Can Someone Explain "Why This Car Has Not Been Made"

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I know there is a section on the Shelby GR-1, but it gets very little comment these days. I was looking for some images of the Shelby GR-1 this AM and found these which to me are absolutely stunning. I saw this auto at the January 2005 LA Auto Show along with the 2005 Red Ford GT. I was truly amazed at the shape, agressiveness, lines, front engine, advanced technology and styling of this automobile. Yet it has never been produced? Why ? It would be a killer in sales ! What is the reason it has not been manufactured ?

Can anyone explain it to me? Ferrari comes out with all kinds of models over the years, yet when a sports car this gorgeous is made as a prototype and not built, it makes no sense. :thumbsdow

I would order 2 if available. One for driving on Monday - Thursday, and the other for Friday - Sunday. It is simply beautiful and to my knowledge a plausible explanation for why it has not been built eludes us all. SVT should be on top and all over this and this sports car needs to be produced. I can't imagine anyone who would not be blown away seeing this coming down the street or passing you on the freeway.

Please build this Shelby GR-1 :thumbsup Sign me up for two ! :thumbsup

shelbygr-18.jpg
shelbygr-16.jpg

shelbygr-17.jpg
shelbygr-15.jpg

shelbygr-14.jpg
shelbygr-13.jpg

shelbygr-12.jpg
shelbygr-11.jpg

Last edited:
H

HHGT

A real beauty - I have to agree. It embodies American Muscle without saying a word. When I first saw the car, I said; thank god they re-made the Daytona Coupe except with AC. Build it and they will come...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
+2

Unbelievable car. Maybe if they can keep things turned around it could happen.

:usa

H

HHGT

BTW, those are some beautiful wheels. Will they fit the GT?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gr-1

What is the reason it has not been manufactured ?

Atomic,

During the early days of this Forum we wore this topic out. A low volume, low (or no) profit, supercar halo vehicle is not something that a car maker takes on when they are fighting for their very survival. All available resources were deployed in arenas that had the best prospects for a solid return. The GR-1 was with us at Rallies 1 & 3 and it is a beautiful car. I lust after one just as you do. But it's most likely never going to happen. You don't paint the house when it's still on fire. Here's a few photos of it with my yellow GT at the Las Vegas Rally. It felt good in the drivers seat! :thumbsup

Chip

Attachments

• GR-1 1.jpg
    GR-1 1.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 247
  • GR-1 2.jpg
    GR-1 2.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 252
  • GR-1 3.jpg
    GR-1 3.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 243
  • GR-1 4.jpg
    GR-1 4.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 243

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
oh ya

I like this one too
The proto type Cobra

Attachments

• cobra1.jpg
    cobra1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 221

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Time for someone to make a knockoff of it.....

Richard Hille
The GT School

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Atomic,

During the early days of this Forum we wore this topic out. A low volume, low (or no) profit, supercar halo vehicle is not something that a car maker takes on when they are fighting for their very survival. All available resources were deployed in arenas that had the best prospects for a solid return. The GR-1 was with us at Rallies 1 & 3 and it is a beautiful car. I lust after one just as you do. But it's most likely never going to happen. You don't paint the house when it's still on fire. Here's a few photos of it with my yellow GT at the Las Vegas Rally. It felt good in the drivers seat! :thumbsup

Chip

Excellent photos Chip, things are looking up for FoMoCO these days, maybe a little to premature on the outlook, but when you have the President coming to a Ford production plant and taking credit for Ford's success when Ford did not take any TARP funds, Ford's future is at least going in the right direction. God Bless Alan Mually! So far I see me in for 2 cars, you in for 1-2 cars, HHGT at least one, we are starting a snowball effect? I have to have at least one of these automobiles. Just accepeting it won't be built is not acceptable. Who makes these decisions? Ford creates, arguably, the most awesome looking front engine sports car in the last 20 years from any car manufacturer, and then they don't build it ? Where is the logic in this idea and approach ? Would be interesting to hear from Jamal or SVT about the reasons it was never built. It smokes any Ferrari I have ever seen, except perhaps a 1962 250 GTO, but they don't make that anymore. There is no way this GR-1 can be destined to be left to images on a computer screen. Maybe DBK knows the reasons five years ago, but things are changing, FoMoCo needs a 2nd Pace Car !

Where do I put my order in for two cars?

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Evolving safety standards would make it much more difficult to build the GR-1 now. Isn't that one of the reasons for the demise of the FGT? Side air bags and all that stuff?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Good point, but not insurmountable. Ferrari does it with evey new design they make. Technology advances as design demands become reality. I am always optimistic, this car has to be built.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
the 600 horsepower V-10 motor was high compression and could only run 100+ octane race gas. the compression ratio would have to drop and the car would need front and rear bumpers. with the new crash test standards i believe that the cars belt line would have to be raised and the windshield pillars would have to be modified. other than that i think it would pass. the new fuel standards mean that this motor would more than likely be changed to a V-8 and would make 500 Horsepower at the most......

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
All doable in this day and age. After market Superchargers do wonderful things.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Money. That's it. End of story.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Well, we can come up with some money, Ralphie has millions he could donate, I'll put in some, HHGT, Chip, we can get this train moving.

Can't see this auto be cast into virtual imaging forever.

Where is Henry Ford II? Is he still around?

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HHGT

Well, we can come up with some money, Ralphie has millions he could donate, I'll put in some, HHGT, Chip, we can get this train moving.

Can't see this auto be cast into virtual imaging forever.

Where is Henry Ford II? Is he still around?

Okay, I'm in as long as George aka Midnite Blu matches my funds

FordGT4fun

really stunning this proto, te back looks like an US car in the 1960 don´t know if it was also a proto but i think its called cheetah or something like that. maybe you know the car what a mean .
Regards
Pierre