Americas Supercar Ford GT SAE Event April 5, 2017--- FINAL UPDATE

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Overall an extremely satisfying as and fantastic day! Thanks DBK thanks AJB thanks Raj, Larry Holt and Ford for making this whole experience Unforgettable!!
Thanks Rich for letting his check out the GT guys place! Thanks to Carl /CJ 428 for being a fantastic chauffeur and thanks John B/ pe2unia for letting me hang out with you guys .
Was really great to see all the fine forum friends and to meet a few new people and of course the lovely wives, girlfriends and in some cases mistresses..lol..
One of the highlights of the day was actually seeing the map pockets built into the back of the Sparco seats!:lol

All of that new Sparco gear is super cool! I think they saw us for GT owners coming !! That Ferrari crowd isn't going to have anything on us GT boys.. :biggrin
The safety belts will be designed to match up with the optional factory-installed inserts excetera. They said the belts would be available in black red and blue .

Attachments

• 2017-04-05 22.55.53.jpg
    2017-04-05 22.55.53.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 406
  • 2017-04-05 22.56.32.jpg
    2017-04-05 22.56.32.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Will the presentation materials be available?

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Great day. Hanging out with the most amazing group of people. Met several people on the GT program along with vendors and suppliers with displays and demonstrations. Over 800 people in the room and a special acknowledgement to the group of Ford GT owners by Raj Nair. Very cool! Thanks DBK for your forum and AJB for all your efforts.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Thanks AJB for setting all this up! It was a really awesome evening. GT owners were well represented. Great to see a large number of people from the program get to celebrate their achievement. Those presentations from Raj, Chris and Larry have re-fired me up. :lol

There was a ton of great info in there. I did record the audio on my iPhone so I may transcribe some of it. As an example, did you know the GT race car carries 150 kg(!) of added ballast to meet the class minimum? Insane.

I will say, I've been around the auto industry all my life. It's a special time if you're into this stuff. Product development chiefs virtually always lack the appetite for risk associated with a program like this. There was the potential for one good outcome and a great deal of bad ones. It took an enormous set of balls on the man responsible for this program to accept the level of risk necessary to push this program and go win Le Mans. It was good to hear so much discussion from Raj about how the program was about one thing: building a superlative endurance racer to win Le Mans. I've always thought there was a bit of mixed messaging when the "concept" car came out; there is no mistaking it now, this car started with the goal of winning Le Mans. Mission accomplished.

I'd also say that it should be transparently obvious to anyone that comes across him that Larry Holt is a F*(&(!*# genius. That's really all I can say about it. The auto industry is a very conservative place and you don't get to look, act and talk like Larry unless you're offering something so superior that they have no choice but to accept it. The man is the real deal. People will be writing about the technical prowess and innovation he and his organization bring to motorsport and this car for a long time.

Again, thanks Andy! Great night! I had to say to Garen Nicoghosian one last time as the presentations ended that I still can't believe this thing exists, and it looks like that. That car on the stage...it's just unreal to be a part of it. What a job the team responsible for this car have done!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I love the slow reveal of all that is available! Exciting!

The numbers on the helmet and bag are similar but the digits are transposed? Whats the significance?

Thanks
Simon

No significance. They just had a bunch of demo products.

There are two bags, one fits exactly in the trunk. Then they also had gloves, shoes, CF helmet, and race suit just like the race team, harnesses, that can be ordered by the owner. They can only be ordered by the original owner and will be serialized to their car.

You can go to Torino and get laser scanned for the suit!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Incredible night. The advanced engineering going on under the skin of this car will be fully understood/appreciated by a very small number of people. I always say the real story on the 2005/2006 cars goes way beyond how well those cars turned out. The real story is the circumstances (and timing) under which that car occurred. Everyone looks at the 2005/2006 cars and thinks they are amazing (because they are) but few people know the extra, incredible dimension of how the cars happened.

Now the new car will have the same extra dimension few folks will really appreciate. Everyone will look at the car (and the car's performance numbers) and think it's amazing (because it is). But the extra, incredible dimension on the NFGT is the level of engineering genius that's out of view. Kudos to Larry for explaining it in a way that even a journalist ("They said there'd be no math") can fully understand (and be wowed by).

I'll admit I was nervous when the GT was leaving the elevated stage, but the handlers were total pros. Easy-peasy.

Ford GT Exits Stage.jpg

[video=youtube;7iFA2Ks14os]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iFA2Ks14os&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
A fine day.

