The real reason Ford is not addressing axle bolts

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Ford Motor Co said Monday it lost $5.8 BILLION in the third quarter...the loss is 20 times worse than a year ago.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Methinks the 0.02% of that 5.8 billion it would cost to replace every single axle bolt is not a concern. The huge losses incurred during the restructuring have zip to do with it...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Also $ 2,000,000,000 in North American car operations losses plus a decling market share. Even ignoring the restructuring costs they are losing more than they would like.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
barondw said:
Also $ 2,000,000,000 in North American car operations losses plus a decling market share. Even ignoring the restructuring costs they are losing more than they would like.

Indeed. I'd less fear the fact their market share is declining and more fear the fact there is literally no end in sight for Jaguar being the bloodsucking vampire that it is. You have to question when it's going to become profitable, if ever. I think they can fix some of the fundamental flaws in North America, but I'm not sure Jaguar is a patient that can ever be revived in it's current form...

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Ford ideas..

Guys,

I think they need to come up with more truely exciting cars. Can't live off the F truck series forever. I'd seriously consider to look in the Jaguar and Aston brands and simply copy the XJ and the DB 8/9 platform, do a slightly Americanized restyling (guess Camillo would get that job !) and go after the Lexuses and BMW's.. Might even be costattractive for the 'mother brands', as platform quantities would dramatically increase with cost benefits from scale.
That could make some pretty attractive cars, and most importantly here, rather quickly compared to from scratch.
In the meantime, get a grip in the midfield, and buy some hybrid knowledge...

Stefan

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ford can't get enough hybrid tech. Even though they do have agreements on the tech already, the japanese play favorites with the battery component supply and keep it for themselves. I think the whole hybrid thing will eventually calm down though, and they already have escapes and mariners languishing on dealer lots.

As for the exciting car notion, Ford gets is ass kicked by such tremendously exciting vehicles as the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and Nissan Sentra. Oooh :lol Imagine the girls you'll get in those bad boys. Seriously, I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those cars. It's more the perception that American cars are junk even though they are largely equal or in some respects better. Ask Carlos Ghosn how his quality control is going...

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Volume is king!

Ford and our stores are volume companies. We gave up on that in mid 90's and must get back to it. To have a good share will mean you sell products in the volume markets.
Sub compact price leader's and first time buyer products are keys to getting back on track. And then a steady focus on new exciting products, Euro cars PLEASE, They have the ability just need the logistics figured.
Civic's Scions and Kia must be targets for volume.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
As an amusing aside, I just rented a Shelby 350H while in Tampa. The windows now drop a smidge when the doors open, and then raise a smidge when they are closed a la XK8. The fit and finish of the Shelby was not near that of an XK8. Also, the turn signal indicator (buzzer, beeper, ?) now sounds like the metronome of the Jaguar. My worst nightmare would be an XK rebodied and rebadged as a GR-1.