Side Stripes....

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I'm not a big fan of the side stripes! I think they make the car look like an expensive Mustang, so I'm thinking about taking them off. I just don't want to devalue the car or make it less marketable when I decide to sell it. Am I the only one that hates them? Has any one removed them? Was it fairly easy?

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Use a heat gun and they come right off. I like the look of just the "FORD GT'

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
californiacuda said:
I like the look of just the "FORD GT'

I was thinking the same thing! Glad I'm not alone!

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I wanted to pull them off too. We share the same "big Mustang" sentiment.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Side Stripes

Stripes - either you like them or you don't.

First post mentioned $$$. Buy a set of replacements now, for re-installation later, to keep your "originallity" as per build sheet. Or let the next owner put them back on.

In my case there will be no "next owner". Well that's not quite true - one of my family will inherit the GT. Part of the Family Jewels. :biggrin. Tough choice as to which of my three will get it.

Or if the fortunes of life improve enough - maybe they'll each inherit one. Then they could argue over who got what color. I guess I'd better sell the farm and get one of each color so my kid's would have the car of their choice.

My God do I hate estate planning. :bang

And then throw a GTX-1 into the fray to make it much more interesting. :devil

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Better depart in 2010, after that we don't know about estate taxes.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The stripes are part of the history of the GT.

In 1964, before Team Shelby joined the fray (and actually well after he joined) the GT40 had the side stripes highlighting only the word: FORD

The car had not as yet won any races and was not to do so for almost two years.

Mustang later borrowed liberally from that legacy, including the stripes.

To say that a GT looks like a Mustang, therefore, is much akin to saying that a father was born to resemble his son.

For a concise understanding of the GT40s engine, cooling, aerodynamic and transmission history...and, yes, the stripes....see this weeks "Behind the Headlights" on SpeedTV.

That said, it is certainly the choice of the individual owner as to what stays and what is removed.

I met a fellow here in Atlanta back in 1989 who had an L89 427/435 tripower Corvette roadster. He felt that the car had too much torque. He sleeved the cylinders, used some aftermarket pistons (etc) and reduced displacement and compression ratio. He changed to a hydraulic lifter cam and replaced the tripower with a single Carter AFB.

He liked how the car then ran. It was his car; his choice.

He gave away the old parts.

- doc

Demolition Man

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 29, 2006
danville, CA
side stripes

I like the look without the stripes as well. I plan on putting my car on the track, so I want to put on the factory meatballs. Has anyone had any luck with putting these on?

Rick

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Demolition Man said:
I like the look without the stripes as well. I plan on putting my car on the track, so I want to put on the factory meatballs. Has anyone had any luck with putting these on?

Look at my sad thread on applying the vinyl numbers :lol

RE the stripes: I love those side stripes because they look so "Ford Racing" to me & I was a big Mustang fan as a kid. I don't think there's any confusing the GT for a Mustang (altho I've always felt that the Vette came too close to the Camaro in the 80's). I bought the Heritage because I've always loved the blue/orange GT40 & Porsche 917. I've thought about *adding* the sidestripes to my Heritage & I think it makes the car look lower & longer. Now if I can only learn to apply these graphics without getting bubbles . . .