GT Pricing Where will it go?

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
I am interested how others feel about the future pricing trend for the GT now that it is out of production. Logically it would make sense that as the remaining NEW GT's get sold there should be some upward movement in the closing prices that the Dealers will accept on the remaining new cars. More interesting though is where will the prices be after about one year from now?
Will low mileage end of year production cars see some price appreciation? Some have said that with 4000 cars having been built there will be plenty of cars available on the used market to meet demand therfore no real appreciation. Also, does anybody have an idea how many NEW GT's are still for sale on dealers lots??

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
quick time said:
I am interested how others feel about the future pricing trend for the GT now that it is out of production. Logically it would make sense that as the remaining NEW GT's get sold there should be some upward movement in the closing prices that the Dealers will accept on the remaining new cars. More interesting though is where will the prices be after about one year from now?
Will low mileage end of year production cars see some price appreciation? Some have said that with 4000 cars having been built there will be plenty of cars available on the used market to meet demand therfore no real appreciation. Also, does anybody have an idea how many NEW GT's are still for sale on dealers lots??

there are about 600 unsold cars.. you can spend the rest of the day reading about price speculation by searching old posts... good reading to say the least. :rofl

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
bony said:
there are about 600 unsold cars.. you can spend the rest of the day reading about price speculation by searching old posts... good reading to say the least. :rofl

If your 600 new cars unsold is an accurate number than it does not appear that there will be much chance for some price appreciation for quite awhile IMO.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
quick time said:
If your 600 new cars unsold is an accurate number than it does not appear that there will be much chance for some price appreciation for quite awhile IMO.
If all were sold and they made 4000+ cars your conclusion would be correct.
It will take 30 years to see if the GT will beat inflation. We bought it for the amazing car it is, not what it might be decades from now :wink

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
bony said:
It will take 30 years to see if the GT will beat inflation. We bought it for the amazing car it is, not what it might be decades from now :wink

Yes. You can rationalize all day long. The point of the matter is, how bad do you want one? Then all your research from this point on, will either spur you to get one, or spur you to move on.

I've got a strong financial background and background in the motor vehicle industry on various aspects.

And this is a significant purchase for me.

But I did not buy on speculation. Don't get me wrong, I will be as happy as anyone to see the value hold or increase.

But, there are many other ways to make money, ways in which safety and security of the principal is likely more predictable, as well as the anticipated increase. If your goal is to have a defined target of appreciation over a set time period, then the GT is probably not the solution for you.

But, I am already much happier than I even imagined I would be with my new GT ownership. Financial appreciation would just be a welcome bonus.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
bony said:

With few exceptions most cars are not good for investing. Too many varibles. Take the Porsche GT. They only made about 1200 for the world and only about half, 600, came to the US. Sticker price in 06 was about $445K.
Buyers paid over sticker for the first cars in 05 but my neighbor bought a brand new 06 in Feb 06 for $395. Cars were being heavily discounted obviously. Today with only a handfull of new cars left for sale it appears that the market is still headed down on low mileage late model (06) cars. Go figure. And this with only 600 US cars. The CGT just never took off like many thought it would. From all reports it is a fantastic car. Now with 4000+ Ford GT's out there it is hard to see how there will be any real appreciation. I agree just enjoy the car and let the price go where it will. However if we had bougt Ferrari 430's at MSRP it would be a different story.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
quick time said:
With few exceptions most cars are not good for investing. Too many varibles. Take the Porsche GT. They only made about 1200 for the world and only about half, 600, came to the US. Sticker price in 06 was about $445K.
Buyers paid over sticker for the first cars in 05 but my neighbor bought a brand new 06 in Feb 06 for $395. Cars were being heavily discounted obviously. Today with only a handfull of new cars left for sale it appears that the market is still headed down on low mileage late model (06) cars. Go figure. And this with only 600 US cars. The CGT just never took off like many thought it would. From all reports it is a fantastic car. Now with 4000+ Ford GT's out there it is hard to see how there will be any real appreciation. I agree just enjoy the car and let the price go where it will. However if we had bougt Ferrari 430's at MSRP it would be a different story.

why would a 430 be any different than a 360? when they make thousands of anything the price always crashes...

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
bony said:
why would a 430 be any different than a 360? when they make thousands of anything the price always crashes...

