Noobie...Introduction and pics of my 2005 #1872

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Hello everyone! I've been a member for a couple months now after purchasing my 2005 GT red/white stripe with all options from a forum member here (EdsGT) Thank you very much Ed, for this awesome car! I drove up to Michigan to look at the car and Ed was very accomodating. We went for a ride (albeit) a short one since he did not re-register the car knowing he was going to sell it. The car was exactly as he described and the deal was sealed. I then contacted Gary Almond to transport the car to Illinois. What a guy he is! If Gary says something, he gets it done. He busted his balls to meet many deadlines before he had to leave for China again and was able to deliver my car in perfect order on the day he promised me. Thanks again Gary! I would highly recommend him to anyone! And price wise, he was more than competitive with the big names like Intercity, DAS, etc.

I jumped into the GT from previously owning 2 vipers. A 98' blown GTS and a 93 RT/10 stock. All I can say is that the GT is such a different beast. So civilized yet razor sharp when it wants to be. I can't believe how supple the ride is and how easy it is to drive. It doesn't have quite the grunt that the GTS did but who cares. How much HP can you really use on the streets anyway?

So far, I have installed a Bob Ida catback and am thoroughly pleased with the exhaust note. A little louder at idle and cruising around but when you get on it, it's music to my ears. No drone, no annoying rasp, just the right amount of popping on decelleration which I enjoy anyway. Install was pretty straight forward. I did not have to remove the clamshell or lower the transmission. Just taped up alot of panels, crossmembers, etc, and had my wife help me lift the stock muffler out of place. Took me a whole afternoon but I was taking my time.

Next, I installed a Ford Racing short shift kit and was pleased with the results. Shifting is not necessarily smoother but it is shorter and perceptively so. It does take a little more muscle to get into first but only sometimes. Overall, I highly recommend it. Took me a whole afternoon but I was documenting the install with pics and going slow. I have already typed up a DIY with plenty of pics that I will post soon so look out for that if you plan on doing the job by yourself. I have included some tips and things to watch out for along the way.

I will be posting another DIY on clear front side markers which unfortunately are not made for our cars. I love the Euro/clean look on all my sports cars so getting rid of the amber light was something I knew I'd do to the GT.

In the short time that I've been here, I've learned a tremendous amount about our cars, maintenance, issues, and met some nice people. I hope to contribute much more to the forum in the future. Take care all:thumbsup

Attachments

• small1.jpg
    small1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 334
  • small2.jpg
    small2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 335
  • small3.jpg
    small3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 330

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Jdoc7,

Congrats on the car! I see you got the fastest color!

Rob

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Welcome and enjoy, Jdoc7!:cheers

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Congratulations and Welcome!

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Very nice !
Please post some pics of the DIY cat backs and sound clip when you can.
And, did you reserch the exhaust before you made a decision ?

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Very nice !
Please post some pics of the DIY cat backs and sound clip when you can.
And, did you reserch the exhaust before you made a decision ?
I was planning on doing a DIY on the catback install but I actually found all the info I needed on this site and from various other sponsors sites so I didn't feel it was necessary to re-post this information. In fact, here is a link to Stillen's DIY on their X-pipe. Just don't take the clamshell off as it's absolutely NOT necessary! http://www.stillen.com/product_files/FGT501000.pdf
By far, the hardest part is getting the stock muffler out but once that's over, the rest is basic bolt on with hand tools, nothing special. The only frustration I had was aliging the tips. Adjustment pretty much has to come from loosening the cats from the exhaust manifold. It was trial and error. After adjusting the cats, I would put the rear bumper into place and check the tips for centering in the plastic exhaust surround. Ultimately, I couldn't get them exactly perfect and found that the fault was with the IDA catback, not the car. They are pretty close but not perfect. You wouldn't notice unless I told you but I'm anal!

