Parking/Maintenance Lift.

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Anyone got any suggestions as to the one to buy. I have a clear height of 9'-8" if it makes a difference. Need to be able to get the GT on it. Thanks in advance.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here's a link to the one I have: http://www.revolutionlifts.com/

and here's a link to their ceiling clearance calculator:
http://www.revolutionlifts.com/Ceiling.asp

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Thanks for the info. Nice Website. I will call them in the morning.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Depending on what you plan to do you may need a different type of lift.

If storage and no changing of wheels or brakes use a roll-on.

If you plan to do wheels, brakes etc. then one with lift pads would be the choice.

Just remember you must be extremely careful when use a lift with lift pads.

Dave

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
My company went bk. One critical point if you are not doing a four post lift, is to make damn sure your concrete is poured deep enough and of the proper slurry. I saw on another site a picture of a two post lift that pulled itself out of the concrete. The pad was thin and the slurry was not the proper one for a pad.

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Thanks to all for your replies. I have a couple of major restorations going on. I have about 2500 of square feet of concrete to be utilized with about 1000 of it inside. I think the ideal of the four poster with wheels that Florida Chris pointed me too is the way to go for me. Again thanks for your replies.

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Lifts

There's a lot of them out there, both U.S. and foreign. I looked for months and finally purchased a four post 7k lb unit from American Custom Lifts, out of San Diego. Brad Davies, the mgr there, was great to deal with. www.aclifts.com
Just had it installed today. Seems well designed, very sturdy and had all the safety and operating features I wanted. They also have a guy(s) who will load it up and deliver essentially anywhere in the country...for a fee.
Prices vary depending on specials being run, options, design and weight limits. My biggest concerns were safety - enclosed leg design, positive four post locks, etc. I also got the aluminum ramps for easier handling and full drip pan coverage to prevent liquid drips onto the car below. Finally, I wanted a dealer who could provide reasonable shipping and installation.
Many distributors will motor freight it to your door, where the truck driver will tell you to come out and figure out how to get the ~2500 pound bundled rig out or his truck and into your garage! Check this issue carefully as you consider various vendors.

By the way, I can't believe I've lived so many years, crawing under cars on ramps, when I could have had this rig and worked on my cars in realtive comfort!

Good luck.

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Hey StuM. What did all this new convienence set you back. How much for the lift and how much for delivery and installation. thanks in advance

Last edited:

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Lift "set-back"

4ordGT,
I paid about 2500 plus 500 shipping and installation. Had some additional options like full center drip trays and aluminum ramps.
So far it seems like a great rig. If you have parking space limitations (and a ~10' plus high ceiling) and/or want to easily work under your car this is a great way to go.

Now...go ahead and tell me again to buy my damn GT and get on with lovin' the car. I need a push to make the final plunge!!!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
StuM said:
4ordGT,
I paid about 2500 plus 500 shipping and installation. Had some additional options like full center drip trays and aluminum ramps.
So far it seems like a great rig. If you have parking space limitations (and a ~10' plus high ceiling) and/or want to easily work under your car this is a great way to go.

Now...go ahead and tell me again to buy my damn GT and get on with lovin' the car. I need a push to make the final plunge!!!!

I have had a unit on wheels, it took two guys to push it. I prefer a four post bolted down. Also prefer 220v, the 110 is to slow. Make sure you get a drip pan and jack trays if you wish to pull the wheels off. There are some cheapo units that need to be avoided. The installation requires two strong guys who know what they are doing, the components are heavy. I would gladly pay for an install. Lots of forums have discussed these lifts and the information is easily found.

When measuring don't forget to take into consideration clearing the open - closed garage door. Real important.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Fyi

I am in process of grabbing one of these, here in the NEng, I am getting the imported version, it does have an american pump on it, sadly I could not justify the extra $1000+ for the ameriacn version. Imported version the vendor stocks (so no shipping as he gets full containers at a time), so not only the difference in the materials cost, the american version, adds $350 in shipping, and on top of all of that, comes with less accessories.

http://www.tecequip.com/storage_parking_lifts.htm

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Parking/...

I had a 4 post (Americaspride) before getting the GT and have to back on to it for door clearance to exit the car. Not a big deal but driving on vs backing on would be easier, so plan the location accordingly. The GT's tires take the total width of the runways. Get a 220 volt motor/pump. Looking at the underside of the GT is about as sweet as it gets.

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
BAck onto/into parking life

Kirby, I thought I measured everything 14 times before I bought and installed my lift. Now you go and rain on my parade. I never considered the extra width I'd need to open the GT door and get out! My other cars are fine on and under the lift and I love it, but the GT is a whole different story with it's top-hat doors.
I can do it, as my lift is arranged, but I too will have to back into the lower spot.
Crap! So much for "measure twice, cut once"! Oh well, life could be more problematic.

Great driving to all. :thumbsup

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Stu, are you saying as long as I mount the lift near a right wall vs. a left wall then I shouldn't have a problem?

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
$ord GT

Yes, if you can, shift it to the right to give you as much space as possible on the drivers side. The lift is not the problem, it's your garage wall or whatever you have on that side of your space. Mine is laid out such that I had to put my lift more to the left due to my garage bay layout and other passage needs. It's not a problem, just a design challange. I currently have a Cobra on top and my Z8 underneith and neither are a problem re their doors. But I can see that the GT will be different.

I can't tell you how great the lift is for easily getting under your cars. I can't believe I spent all those years on my back on cold garage floors.
I'm a neat freak re my cars, so now I can clean every nook and cranny!

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Thanks for the Info. StuM.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
you guys have too much money

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
lifts

I have an autolifters 4 post portable,american made and sturdy.Backyard buddy is also american made and the quality is at least as good as the autolifters.I also have a 2 post inground.Between the two it really makes working on my cars easier.
Guy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Tom B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 1, 2005
Fallston, MD
I like the single post style, easy to install, it can be used for repairs, cleaning and storage.

Attachments

• h1hummer 015.jpg
    h1hummer 015.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 144