The 430 is not being over produced like the 360 was. ( 10,000 ). Since its introduction the 430 coupe has sold new and used for well over sticker price. Still does. The Spyder version does even better.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
quick time said:
The 430 is not being over produced like the 360 was. ( 10,000 ). Since its introduction the 430 coupe has sold new and used for well over sticker price. Still does. The Spyder version does even better.

sez who.... :bored all rear engine F cars except the limited edition GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo prices have gone upside down... 360F1 are going in nice but used condition for under $100k every day... when the new 560 (or whatever it will be called) stand back as the prices crash. If you want to speculate, buy one off oil paintings, seriously, or rare collector wines (not Kendall Jackson) but LePin, Petrus, Harlan, Screaming Eagle, Coligin etc...

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I would like to collect wine someday, but I don't drink. I may act drunk sometimes, but that's just natural. :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ROCMAN said:
I would like to collect wine someday, but I don't drink. I may act drunk sometimes, but that's just natural. :biggrin

Like every type of collecting better know exactly what you are doing, or you will be bent over and get hosed.

There is watch collecting, I know guys standing in line to buy a one of twenty run that of course you could never even wear once... but not one of thousands.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
bony said:
sez who.... :bored all rear engine F cars except the limited edition GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo prices have gone upside down... 360F1 are going in nice but used condition for under $100k every day... when the new 560 (or whatever it will be called) stand back as the prices crash. If you want to speculate, buy one off oil paintings, seriously, or rare collector wines (not Kendall Jackson) but LePin, Petrus, Harlan, Screaming Eagle, Coligin etc...

Sez who? You obviously do not know the current 430 market. As for the new Ferrari you referred to it is the 599 GTB fiorano and is being built in very limited quanities. First 3 years production has been allocated and if you placed an order now ( At about $300K) you might never see one. Many more buyers than cars. Crashing prices on this car? Not likely.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
quick time said:
Sez who? You obviously do not know the current 430 market. As for the new Ferrari you referred to it is the 599 GTB fiorano and is being built in very limited quanities. First 3 years production has been allocated and if you placed an order now ( At about $300K) you might never see one. Many more buyers than cars. Crashing prices on this car? Not likely.

Agreed! You've got to go to a 6 or 7 year old 360 to get to $100k, and that's still relatively hard to find. Not bad for a car that stickered in the mid 100's.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The 430 will crash just like the 360 did. It doesn't matter the quantity. The 430>360>355 will just be replaced by the next better V8 model...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
quick time said:
Wow... Have a hot chocolate it will help you with your dreams.

First I'm an Fcar colletor and a GT owner. 430 is a fine automobile and already scheduled for replacement by another rear engined car, whose nomenclature is not known at this time. As soon as it is annouced as always the price of the current model will crash.

I was not refering to the 599, which I can assure you I will more than see. :biggrin

Now if you would like to drone on about other recent F car values proceed onward

Last edited:

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
quick time said:

at the same time a Ford GT MSRPs for 160,000. Even if it depreciated down to 100K thats a 60K hit from MSRP. Now that porche you talk about had a "depreciation" of 50K brand new off of MSRP, which in turn will more than likely further depreciate after its been registered and if it is sold again it will be used therefore going for less still. my point is that EVEN if apreciation/depreciation is of concern, the dollar amount wont be as bad as some other exotics may be. Its almost the opposite of investments, a Good investment is one that gives you the highest percent return on your money, whereas the amount said investment makes is irrelavant, the concern is percentage return(you could make 50K in one investment, but if it took 2 million to make 50K then the percentage return wasnt as much, now if you made 100K out of a 50K investment in the same or about the same time frame, then that was a good investment.)
To get back to the car side of things, while 60K off a 160K MSRP is a considerable percentage, and 100K off of a 500K car may be a smaller percentage, the hit was less if you bought the Ford GT than if you would have bought a Carrera GT or what have you. In other words the fact that the GT's pricetag was a bargain as compared to some of the higher priced exotics, dollar amount depreciated may not be as bad in comparisson to the much higher priced automobiles. Now, I dont own one of these cars at this point in time(not by choice), but I would imagine the enjoyment factor out of the Ford GT would be as much, if not more than a higher priced car.

PS. cars shouldnt be investments, they should be tools to enjoy your self. other investments will make you more money if thats what you're after.

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
DBK said:
The 430 will crash just like the 360 did. It doesn't matter the quantity. The 430>360>355 will just be replaced by the next better V8 model...

Off topic-

Dave, I like your new photo signature!

On topic-

All my toys are depreciating. I am not upset in the least. Just enjoy them and don't look back.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
There are 295,734,134 people in the U.S.

Less than 4,000 will ever have the opportunity to own a Ford GT.

I do not think anyone needs more exclusivity than that.

- doc

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
eshrink said:

- doc
This statement is totally relevant and trumps everything else written above.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
eshrink said:

- doc

and every last one of them left the factory with a rear defuser :party :party :club :party :party