Question About Need For Belly Pans

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Just a thought and question for those of you more knowledgeable.

I understand that the belly pans are part of the aerodynamics for super high speed driving. But, on a daily basis, could they be left off? I’m not too worried about lift / down force going down the freeway and the neighborhood street.

My thought is that it may allow more air flow for cooling. In addition, if they were left off, future oil changes and general access would be much easier since the pans would not be in the way - make it an easier do it yourself job. Naturally, if need be, they could be put back on if I ever feel the need for crazy speed and stability.

Probably same question about the diffusers. Rather than worrying about hitting them on something, off until needed?

Any thoughts? For those of you that have had them off, could they be left off without other underneath problems (hanging panels, etc).

Appreciate any ideas.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think you are right. The question is what is at what speeds do the belly pans make significant difference? All of us that are law abiding citizens that always obey the speed limits and never go over 70 mph would never need the belly pans and would actually get higher performance and gas mileage without them! 0-70 mph will be a little quicker from losing the weight of the pans and diffuser.

BlackICE

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Maybe you can remove the Rear bumper and the headlights too, less stuff to maintenance on the car. "Liability" might be a concern if you start removing parts that were designed by the factory for a reason. Have a accident and someone, probably opposing Counsel can question the wisdom of removing aerodynamic parts that may have led to the Wreck. I don't know who you plan on having do your Oil changes but I would recommend a Certified GT Tech at a authorized Ford dealer only, JMHO.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I guess if you never go over 50/60 mph you could remove them and be safe(?) But at some speed they become an integral part to the handling, performance, and safety of the car. So I guess I'm in agreement with FordGT001 on this subject.

I wouldn't remove them and drive the car on a regular basis and any normal highway speed.

Dave

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I was at a track and we were in a hurry after having the car tied down in a trailer. The rear diffuser was taken off to put the straps through the rear a- arms. At 170mph the front end felt light, other than that the stability seemed ok.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
californiacuda said:
At 170mph the front end felt light, other than that the stability seemed ok.

that's what happens at 170 mph... As long as you don't take off, you'll be fine !

Glad to finally see one who does drive the thing as it was supposedly designed.

.. doing over 19?- mph on the way to Jacksonville, I tell you, the car is freaking stable at high speed.. like nothing I've driven before...

stefan

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
In the SAE paper that Ford did on the aero for the Gt, They said that as the rake increases the downforce on the nose increases. I think I'm going to drop the nose and inch to an inch and a half and see if that helps the nose stay planted better.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Kind of my point.

You guys are talking about the handling at 150 - 200 mph.

My understanding is that yes, at those speeds, they do help with stability and serve a purpose as found in the tunnel tests.

But what about under 100 where 99+ percent of the driving takes place? The daily driving.

In the development video (I think this is where I saw it) they talk about the lightness "at speed". Speed, I doubt, was 70. We all know that the GT is more stable than the GT-40 at 200 mph, and I'll bet that is what they were referring to as speed.

I have not been underneath to look at the pan, but I have never seen one where the pan was an integral part of construction and overall rigidness. Isn't it just a screw on pan?

My point is unless I plan at going supersonic, is there a need for air diversion, baffeling, and sealing? I seriously doubt the car is going to leave the ground or get light at 100.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dr. Robert Harms had the same questions a few weeks ago. He may know something if he's done it.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I regard the pan (apart from being a design element) as a sacraficial area - when having little scrapes underneath (my driveway is a long dirt road) that it's better the plastic gets scratched rather than any precious metals underneath....