As for research, yes, I looked into all the systems available. I chose not to go with the BORLA from Ford racing because most did not think the sound difference was that significant and the weight savings was not as pronounced as the other systems. My first choice was the Heffner because I liked the tips the most but price was a factor and I could not locate a used one. I heard the ACCUFAB and it looked and sounded nice but I heard a number of people with problems with the cheap mounting hardware. Although the cost was the lowest, I decided against it. I did not know about the Stillen before I bought the IDA but it looks similar to the ACCUFAB and I imagine, it would sound similar. Didn't like the TUBI because it's just as big as the stock exhaust and also $$$$$$. FRPP system is waaaaay too loud on the street for me. A member here had an IDA for sale for 1/2 price and I went for it! Couldn't be happier. My biggest concern was in cabin drone at highway cruising speeds and I have none! When you stomp on the GO pedal though, the sound is a mean and throaty bark. There is no way a clip will sound like the real thing! I listened to the compilation over and over and over and from that video, I liked the IDA and ACCUFAB the best. They sound different in real life and I can say that the IDA I have does not sound like the IDA on the compilation. You really must hear them in person to get a good feel for the sounds they make. Hope this helps.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Welcome !!!

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
sweet ride man, enjoy it in good health!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Your VIN is close to mine - also a 2005 red/white - now in the UK.

Congratulations on the car and welcome.....

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Jdoc,

If I remember correctly, the side marker lights are off the shelf Jag pieces. You might try that angle. Maybe one of our UK brothers could check to see if clear lights are available on that side of the pond. Congrats on the car. You won't regret it. Have you started just sitting around looking at it yet? You will. :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
welcome!:thumbsup

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Jdoc,

If I remember correctly, the side marker lights are off the shelf Jag pieces. You might try that angle. Maybe one of our UK brothers could check to see if clear lights are available on that side of the pond. Congrats on the car. You won't regret it. Have you started just sitting around looking at it yet? You will. :thumbsup
Actually, the markers are off of a Land Rover Freelander. They are used as the rear side markers on the Freelander. I looked into it already and they do not come in clear in the US. Of course, the front sides on the Freelander are clear but those lights are not interchangeable. I never thought about checking to see if you can get clears in the UK. Neilda, can you check it out? As for just sitting around looking at it........everyday!:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Delighted to help.

I need to understand which parts these are exactly and I'll be happy to get hold of them and courier them to you.

I could only quickly find a couple of pics of a Freelander and couldn't really see any rear side markers.

freelander1.jpg

LandRover-Freelander.jpg

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Neilda, thanks for offering to help! Much appreciated! However, I think I see the problem. The US Freelanders have side markers on the front and rear bumpers whereas the Euro versions do not. So the markers are probably not offered for sale in the UK through the dealer. I could be wrong, maybe there is an aftermarket over there for them, or you may find someone that has converted over to a US bumper with side markers. If you should run across anything, give me a buzz. Thanks again.

Attachments

• freelander.jpg
    freelander.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 135

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Is it clear ones that you want? I'm not sure we would do clear here in the UK. I have reasonable contacts with both Range Rover/Land Rover and Jaguar, so could easily get parts for you - but, I suspect clear lenses are not used.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Is it clear ones that you want? I'm not sure we would do clear here in the UK. I have reasonable contacts with both Range Rover/Land Rover and Jaguar, so could easily get parts for you - but, I suspect clear lenses are not used.
Yes, clear is what I am looking for, for the front only. I just got off the line with a LandRover parts distributor and he said these are not manufactured in clear and he knows of no aftermarket company offering them. If you find out any different, let me know. Otherwise, I still have an idea that should look and function like OEM. Thanks!

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Yes, clear is what I am looking for, for the front only. I just got off the line with a LandRover parts distributor and he said these are not manufactured in clear and he knows of no aftermarket company offering them. If you find out any different, let me know. Otherwise, I still have an idea that should look and function like OEM. Thanks!
I'm at Roush on Thursday. I'll ask them if they've ever seen any and report back.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Welcome Doc very nice car. Where abouts in Michigan did you get the car?

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Welcome Doc very nice car. Where abouts in Michigan did you get the car?

Thanks! I found it in Richland, MI.

H

HHGT

Congrats. That Red is a magnet for cameras.

BTW, your back tire is low 0.08 PSI and the front on is over 0.015 PSI.:biggrin