engine performance

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
1. Does anybody know where a smaller supercharger pulley can be purchased(the gt uses a 10 rib belt and the lightning uses a 7 or 8 rib)?

2. Why wait for the whipple kit? Why not just purchase a whipple 3300 supercharger for approx 2k, buy the correct length snout, and modify the intake manifold to receive the different pattern supercharger and save 5k. I know a tuner who has the gt engine software and can modify the existing maps

3. Has anybody thought about putting a twin turbo system on, similar to what some of the modified viper or corvettes have?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I tend to agree with you Centerpunch.. why would you want to modify such a highly desirable car? One that has had the very best Ford engineers working on to design the engine and output...

Whilst you may never want to sell the car, I can't but help feel that you would seriously devalue it by bolting on after market toys and quite possibly voiding the warranty.

The majority of supercar owners here in the UK would try to keep their cars original - you don't see too many Zonda, Aston or Ferrari owners whipping out bits of their engine and putting in new software (from a mate that has some engine software) or bolting on different bits.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
californiacuda said:
1. Does anybody know where a smaller supercharger pulley can be purchased(the gt uses a 10 rib belt and the lightning uses a 7 or 8 rib)?

2. Why wait for the whipple kit? Why not just purchase a whipple 3300 supercharger for approx 2k, buy the correct length snout, and modify the intake manifold to receive the different pattern supercharger and save 5k. I know a tuner who has the gt engine software and can modify the existing maps

3. Has anybody thought about putting a twin turbo system on, similar to what some of the modified viper or corvettes have?

And will you guarantee that the after market stuff wouldn't ruin the $ 27,000 engine and pay for its replacement after the warranty is vodied?

Maybe that's the reason along with the whipple and hennessey claims are grossly overstated.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Well excuse me ladies, with cars like the koenigsegg putting out 800 bhp with a hopped up modular built ford engine, I thought it might be fun to add some moreor hp to this wonderful ford supercar. I thought one of the reasons to be an enthusiast is to enjoy these cars in a variety of different ways. So if I upset your delicate sensiblities by considering modifying the car I guess I am just too crazy for some uptight owners.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Uptight owner and others...

Calicuda,

Don't feel all alone with your thoughts on destroying a GT.

I'm right now looking in to the possibilities of making a twin turbo kit for my GT.

Ford Performance are soon to release their full lenght headers and that will make it quite easy to make a "twin mill" setup.

My biggest concern is the heat issue, don't want to melt my nice GT now do I...:)

Option 2 will be the 3.3 Wipple which will be a far easier project...

Buttom line is, that I have a desire to make my GT even more awesome in terms of performance.

Some people buy a GT a store it away in some basement like a fine wine, just to show it off for friends and in the same way are they hoping to make big bucks selling the car in 20-30 years time.

Some people buy a GT a drive it the way built, and have no desire to modify it other than the billet caps and floor mats, because they feel its a shame to modify such a rare car.

Some people buy a GT a in their love for cars, they would like to make this extreme car even more extreme... simply due to their passion for cars, rather that attempting to ruin a destroy a fine Ford.

Shouldn't there been room enough for all of us???

As long as nobody is putting a bloody Viper engine in their GT :ack

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Tanks for your thoughts. It seems as you said that there should be room for many different ways of enjoying this wondedrful car that ford has built for us

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I don't think anyone is being 'uptight', just advising caution - which I think is the point of the Forum when you post suggesting you'd like some opinions on your proposed modifications.

Why not buy the Koenigsegg as well as the GT and see which you prefer? Having driven both, I prefer the GT, you may feel differently.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Niel,

WOW... you've driven the Koenigsegg??
Isn't that car just MEGA fast, or is it close to our GT??

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Just to be accurate, when I originally posted my question about some engine mods, I wasn't asking for opinions about doing the changes, I was asking if anybody knew some sources for the engine changes

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My apologies in that case - I had thought from your posting that you were inviting comments on your proposed modifications. Most postings invite comments - it's par for the course.

101, I was considering the Zonda or Koenigsegg in exchange (plus some extra cash of course) for the Murcielago. I have not run in my GT yet, however it feels that the GT is a better car than the Koenigsegg. Better in that it's more 'true' somehow. It's a bit hard to describe. The GT is closer to say an Elise, but an Elise that has been playing with performance enhancing narcotics! The Koenigsegg is a 'lump' in comparison - a hugely powerful lump, but it doesn't feel (in my opinion) to be as poised on the road. It's (the K)also unreliable according to some background checking that I did. The Koenigsegg is amazingly engineered (the Zonda even more so), but the more cars I have owned, the more I like to keep it simple. The GT is an instant classic - on several levels, I somehow doubt that others mentioned will be. A bit like the XJ220 if you follow my logic.

Whilst the GT is not as powerful as the Zonda, Koenigsegg (or indeed some other marques out there), it has a DNA, combined with a presence that is, frankly, unbeatable. It feels fast enough too - to be honest once you're in the 550/600bhp territory, (and 500ft lbs of torque), you don't need too much more...!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Well said Neil. I have also driven a variety of "supercars" and the GT is probably more refined and usable than most Lambos and Ferraris.

