Took delivery, and a nightmare to go with it.

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
Recieved my dream car in Southern California this evening. First mistake, should have waited till day light to get a real good look. The dealer in Washington had kindly put on the cover for the transport to California. The transporter decided to take the GT cover off and put his own plastic tarp on because his trailer leaks. After he left I started looking closely with some additional lighting and the car has a zillion scuff marks everwhere the tarp was touching. Tried a hand buff on a few to see if it was a big deal and it wouldnt touch the marks. Called the transporter back and he said he would file a claim with his insurance company on Monday and go ahead and call a detailer out. Anyone experience something similar and were you able to buff the marks out?????

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
Nothing helpful to say here, but in hindsight, I hear Reliable is very experienced with high end cars. Sorry to hear of your situation, hope it works out to your satisfaction.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
KERRY P said:
Recieved my dream car in Southern California this evening. First mistake, should have waited till day light to get a real good look. The dealer in Washington had kindly put on the cover for the transport to California. The transporter decided to take the GT cover off and put his own plastic tarp on because his trailer leaks. After he left I started looking closely with some additional lighting and the car has a zillion scuff marks everwhere the tarp was touching. Tried a hand buff on a few to see if it was a big deal and it wouldnt touch the marks. Called the transporter back and he said he would file a claim with his insurance company on Monday and go ahead and call a detailer out. Anyone experience something similar and were you able to buff the marks out?????

sorry... who was the transporter...>?>> he should be horse whipped! :eek :confused

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Man, that sucks. Meguairs #80 Speed Glaze and a Porter Cable RO buffer work wonders for swirls and scuffs if you end up doing it yourself.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
KERRY P said:

That is why you should not ship with a cover unless you just spotlessly just cleaned the car. Any delay in placing the cover allows various abrasive particles to settle on the car.

The swaying of the car on the transporter with the cover is what creates many of the swirls.

Have the dealer pay for swirl removal. Best of luck in getting them to pay. Any good detail job can remove the swirls.

Dave

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
tell me the transport company was not 'HORSELESS CARRIAGE'? they are bringing mine from Omaha?

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Florida Chris said:
Meguairs #80 Speed Glaze and a Porter Cable RO buffer work wonders for swirls and scuffs if you end up doing it yourself.

I was going to say the same exact thing.

+1 anyways:biggrin

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
hockeynut said:
tell me the transport company was not 'HORSELESS CARRIAGE'? they are bringing mine from Omaha?

It's not the fault of the carrier but the shipper. No cover that rubs on the car.

Dave

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
Thanks for all the input, the transporter was AAA Automovers however they sub contracted it to another vendor who was not remotely capable of carrying this caliber of car. My fault for not asking if they subbed any of their work, and if they had ever transported a GT.
Learned something else from this experience. The GT has specific tie down requirements for transporting. It is a separate card in the manual that the dealer is suppose to present to the transporter. Any other method of tie down can damage the suspension components. This guy nor the dealer were aware of this and he was tied on to control arms and anything else he could get his straps on. I need to get the car up in the air to check for damage, with the way my luck is going the insurance claim could grow significantly.
My advice for those getting ready to transport would be to make sure the dealer and the trucking company know about the specific tie down requirements for this car, and the trailer is guaranteed to be weatherproof.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
KERRY P said:
Thanks for all the input, the transporter was AAA Automovers however they sub contracted it to another vendor who was not remotely capable of carrying this caliber of car. My fault for not asking if they subbed any of their work, and if they had ever transported a GT.
Learned something else from this experience. The GT has specific tie down requirements for transporting. It is a separate card in the manual that the dealer is suppose to present to the transporter. Any other method of tie down can damage the suspension components. This guy nor the dealer were aware of this and he was tied on to control arms and anything else he could get his straps on. I need to get the car up in the air to check for damage, with the way my luck is going the insurance claim could grow significantly.
My advice for those getting ready to transport would be to make sure the dealer and the trucking company know about the specific tie down requirements for this car, and the trailer is guaranteed to be weatherproof.

Great advise, only use capable proven enclosed haulers. Check to make sure their insurance covers damage, traditional haulers insurance does not cover damage. Go to Ferrarichat and search "car hauler dropped my car" thread.
Feel bad for you.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Kerry-

Sorry to hear about the situation but THANK YOU for sharing that information. A family member is about to have their GT transported and I have sent them this link to hopefully prevent the same thing from happening.

Best of luck in getting this squared away with triple AAA etc...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Nobody wants a car damaged, I have a piece of property accross from a Manheim auto auction, and I actually watched a monkey drop a car off a trailer onto it's side. You don't want a guy that is moving rental cars to an auction lot handling your toys. They have no clue.

If a car needs to be covered in tansit, either a flanel car cover or a light plastic drop cloth is all you dare use.

No surprise that the dealer didn't know better, after all he spends his days selling Focus's, Galaxie's and F250's. The transporter should have the knowledge.

Not being a legal expert, I am sure you bought the car fob (freight on board) the dealer's lot. Means that all transport issues are between you and the hauler.

Clearly the folks that do nothing but move collector cars, Reliable, Horseless, Intercity, Concours, GoldRush, know what they are doing. When you see all these rigs at the concours such as, Meadowbrook, Ameila Island, Peeble Beach it is pretty impressive.

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
Kerry - These story just make me ill :frown . Take your time and hopefully the paint can be polished out.

bony - Someone is showing his age = "Galaxie's" :biggrin

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Don't use plastic covers. If moisture forms under the plastic sheet it will adhere to the paint and cause problems.

This is a reason that cars are worth more in some area's than others. The trouble of shipping or driving your car a long distance is a exposure some people dont want to risk, and so they will only look at cars local or within a small area. Ebaying to buy a car brings about a lot of different risk than a semi local purchase.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Very sorry to here of the problem. When you get it sorted out I would love to have a peak being as though were just about neighbors and blue is the only color I have yet seen. Good Luck!

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
Trying to work out the issues peacefully with the trucker, but getting some resistance. Got the car on a lift, seems like no suspension damage but found some significant grind marks on each rear wheel where he ran the tie downs through and the ratchets were rubbing on the rims in transit. This guy is a classic, claims he didnt cause the damage, it was the dealer. The dealer was smart enough to sign off on the car as perfect, before the trucker got his hands on it so at least now I have a witness if things get ugly.
Insurance companies are back to work tomorrow I hope I hear from an adjuster?????????

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
KERRY P said:
Trying to work out the issues peacefully with the trucker, but getting some resistance. Got the car on a lift, seems like no suspension damage but found some significant grind marks on each rear wheel where he ran the tie downs through and the ratchets were rubbing on the rims in transit. This guy is a classic, claims he didnt cause the damage, it was the dealer. The dealer was smart enough to sign off on the car as perfect, before the trucker got his hands on it so at least now I have a witness if things get ugly.
Insurance companies are back to work tomorrow I hope I hear from an adjuster?????????

keep us posted, glad to hear you had insurance while in transit.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Is the trucker an independent?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
PILOTJPW1 said:
Don't use plastic covers. If moisture forms under the plastic sheet it will adhere to the paint and cause problems.

This is a reason that cars are worth more in some area's than others. The trouble of shipping or driving your car a long distance is a exposure some people dont want to risk, and so they will only look at cars local or within a small area. Ebaying to buy a car brings about a lot of different risk than a semi local purchase.

agreed, plastic is not the ticket for storage, but won't hurt for a couple of days. Ideally you can specify to top load in the enclosed carrier, thus avoiding having the car above yours from leaking fluids.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
KERRY P said:

any news? hope it is working out for you.