Power Steering Pump

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
I'm changing oil this afternoon,pull the belly pans off and find that my power steering pump is leaking a little bit from the main seal.Has anyone else had this? The last few weeks I've had a noise from somewhere in the engine bay like something's loose.It was a stone rolling around on top of the rear pan.Time to button it up!
Guy

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
As you found out the belly pans can collect a large amount of debris. This is not unusual at all.

Dave

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Same minor leak as well

guywwagner said:
I'm changing oil this afternoon,pull the belly pans off and find that my power steering pump is leaking a little bit from the main seal.Has anyone else had this? The last few weeks I've had a noise from somewhere in the engine bay like something's loose.It was a stone rolling around on top of the rear pan.Time to button it up!
Guy

Yes I found the same leak today when I changed the oil. I tightened the bolts holding the assembly and one tighted up a little. I will have the dealer check it and replace it if it is still leaking when I take it in to have another oil leak repaired (axle half shaft on the driver side transaxle output flange I believe). I have 1,649 miles on the car. What number and year is your car?

Last edited:

futuregt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2005
Same here

I had Kendall (nota4re) do some work on my car. When he removed the belly pan, he noticed a leak from the power steering pump. '05 car #1350. He had heard of another car with the same issue. Maybe we should let Ford know there might be a problem??

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, when I did some work on futuregt's car, it had the same tell-tell evidence of a power steering leak. I looked around on the board here and found one dealer that had replaced 3 out of 5 cars they worked on.

Unfortunately, I doubt if it is simply a loose connection and you'll probably need to get them warrantied... and probably sooner than later.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Is there a way to spot this without removing the pans?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Is there a way to spot this without removing the pans?

Hmmmmm... you might be able to get to the pump by removing the center trim piece in the interior and then the access panel cover. The pans might be easier. Just a bunch of T27 Torx screws. If you don't have access to a lift, I would recommend backing the rear tires up onto some blocks to give you some access room and then go at it with a cordless drill w/T27 torx bit.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
PS pump replaced

At the 1,500 mi oil change the service tech noticed some drip off the pump.

When I went back for the oil change after the Detroit run (alos had the half shaft washers changed)- the PS main seal was leaking and they replaced the pump in total back in late September. The service tech and I thought it was a fluke and my typical and usual lucky streak..... :bored

Now it sounds like it might be a truly repeating incident..

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Why is it engineers always think it's a fluke?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Engineers been trained to think focused. Simply put Frank - if it's built as originally designed, it would never break (intention). Then the cost cutting come's into the picture, offshore suppliers and we end up with a Focus. :lol .

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
"Engineers been trained to think focused. Simply put Frank - if it's built as originally designed, it would never break (intention). Then the cost cutting come's into the picture, offshore suppliers and we end up with a Focus."

And a leaking power steering pump!

Don't care; I drove mine about thirty minutes ago, and I am still in love with this damn car!

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MAD IN NC said:
Engineers been trained to think focused. Simply put Frank - if it's built as originally designed, it would never break (intention). Then the cost cutting come's into the picture, offshore suppliers and we end up with a Focus. :lol .

get your spelling right Mike, is is "****-us" not Focus... :banana :bored :frown :confused :banana
incidently the loaner of choice for FRESNO MERCEDES BENZ :bs

****=phuck

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Always a joy reading these posts!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Mine leaked too, has been replaced (05 #1641)

JAM-GT

GT Owner
Sep 29, 2005
Power steering pump

Mine was replaced too, at 2000 miles. The tech that worked on my car said he had replaced about half of the pumps on the GT's he works on (Seattle metro area).

JAM