It also can be serviced at any Ford dealer (USA) which was one of the major goals of John Coletti and group when the car was announced.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I hear you, Neil ! Try the Challenge stradale, with some setup mods - in line what Baron is recommending for the Gt, and you will find a car that does feel so true, you think it's naked on the road. I love the Gt aswell, but the Stradale remains my favorite. Actually I prefer it even over the Enzo. The power of the GT feels nice, love your comparison elise on narcotics, but you feel it's a bit blown, like a souped up Subaru in power development. I guess that's the charger vs more refined natural aspired power curves. But what are we comparing here, e.g Tyra Banks vs Naomi Campbell ..!? They all are very pretty ... good to have close to you! :banana

Neilda said:
101, I was considering the Zonda or Koenigsegg in exchange (plus some extra cash of course) for the Murcielago. I have not run in my GT yet, however it feels that the GT is a better car than the Koenigsegg. Better in that it's more 'true' somehow. It's a bit hard to describe. The GT is closer to say an Elise, but an Elise that has been playing with performance enhancing narcotics! The Koenigsegg is a 'lump' in comparison - a hugely powerful lump, but it doesn't feel (in my opinion) to be as poised on the road. It's (the K)also unreliable according to some background checking that I did. The Koenigsegg is amazingly engineered (the Zonda even more so), but the more cars I have owned, the more I like to keep it simple. The GT is an instant classic - on several levels, I somehow doubt that others mentioned will be. A bit like the XJ220 if you follow my logic.

Whilst the GT is not as powerful as the Zonda, Koenigsegg (or indeed some other marques out there), it has a DNA, combined with a presence that is, frankly, unbeatable. It feels fast enough too - to be honest once you're in the 550/600bhp territory, (and 500ft lbs of torque), you don't need too much more...!

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
The power of the GT feels nice, love your comparison elise on narcotics, but you feel it's a bit blown, like a souped up Subaru in power development

:lol

Tyra Banks vs Naomi Campbell ..!? They all are very pretty ... good to have close to you

Well, Naomi is a coked up biatch who has been with that Flavio Briatore... But I'll take Tyra for a spin anytime...

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
1 0f 101 & the others..: - Who from the attached you would want to rather drive in the GT with.... ? :willy

PS: I guess you don't want to have Naomi then... ?

Attachments

• bernie1.JPG
    bernie1.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 88
  • powerlaux1.JPG
    powerlaux1.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 81
  • flav1.JPG
    flav1.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 78
  • ed.1.jpg
    ed.1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 69
  • todt1JPG.jpg
    todt1JPG.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Anyone drive the F430?
Mags are giving it a slight edge over the GT, and not much more $$.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
FGT4me said:
Anyone drive the F430?
Mags are giving it a slight edge over the GT, and not much more $$.
I did try it and on the track in Italy, and I (agree to )think it is overrated.... if you are a seasoned driver you won't need the e'diff , unless you are on freshly fallen fall leaves, unforeseen.. I have it coming next spring (as spider/cruiser), but my Stradale Buddies that got it earlier all sold it off after few weeks (to Arabia...) ... it is a rather sad story of reheat for Ferrari (who I generally worship a lot, being a multiple owner) of the Modena evolution success. All boyz in the know in europe say the 360 stradale is as good as it gets (except for a bit more bhp), but I admit I haven't tried the exceptionally ugly Fxx yet..(big marketing balloo anyhow, re the price I rather buy a Zonda..) :bored

Interesting that on the Ferrari owner site they just started to ask owners for judgment on the new concepts... i think, smart marketing - In case you guys want to see few proposals, I am happy to forward such request to someone who will happily disclose that (prvte email request to me first though, pls).. some look really massively cool ! :biggrin

Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
SLF360 said:
1 0f 101 & the others..: - Who from the attached you would want to rather drive in the GT with.... ? :willy

I'll take Bernie.. he'll pay for the petrol...:)

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
SLF360 said:

Anyone of Flavio's ex-girfriends or Jean Todt's current girlfirend fiance.

Dave

96GTS

Nov 9, 2005
Fords, NJ
one of 101 said:
As long as nobody is putting a bloody Viper engine in their GT :ack

:skep This could work? lol anyway...

I've never driven, but I've seen or been in vipers and Ferrari's. Comparing them is hard to do since they all have diffrent atitudes. Vipers are wild, they need to be learned how to be driven since the car has alot of power and tends to whip out on you if your not so sure how to control it. These days the viper/vette battle has been reduced to looks and power.

Now the Ford GT is very unique. After being briefed and shown all the in's and out's yesterday, I would have to say I want a GT over Ferrari now. Yes I like the 360 with tubi's, but the GT's interior is so much better. I wasn't so crazy about the interior of the 360CS. I like the 360 and wouldn't mind having one.

If I wanted to mod a GT I better have two. I'm just picky like that, then again having two is even better right? :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
welcome!
2 is good, 3 is more goodo :banana
nice pics :biggrin