Two things I would like to change on my GT

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
After 6 months of driving the finest machine I have ever been in, I have determined that a couple of things need changing to meet my deficiencies. Every time I fuel up at a station, I forget to take the keys with me to open the fuel lid. Has anyone installed a manual or electric fuel lid opener? And second, is there a quick fix for not having to have the clutch pedal pressed to the floor to start the engine? I know this is probably a safety issue, but would like to be able to start the car from outside of it.

PS. I'm spending too much time watching Bony's avatar.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Most alarm installers could bypass the clutch start. I would not recommend it at all though. Leave it in gear, or have someone in your car dry shift it into gear without you knowing, and you will be sorry. Not only can you damage the car, but you could also hit someone standing in front of the car.

As far as the fuel door, you would have to install a solenoid of some sort to open it since it is a manuel opening door. It could be done, but most likely not worth it.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Start

Good advice not to by-pass the clutch safety. I saw a mint, mint, mint, all original, low mileage, best of show quality, 930 Porsche rammed straight into the pointy end of a trailer by an unfamiliar driver. Car was left in gear, guy started it a foot from the trailer, in gear - wham!! Much wailing and gnashing of teeth!! And an immediate $5k off the value of the car - even after it was fixed. Lesson learned.

G.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
I aggree, if it was up to me I would choose cruise control and back up warning like SUV's have. kids and bikes and get jammed in the diffuser. Doors that flip up might be nice so I don't get trapped out of my car cause soem guy wants to park next to a GT when there are 1000's of empty spaces

My wife dis buy me a rear camera kit that goes on the licence plate frame with a scree for the visor. Still looking at that if I should install it or take it back

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
My wife dis buy me a rear camera kit that goes on the licence plate frame with a scree for the visor. Still looking at that if I should install it or take it back

ME TOO. Let us us know what you decide. I'm not ready to cut into my rear light wires. Oh, and a targa top option would be way too cool.:wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Note the stock mirror has the interior lights. lose it, lose the lights!

BlackICE

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Note the stock mirror has the interior lights. lose it, lose the lights!

BlackICE

Mount the camera in the license plate frame. Ditch the factory head unit and put a pop out screen with a new head unit.

I did that in my lotus .... works awesome. I have better field of vision out the front and out the back. Plus the camera has night vision capabilities like on a cam-corder so I can see things out the back. head lights are a b*tch but I switch it back to "day" mode for that.

for me the seats could be better .... but I have always thougth that bms sport seats are the best for road use there is. I have long legs and the leg bolster is awesome ... totally personal preference.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Head units with popup screens don't clear the start button and power jack. You can do it with a small 1 Din head unit with a screen or modify the center console that holds the buttons and head unit.

BlackICE

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
I'd change the cheesy door panel, that is about to fall off.:frown And i'd change the brake calipers, to yellow, with a big ford gt letters on them. I can't understand how they just put ordinary looking brake calipers on the "pace car for an entire company".

But everything else if great.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Did my mention the keys to the ford gt. Its the same one that I have for my explorer.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
See my post for navigation with rear view camera install.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3753&highlight=navigation

I'm almost all done with my mods... well I said almost because I really would love to have a T top - can someone work on chopping of the top portion of the doors and turn them into T-top panels. This way the cost will be much lower than the GTX-1 and preserves the structural integrity of the car without adding much weight.

M

Mark O

My wife says the only thing screwy with my GT is the nut that holds the wheel.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I'm almost all done with my mods... well I said almost because I really would love to have a T top - can someone work on chopping of the top portion of the doors and turn them into T-top panels. This way the cost will be much lower than the GTX-1 and preserves the structural integrity of the car without adding much weight.

Great idea Bruce. Get any feedback with whether it can be done cost effectively, and work well? Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult, but I know little about custom body work...

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I love everything about the car but would only change one thing - the polished door sills. I made the mistake of taking the protective covering off of them when I got the car - now every scratch makes me cringe!

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
I love everything about the car but would only change one thing - the polished door sills. I made the mistake of taking the protective covering off of them when I got the car - now every scratch makes me cringe!

Agree. I haven't take the protective covering off, but it's wearing. Anyone know if and where the blueish protective covering on the door sills can be purchased?

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Agree. I haven't take the protective covering off, but it's wearing. Anyone know if and where the blueish protective covering on the door sills can be purchased?

Why not just put a polyurethane strip on it?

edit: aka "clear bra" type material

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Mount the camera in the license plate frame. Ditch the factory head unit and put a pop out screen with a new head unit.

Did my mention the keys to the ford gt. Its the same one that I have for my explorer.

well?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

I had some VentureShield placed on it, after removing the blue covering.

You can get 3M or VentureShield, clear, and looks better than blue covering and probably will last much longer and better protect.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Why not just put a polyurethane strip on it?

edit: aka "clear bra" type material

This is why I hang on the forum - why didn't I think of that? Where can you get the covering?

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I have my CNC shop working on a billet key.

Once I am happy with it I will post to get opinions.

My cost should be about 10 bucks a piece plus cutting the key at your local locksmith or key shop