the yoko's and taking the gsd3's with me just in case. Have a open trailer that the shop uses to bring in wrecked cars so I have plenty of room. Should be interesting pulling the lotus on a heavy trailer behind the land cruiser with a ton of stuff in it. :lol

just got the track bar in so I have a big evening planned of banging knuckles. The jack slipped pulling the yoko's and I got my hand pinched in between the a arm and the jackstand. Was an interesting couple of minutes but nothing broken. Luckily was wearing a pair of impact gloves. hope it will be better before the weekend as shifting will be a bit tender if its doesn't.

Will keep you guys posted.

S

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
update on the yokos

I ran the yokohamas at Hallett over the weekend. The held up better than I imagined they would grew consistantly stickier as the day went on. Ran both saturday and sunday five sessions each day. After two days was running consistant 1:36.XXX on the tires without really any fade in them. Last sessions took a few laps to get warm.

I think the better tire for lapping would be the hoosier and a reinforced toe link system. Had a decent time ... the staff and all are first rate as where the people in my group. Guess need to run the PGT with the Lotus to have a better time.

Kip was down with his dad ... always great to see them. Will be another event the end of next month. Check it out at hallettracing.com.

Attached pic.

Attachments

• lotus lap.jpg
    lotus lap.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 459