Why did Ford stop building Ford GTs?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The new pedestrian crash regulations in Europe also killed any exports there.

And you can thank those rules for this Taurus/Catfish schnoz on an otherwise gorgeous car:

04auto1.600.jpg

BOOOOOOO!

M

Mark O

So did they really make a profit on each GT?

The price of the stripes & MacIntosh together is damn nice profit.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
It's a pretty interesting thread guys.. So without the knowledge and the chance of sounding, ...... stupid is as stupid does..... would it be fair to say that the dealers (combined) might of made more money in profits off of the GTs then Ford did?

I agree in an earlier post about the work drive of our youngest generation.... Majority.. yes... but as Steve stated.... they're out there.... but hard to find... Kuddos for you steve for having 100 that have great work ethics...

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
The U.S Government...saving us... one person of below average height, above average income, and below average intelligence at a time. :bored

Lame.
Hey... watch it Dave! :wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It's a pretty interesting thread guys.. So without the knowledge and the chance of sounding, ...... stupid is as stupid does..... would it be fair to say that the dealers (combined) might of made more money in profits off of the GTs then Ford did?

I agree in an earlier post about the work drive of our youngest generation.... Majority.. yes... but as Steve stated.... they're out there.... but hard to find... Kuddos for you steve for having 100 that have great work ethics...

The dealers made more money than Ford on the GTs. Ford could have invoiced the GTs higher and captured more of the profits, or one can view that the GT were giving out as bonuses to high performing dealerships.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Personally? I doubt Ford made money off of it. The car cost almost $200 million just to develop. Add in all the costs of production, facilities, advertising, transport, the original control arm recall, staff and on and on and on and I doubt they made anything. Not to mention the opportunity cost of developing a low-volume, high-price sports car with their current ills.

It was a break even project. They stick to the claim that it did. I doubt it will be true in the long run.

That said, you can't buy the kind of press the car received, so the build-up in brand equity alone was worth it...

p.s, Manny, we all know you're of much greater than average intelligence :biggrin I won't even get into what an avocado is worth these days.

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Personally? I doubt Ford made money off of it. The car cost almost $200 million just to develop. Add in all the costs of production, facilities, advertising, transport, the original control arm recall, staff and on and on and on and I doubt they made anything. Not to mention the opportunity cost of developing a low-volume, high-price sports car with their current ills.

It was a break even project. They stick to the claim that it did. I doubt it will be true in the long run.

That said, you can't buy the kind of press the car received, so the build-up in brand equity alone was worth it...

p.s, Manny, we all know you're of much greater than average intelligence :biggrin I won't even get into what an avocado is worth these days.
Well said..!!!

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
They built too many as it stands.:biggrin I know resale is not that important for many of us, but could you imagine how much we would have lost in value if they were still making them?:willy

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Like they say, you don't lose anything until you sell it. So technically for alot of us, that day will NEVER come :biggrin

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
And the more mileage you put on, the cheaper your CPU/CPM (cost per use/cost per mile).

Not to mention the fun and enjoyment and camaraderie, which is priceless.

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I'm happy

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Like they say, you don't lose anything until you sell it. So technically for alot of us, that day will NEVER come :biggrin

RIGHT ON! :cheers

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
RIGHT ON! :cheers

nighty night DBK

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
The U.S Government...saving us... one person of below average height, above average income, and below average intelligence at a time. :bored

Lame.

Perhaps they'll retract the standards in a few years to kill off the baby-boomers, raise the inheretence tax and collect to cover Social Security?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Just curious...

It's gotten so bad that "Superman" suits now have labels that declare the wearing of the suit does NOT enable the wearer to fly. (WOW! Really??? I'm SO glad they told me!:frown )

Exactly how many Superman suits do you own?

Chip

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Pockets lost his power when they removed the last phone booth.:lol It was worse than the time someone laced his Wheaties with kryptonite:willy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
nighty night DBK

see Little Timmy is keeping you up?:lol

doogie48084

Mar 21, 2007
Taylor Michigan
DBK,
OK, Am I alone in wondering what the avacado statement was all about?

:confused

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Exactly how many Superman suits do you own?

Chip

Three ackshully. The one I have on now... the one in the wash ...and the one in the closet incase I wanna be in two places at once.

Why do you ask?:shrug

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:bang
Pockets lost his power when they removed the last phone booth.:lol It was worse than the time someone laced his Wheaties with kryptonite:willy

Those are a bald faced lies, Sir! :mad

You have to stay off "Moveon.org" and the rest of those "Looney Left" websites. :bang

Last edited: