spector's questions about real estate

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
Help, question about real estate!

Hi, I didn't post on this forum for quite a while. Well, the the last thread I made (about one year ago) was about what do you forum members do for living and asked advices and tips on how to get "rich".

Don't even bother to read this thread if you didn't care about my last thread's subject since this one will be similar. :lol

Well since then, I've put a "hold" on my college and I am currently working as a machine operator and saving my money. I am thinking about taking courses to become a real estate agent/broker but I heard that if I take the courses here (in Montreal), the diploma will only be recognized in Quebec. The problem is that I wish to move to United-States.

I just wanted to know if any of you guys are in the real estate market and know if this is true.

If yes, what is required in United-States to take real estate courses. I know that here a High School diploma is enough.

Thanks just to have read this thread :ack .

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Most, if not all states within the United States are likely to have a State Department that governs license requirements, application, and maintenance.

For example, in California, there is the California Department of Real Estate (DRE).

Here is a website:

http://www.dre.cahwnet.gov/

The following information is taken directly from the above website, for educational purposes only:

Minimum Requirements to Apply for the Salesperson Exam and License

To obtain a real estate salesperson license, you must first qualify for and pass a written examination. Those who pass the examination are provided a license application which must be submitted to and approved by the DRE.

Age: You must be 18 years of age or older to be licensed.

Residence: Proof of Legal Presence in the United States is required. If you are not a California resident, see Out-of-State Applicants.
Honesty: Applicants must be honest and truthful. Conviction of a crime may result in the denial of a license. Failure to disclose any criminal violation or disciplinary action in an applicant's entire history may also result in the denial of a license. For further information, see Help Avoid Denial of Your License Application and Application Eligibility Information (RE 222).

Experience: None required.

Education: Successful completion of the following college-level courses is required to become a real estate salesperson:

1. Real Estate Principles (must be completed or in progress to apply for examination and must be completed prior to applying for a license); and
2. Real Estate Practice (must be completed prior to applying for a license or within 18 months of license issuance); and
3. One course from the following list (must be completed prior to applying for a license or within 18 months of license issuance):

* Real Estate Appraisal
* Property Management
* Real Estate Finance
* Real Estate Economics
* Legal Aspects of Real Estate
* Real Estate Office Administration
* General Accounting
* Business Law
* Escrows
* Mortgage Loan Brokering and Lending
* Computer Applications in Real Estate
* Common Interest Developments

Note: Members of the bar of any state in the United States or graduates of law schools recognized by the California State Bar will generally qualify on the basis of their education, and as such are exempt from the college-level course requirements. Evidence of admission to practice law, such as a photocopy of both sides of a current State Bar membership card, or of an LL.B. or J.D. Degree should accompany the application.

Also, applicants who submit evidence of having completed the eight statutory college-level courses required for the broker examination and license are eligible to take the salesperson examination without submitting further evidence of experience or education.

Courses must be three semester-units or four quarter-units at the college level. Courses must be completed at an institution of higher learning accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or by a comparable regional accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, or by a private real estate school which has had its courses approved by the California Real Estate Commissioner. Search for approved statutory/pre-license real estate courses.

Courses completed through foreign institutions of higher learning must be evaluated by a foreign credentials evaluation service approved by the Department of Real Estate. See Examination Applicant Foreign Education Information (RE 223).

Copies of official transcripts are generally acceptable evidence of completed courses. Transcripts of equivalent courses submitted as substitutes for the college-level courses listed above must be supported by an official course or catalog description in order to be evaluated for equivalency.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is not intended as legal or real estate advice and may not apply...In any event, the entire thread should be moved to an appropriate place. This has little to do with Ford GT's...

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Well since then, I've put a "hold" on my college and I am currently working as a machine operator and saving my money....

Bad choice IMHO. You will regret this later in life. An investment in your education is the best thing you can do, and I am not talking about real estate agent courses.

This post should be moved to "The Pit at Lemans" section.

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
Bad choice IMHO. You will regret this later in life. An investment in your education is the best thing you can do, and I am not talking about real estate agent courses.

I agree that education is a must, but I currently have no idea in what I want to study. Most of my friends also have the same problem and it results in them having only "passing grades" just because they want to finish with the least efforts. Also, I do not want to stay in Canada for my studies since the diplomas have no real value outside the country. This is why I am trying to resort to; working hard right now to save my money and continue my education in the United-States.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Thanks Chris, so many people are looking for the fast easy buck,... every time I take a short cut it winds up haunting me...

Yes, I moved the thread and advised the thread starter...

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
Thanks Chris, so many people are looking for the fast easy buck,... every time I take a short cut it winds up haunting me...

Yes, I moved the thread and advised the thread starter...

Sorry, I did not know if it was OK to post in this section, my last thread was in this section so I thought it was.

I am not trying to take any shortcuts or trying to make easy fast money. I studied one year in Health Science and then switched into Commerce, I had no idea in what I wished to study in, and my grades were going down.

So, I thought maybe I should put a hold on college for now and go back when I will finally know in what domain I want to study in.

I started pretty young college; at 17, and not every 17 y/o know what they want to do in life.

Bleh anyway, you don't need to know my whole life :p its not even interesting :lol

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Personally I'd suggest getting your AA degree and general education requirements while you're debating what to study, so you can transfer to a 4 year when you decide.

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
Personally I'd suggest getting your AA degree and general education requirements while you're debating what to study, so you can transfer to a 4 year when you decide.

What's AA degree, I haven't heard of this here. Is it only in USA?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
AA

I belong to AA. Athletics Anonymous. It's a self help group for former athletes. Sometimes when I get the urge to do a few push ups, I call a fellow member and they come over and drink with me until the urge passes. :cheers

Chip

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Copied from another website:

An Associate of Arts (A.A.) program is a two-year course of study that covers the core materials needed to complete the first two years of a four-year bachelor's degree. The credits that you earn can be transferred to a four-year college or university of your choice. The A.A. degree is the credential earned when you have successfully completed your two-year course of study.

Don't know if it is only US degree.

Matavarium

Apr 11, 2006
Montreal
Thanks to all of you for your attention to this thread. Ford gt forum members are the best :D

I just got an other question; Is McGill University recognized in the United-States? One of my teachers told me that it is almost the only University in Quebec that you can mention to a US resident and that he will know what you are talking about.

The only domain that interested me for a while is Human Nutrition; Dietitians/Nutritionists and it is given at McGill. Just wanted to know your input on that University.

Thanks again for all of your time!

PS. Sorry for my English... My first language is French -.-'

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
McGill is quite well recognized in the USA for its medical school and the fine physicians and researchers it puts out; of course, most of them come to the US. I've known a few over the years. Dietetic jobs are not a good field in the USA now and you need a PhD to get anyplace with them.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How to get rich?

This article's advice worked for me. I started a company with 4 other co-workers from a previous employer. I went into it thinking the odds were 1 in 10, but little did I know the real odds were much better at 1 in 2!

As Hunter said "It works for me."

Quotes from the article:

To enter the nation's top 1%, you need more than $5 million.

Perhaps not surprisingly, none of them had a cushy union job down at the DMV. The vast majority — 80% — either started their own business or worked for a small company that saw explosive growth. And almost all of them made their fortune in a big lump sum after many years of effort.

Consultant Joel Kurtzman, who evaluated 350 startups for his book Startups That Work, found that successful outlets usually have a team of two or three founders who share a common vision; the success rate for this model was a remarkable 50%. The odds for solo founders were more like the oft-quoted one in 10...

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bu...joining-the-5-million-club-takes-an-open-mind

Last edited:

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
Basically you finish all of your general education requirements, so that when you transfer into a four year university, you go directly into your major. It's a good choice for those who are undecided about a major, as you get to experience a little of everything, and hopefully something catches your attention.