interesting little problem, engine won't stop

werewolf

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2005
These cars really, really like to be driven, They want to be driven. In fact, mine won't let me shut it off.

Took the car to the dealer this morning. Oil change, fluid & pressure check, standard stuff. But it's also there for this little problem I've had for the past couple weeks. Turn the ignition off, remove the key ... but yet the engine keeps running!

No, I'm not hallucinating. Service manager observed it also.

How have I been shutting her down? Full brake, third gear, release the clutch and let her stall. Remove the key. Only problem with this technique is that the battery will drain completely ... overnight.

I quickly browsed the TSB's ... didn't see anything. I know there was TSB 05-5-12, relating to a battery drain from the climate control system. Doubt it's related.

I'll keep you guys posted ...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
One of my Astons did this - and it was roughly as follows (eek- I'm sooo not technical!)....

The alternator, which charges the battery as it runs, has a little resistor on it's line back to the ignition - it's a one way thing - when this failed on the Aston (it's a fifty cent resistor) the engine didn't actually know it had been turned off, so it ran on for a bit. The other associated issue with this failure was that the battery wasn't being charged properly either.

It's probably not your problem at all - but it was exactly the same net result on the Aston....

Doesn't having the ignition timing too advanced (or retarded) have the same result too?

Told you I wasn't a techy! Let us know how it works out.... N

werewolf

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2005
Problem found!

A wire harness was getting pinched by a fuel (tank?) strap, creating a short circuit that allowed the ignition & fuel systems to still get power when the key was turned off & removed.

Hopefully, all is well. I'll keep you guys posted.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
werewolf said:
Problem found!

A wire harness was getting pinched by a fuel (tank?) strap, creating a short circuit that allowed the ignition & fuel systems to still get power when the key was turned off & removed.

Hopefully, all is well. I'll keep you guys posted.

WOW... shorts caused by a pinched wire by the fuel tank...
Hmm sparks, fuel, fire.... GT up in smoke...

What ever happend to the driver????

werewolf

GT Owner
Oct 30, 2005
Problem fixed, car shuts off ... all is well :thumbsup

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
!q

werewolf said:
Problem fixed, car shuts off ... all is well :thumbsup
but it's a scary start of maniac film fantasy... charred owners, unite !

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
one of 101 said:
WOW... shorts caused by a pinched wire by the fuel tank...
Hmm sparks, fuel, fire.... GT up in smoke...

What ever happend to the driver????

....toast? :willy

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
bony said:
....toast? :willy

let's hope not... Rather tan in the sun !