Dan Gurney's GT

Guibo

Aug 17, 2005
"The Great Gift

That same evening, still jazzed about the track driving, I went to dinner at the Golden Truffle restaurant in Costa Mesa, California, along with my wife, Patty. We were guests at a last-minute birthday celebration for racing legend Dan Gurney, along with members of the Gurney family and friends. Restaurant owner/chef Alan Greeley, confirmed car and motorcycle enthusiast, told me he was Gurney's paperboy many years ago and never got over the thrill of it. Alan put together a delicious meal, and Dan's wife, Evi, pulled off one of the greatest surprises any of us had ever seen. Just before the meal was served, a bright red/white-stripe Ford GT pulled up in front of the eatery, complete with a large red bow on the roof. Evi had bought the car for Dan in honor of his birthday and we all got to witness his astonishment as Ford's public relations man John Clinard got out of the car and handed over the keys.

Making it all even more special was that an overhead bubble had been created in the driver's door, just like the one that had been done in the GT Mark IV that Dan drove to victory at Le Mans in 1967. That 'Gurney Bubble' had been done by Dan's longtime technical guy, Phil Remington, and it was great that he was on hand for the new one."
--Thos L. Bryant, Road & Track Editor-in-Chief, 7/2005

Gurney appeared last Saturday at the weekly Crystal Cove car show with his new ride. Props to Zoomy3 for the pictures:
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1440193b.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1440193a.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1440193c.jpg

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
cool. did he actually need it though?

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
fordification said:
cool. did he actually need it though?

I don't think so. I sat in a red GT today down at Tuttle Click Ford in the Ivine Auto Center, and being 6'3", thought it might be a tight fit for my big head, but I was really happy to find that the door is concave on the inside, in the area just above your head, and I have about an inch of head clearance. Dan Gurney is about 6'3", or at least he used to be, so I'm sure it was more of a nostalgic gesture to his LeMans days.

Sweet car. Crystal Cove w/my FGT, someday, someday......Poser heaven....:-D

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Vic said:
Crystal Cove w/my FGT...

Crystal Cove is crazy. Last time I was out there 2 Enzo's were parked as well as a 959 Porsche.

Heard a McLaren stops in there time to time as well. Crazy turnout for a get together that happens every week...

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Gurney Bubble Info?

I would love to get the contact info for the guy who did that bubble on Gurney's car. I am 6"3" and I had my seat redone so that I drop about 1" - 1.5" . I fit great now, but for club track days were I have to wear a helment, it will be tight.
I think it looks great on his car.
BTW: I have a few pictures I would like to upload but do not have a site to send it first? does anyone have an easy way?

Attachments

• 2013315FordGT013.jpg
    2013315FordGT013.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2013315FordGT012.jpg
    2013315FordGT012.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2013315FordGT010.jpg
    2013315FordGT010.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Ford GT  1.jpg
    Ford GT 1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Ford GT  2.JPG
    Ford GT 2.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Ford GT  3.JPG
    Ford GT 3.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Ford GT  4.JPG
    Ford GT 4.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 3

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Jorgen,
I'll gladly host em.
You can either email them to me at

dmbannister@mac.com

Or if they you want, let me know and I'll give you an FTP login to directly load them from your computer. I'm eventually going to set this up for all owners, but I've been very busy and haven't had a chance.

:cheers

Svt03Cobra

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2005
? TN
My Car!

Guibo said:
"The Great Gift

That same evening, still jazzed about the track driving, I went to dinner at the Golden Truffle restaurant in Costa Mesa, California, along with my wife, Patty. We were guests at a last-minute birthday celebration for racing legend Dan Gurney, along with members of the Gurney family and friends. Restaurant owner/chef Alan Greeley, confirmed car and motorcycle enthusiast, told me he was Gurney's paperboy many years ago and never got over the thrill of it. Alan put together a delicious meal, and Dan's wife, Evi, pulled off one of the greatest surprises any of us had ever seen. Just before the meal was served, a bright red/white-stripe Ford GT pulled up in front of the eatery, complete with a large red bow on the roof. Evi had bought the car for Dan in honor of his birthday and we all got to witness his astonishment as Ford's public relations man John Clinard got out of the car and handed over the keys.

Making it all even more special was that an overhead bubble had been created in the driver's door, just like the one that had been done in the GT Mark IV that Dan drove to victory at Le Mans in 1967. That 'Gurney Bubble' had been done by Dan's longtime technical guy, Phil Remington, and it was great that he was on hand for the new one."
--Thos L. Bryant, Road & Track Editor-in-Chief, 7/2005

Gurney appeared last Saturday at the weekly Crystal Cove car show with his new ride. Props to Zoomy3 for the pictures:
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1440193b.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1440193a.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/1440193c.jpg

Just like my old car! lol Sweet! :tongue

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I would be interested in a gurney bubble as well. at 6'1" and more weight than I want to admit to, every extra inch in important to me. I fit fine in the GT.
I tried to get into CAV's, Roaring 40's, and the new SUPERFORMANCE GT and will all the help in the world and even a little lube it wasn't going to happen.
That is why, when I saw the first yellow test GT at Concourso 3 years ago, and
fit in it, I made the committment to get one. No regrets :cheers

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
His is not the only GT with the bubble but certainly the one that has received the most attention. One of the first prototypes, located at Roush in the Detroit area has a bubble and other protoypes may very well have had the bubble. The prototype with the bubble has an extremely crude body that looks fine from 20-30 away. When you get closer you can easily see the rough/crude body constructions. No pictures available as it was in a restricted area.

Any body shop familiar with carbon fibre should be able to place a bubble on your roof. I am not sure if the bubble it self needs to be carbon fibre or if it can be made from other materials.

I would think, based on personal experience, that anyone 5'10" or taller needs a bubble or has to recline the seat more than they are used tro to sit in the car with a helmet.