Garage Floor Tiles

dikran

GT Owner
Aug 11, 2006
Birmingham, MI
Anyone have success with garage floor tiles? I want a cleaner look in my garage when my GT is dormant.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Anyone have success with garage floor tiles? I want a cleaner look in my garage when my GT is dormant.

I installed a Racedeck floor in my garage about a year ago and am pleased with it. The hardest part was picking my colors and pattern. Installation was very simple. The only drawback is the hollow sound when you walk on it but it's not that big a deal. It's pretty much indestructible in a home garage but hasn't stood up too well in the service department of my business. In all fairness, it's really not designed for commercial use even though they do promote it for that use.

The owner of the company is a fellow GT owner and is a member of this forum. He was offering a discount to forum members so look him up if you go that direction. He goes by "Racedeck"...imagine that.

Also, if you're into Harleys, Racedeck just came out with a new tile that is embossed with the Harley Bar and Shield emblem in several colors including black and orange.:biggrin

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I've got Racedeck in my 3 car garage. I installed about 500 sq. ft. of it. Took a little over an hour to lock the pieces (they come 2 by 2) together and then another hr. or two to cut some of the edge pieces to fit my floor perfectly. I've had it at least 3 years and it has held up nicely. "Texas GT" is correct about the hollow sound. It also does generate some static electricity, so if you are in a race shop setting with fuels, be careful. When I leave my garage doors open on a hot day the front edges will warp up temporarily due to heat getting on the plastic. Goes back down when the door is closed. One other thing is moisture retention under the tiles. I wash my garage out a few times a year and I'm sure some of the water gets under the tiles. Not sure if this is an issue or not. I'm about to move to a new home with a separate 6 car garage and I'm either gonna go with the Race Deck again vs. a thick industrial epoxy finish. My dad is going to reuse my Racedeck at his house, so when I uninstall it I'll see how much moisture is underneath.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I just recently installed VCT tile in my garage. It looks great, and shines real nice. The nice part is the tile is around an 1/8" thick, and is the same color all the way through, so if you scratch it, it's still the same color.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
<<"Texas GT" is correct about the hollow sound>>

I purchased some outdoor ("all weather") thin carpeting at Home Depot and laid it out prior to putting the racedeck on it in my garage. Putting this carpet underneath helped amazingly well to decrease the hollow sound when walking on the tiles

Quickdraw

pit crew chief
Dec 28, 2006
<<"Texas GT" is correct about the hollow sound>>

I purchased some outdoor ("all weather") thin carpeting at Home Depot and laid it out prior to putting the racedeck on it in my garage. Putting this carpet underneath helped amazingly well to decrease the hollow sound when walking on the tiles

Landscape fabric under the tiles should also do the trick...

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
I just recently installed VCT tile in my garage. It looks great, and shines real nice. The nice part is the tile is around an 1/8" thick, and is the same color all the way through, so if you scratch it, it's still the same color.

I was just checking these out, and another neat thing is that they can be custom cut to just about any design or logo you want. http://adcut.net/

Rocman,
Is there a specific vct tile/brand made for garage use?

Manny

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
About 6 years ago when I was at the PRI show & Jack Roush stopped in my booth and we were talking about flooring. He said that he had great success with this company at his shops. They are on Woodward (If your familiar with the dream cruise). I considered the time your allowed to have gas or brake fluid on the floor without hurting the finish.

I put it in my hot rod garage in 2000 and it looks like new. The weird thing is you lightly wet the floor with a mist from the hose then apply it is soaks into the concrete. I know its weird but it works.

click on: http://www.ucoatit.com/

Good luck I like the racedeck but I too am a wash down kind of guy.....just did it yesterday.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Here's what my floor looks like.

100_0226.JPG

100_0231.JPG

100_0232.JPG

100_0233.JPG

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
PremireGarage.com

I have a killer floor that was put down by Premire Garage. They did my garage cabnets as well. It's not tiles or epoxy but a speckled 3 color super hard coat of something and it's tough as nails. I have spilled oil, gas, and solvent/carb cleaner on it and everything wipes right up. It's a non skid finish and you need to see it to really appreciate how good it looks. It needs to go on bare concrete so they had to grind the epoxy that was already on my floor off and that took two days. Check out their website listed above. Here's a photo of my garage floor. Hell with the cars,everybody that sees my garage floor loves it.:thumbsup :biggrin :thumbsup

Chip

Attachments

• Shelby Trio 2.jpg
    Shelby Trio 2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 517

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
I have two air conditioned car slips under my home that I tiled with regular house tile. It looks like a shiny showroom floor. It is a marble look ceramic tile. You just have to make sure that the installers lay the tile right so they wont crack.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have two air conditioned car slips under my home that I tiled with regular house tile. It looks like a shiny showroom floor. It is a marble look ceramic tile. You just have to make sure that the installers lay the tile right so they wont crack.

same here, mine is 16 years old, stripped a once a year and polished every three months... me mucho happyo:lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have a killer floor that was put down by Premire Garage. They did my garage cabnets as well. It's not tiles or epoxy but a speckled 3 color super hard coat of something and it's tough as nails. I have spilled oil, gas, and solvent/carb cleaner on it and everything wipes right up. It's a non skid finish and you need to see it to really appreciate how good it looks. It needs to go on bare concrete so they had to grind the epoxy that was already on my floor off and that took two days. Check out their website listed above. Here's a photo of my garage floor. Hell with the cars,everybody that sees my garage floor loves it.:thumbsup :biggrin :thumbsup

Chip

If I every pull off my tiles, I am going your route...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hell with the cars,everybody that sees my garage floor loves it.:thumbsup :biggrin :thumbsup

Chip

Wow Chip, your floor looks amazing. I have a similar type floor, but I don't think it looks half as nice as yours.

And what a trilogy you have there in automobiles. Perfect combination of american muscle. Enjoy!!! :thumbsup

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
I did mine with quarry tile

I did my shop floor about 7 years ago with quarry tile.
It's the same stuff they have at the McLaren plant.

Quarry tile is unglazed so the color goes all the way through the tile.
I went with tile, because I weld, strip paint, paint, etc. etc. in the same space. Stripper and weld sparks will destroy painted floors. You can't scratch the finish either. The stuff is extremely durable. My son pulled the bead roller onto the floor and it didn't crack the tile.

My only advice - use the largest tile you can get. I used 6x6 and wish I had shopped longer and gotten 12x12 or larger. I laid about 1000 square feet of it. Bigger tiles make the job go a lot faster and it's easier to clean with less grout.

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I used porcellain tile 12"(porecellain has color through the tile versus ceramic). I used Epoxy grout (more exspensive but indestructable and doesn"t stain). Looks great. Look at photos I posted in my gallery.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I've got installers in my garage right now putting down the same stuff Chip has. I'll post pics when it's done. When I first got the GT I posted pics of it and my Viper in my garage and caught some flack for the disgusting space surrounding two gorgeous cars. Took me a year but I am rectifiing the situation.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I've got installers in my garage right now putting down the same stuff Chip has. I'll post pics when it's done. When I first got the GT I posted pics of it and my Viper in my garage and caught some flack for the disgusting space surrounding two gorgeous cars. Took me a year but I am rectifiing the situation.

I thin' you're bowing to "peer pressure", Sir!:lol :lol :lol

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I put in Racedeck tiles 3 1/2 years ago and they have worn well. I now would shy away from the black/white checkerboard as they both show dirt and grime off the cars a little too much.

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

What exactly are you using? Do you have a link where one can source local installer/distributor information?