running too hot

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
can anyone tell me any information regarding my car running hot? at 60 mph, the car runs about 230dg, and i can notice a power reduction which is not there for the first 7 min after starting and driving. I noticed that the muffler is blocking all the rear vents can anyone elaborate on this problem?

thank you

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
red gt 1442 said:
can anyone tell me any information regarding my car running hot? at 60 mph, the car runs about 230dg, and i can notice a power reduction which is not there for the first 7 min after starting and driving. I noticed that the muffler is blocking all the rear vents can anyone elaborate on this problem?

thank you

230 seems high. Maybe you have a sensor problem that prevents the A/C fan from powering up to reduce the temp after 210-220.
Try turning on the A/C (lowest setting should do it) and see if it brings the temp down. Generally the worst stop-and-go traffic under 100 degree weather should put you around 220 max, assuming your A/C is off. When it's on, the temp drops by a good 20 degrees or more. And as soon as you get some clear driving and good airflow, the temp drops down to the 190 range.

Check some of the other forum threads regarding engine temps.

2005gt

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
I did some tests on mine to see if I could get it to "run hot". I've had it out in 102 heat, with the air on, in traffic, and it would not overheat. I would not worry about the tempurare as long as it does not overheat (also, make sure the fan comes in of course).

Regarding losing power, this is probably the engine management system retarding the timing and/or fuel mixture. When the fuel reaches a high enough temperature on a really hot day (or, if you get a tank of gas that is of lower octane than usual), then you may notice a slight loss of power. This is done to protect the engine.

Mine had a little power loss on a real hot day here in the summer, which coincided with the first time I used Chevron gas (91 octant of course, but who knows how accurate of an octane you really get these days). Anyway, the car lost a little power (not much; just enough for me to notice when I hit it real hard). About 2 tanks later (a week), it was back to normal. The weather was back down in the 90s and I stopped using Chevron. I have no idea if Chevron gas had anything to do with it...I think it was really just because of the 102 heat making the fuel temp too high.

One important note: the fuel temp is not related to engine temp, so even if you're engine is running hot the fuel temp will probably still be under the threshold needed for the engine management system to kick in. I think it's only on rare occasions (like a very hot day) that the threshold would be met. And, if the threshold is met then it's not a problem because the system will "re-learn" and go back to normal as the conditions improve (lower fuel temp and/or better fuel).

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Hey, racer x and i are within a 100 cars of yours , he is in texas , i new york, neither has reach 220,email me private , i have over 50 guys none other than an early car has had these problems , make sure the sensor works , kick on the a/c, if you think its gonna boil crank up the heat on defrost, see if it really drops. what part of country ect plays a big roll. others are correct, great gas helps, humidity , ect. hope this helps gtjoey :thumbsup