Gentlemen,

This has been a very satisfying three days. A fine gathering of Forum members assembled for dinner and cocktails at the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Troy on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning I paid a visit to my yellow '06 GT that's getting new clear bra and a few other goodies at Rich's shop and it filled me with lust just like the first time I saw it. These cars never get old. Then a bunch of members spent several hours at DBK's showroom sitting in, crawling around, and examining every detail of the two NFGT's he is storing. Good God they are beautiful. As Brian and Dave have already said, the SAE event was just outstanding. All the cool stuff that will be sold to NFGT owners only is skyrocketing the cost of this new ride and I couldn't be happier. After the event several of us met at Churchill's in downtown Detroit and that was excellent too. Special thanks to Andy for setting this up. Thanks Dave, Raj, Rich, and every other member who made the trek here. God Bless America.

Chip

Attachments

• IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What a great time we had but my only request would be that our guest speakers would have continued for a few more hours [emoji12]Thanks to Rich and DBK for opening up your place and welcoming us to explore everything GT and enjoying the comradery.

Thanks Andy for setting this up for our group. Great times!!!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Awesome :willy

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Nice to talk to the engineers and see individual Parts they have made for the car. Fantastic event

Attachments

• 20170405_175246.jpg
    20170405_175246.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 20170405_210126.jpg
    20170405_210126.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 20170405_204626.jpg
    20170405_204626.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 302

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
5bbe60a0c7824922554927ae4b1ef970.jpg

6b7b853dbf88b86cf6f0a7129083c1ca.jpg

c0dc75bdc2c874c8504e75163b4eccf9.jpg

08f1b0d3e6285e21c6e4862441affad4.jpg

3da04d5b77d504fa11e35a402122ebc8.jpg

d53c453948263f7aabf0e9cae0824bab.jpg

Available to all owners.

where do we sign up?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sparco guy is supposed to come over with the goods this week.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
This is soooo AWESOME! How can you not love Ford! What a class act!

When are we all going to Torino?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Andy! and Ford presenters

Thanks Andy so very much from the Ford GT owners for bringing this Detroit SAE meeting to our attention and coordinating with the host group to get our tables all together! Very much appreciate all that you did for us out-of-towners.:biggrin

As others have stated the meeting was very well presented in terms the general audience could understand, appreciate and embrace. Raj did a fantastic job of explaining the background information how the Groundhog, uhhh, errr, Phoenix program (NFGT) rose from the ashes of the Silver (Mustang) program which was rejected as not realistically competitive in reaching for the ultimate goal of winning Le Mans. The backstory of late night meetings, weekend courtyard viewings of design iterations, lots of coffee and ultimately explaining to the Board the fruits of their covert activities was very interesting. The goal, from day one, was to win Le Mans on the one chance Ford had to celebrate the 50th anniversary win with a brand new car which only had 4 races (and just one win) under its GTLM belt before heading across the pond to take their best shot at destiny. Mission accomplished! Even with the BOP weight/boost penalties, leader light problems, transmission solenoid problems and Ferrari never answering their Black Flag penalty. Glad I was there to witness this historic event which Raj helped me relive last night.

Chris Svensson did an equally superb job of explaining how the design team created the exquisite shape of the new car and the uncompromising attention to aerodynamic detain achieved by his team of engineers. The discussion of frontal areas, front/rear shapes, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) results, coefficient of drag value and weights of various benchmark auto targets relative to the teams design was informative and easy to understand. They have given us the new supercar benchmark.

What can you say about Larry Holt other than what Dave stated and I echo-

I'd also say that it should be transparently obvious to anyone that comes across him that Larry Holt is a F*(&(!*# genius. That's really all I can say about it.

The Multimatic engineering execution of the two suspension systems and the front/rear aero balance technique is pretty amazing. And as colorful as Larry can be (I was lucky to have dinner with him at Daytona last year) he did not go “off reservation” (Raj’s term not mine) and provided the audience with some really detailed information on many of the engineering marvels buried deep within the car. He is genius. I could listen to his stories for hours.....

I felt badly for Bob Fascetti that he only got 3 minutes to talk about the FGT powertrain. The presentation was running long on time and program management opted to truncate Bob’s presentation. I really believe the audience would have stayed longer to listen to the engine details. (the attendance was by and large engineers)

Raj, since you frequent our Forum, I am sure the ownership ranks would be overjoyed at having a similar presentation format at our Utah based rally August 23-26. As related in this thread many FGT brand-ambassadors could not attend the Detroit SAE meeting and still many more did not attend the Le Mans victory. Since we all live and breathe the heritage of this iconic Ford race car, it would be a great honor for all the rally attendees to relive the Le Mans win story you tell so well. Consider, if you would, bringing Chris, Larry and Bob with you to our 2017 rally. Perhaps you can detail the strategy used to win Le Mans the second year as well!:thumbsup

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Susan and I would also like to thank Andy for spearheading this special night. It was very gracious of Raj to acknowledge the Ford GT owners in attendance. They really do view us as ambassadors and we couldn't be more proud. All of the presentations were awesome. Raj is impressive in how he commands a room. Great information presented and a highlight for me was when Susan looked over and said, "I'm so glad we came to this, I'm learning a lot!" Those of you that know us know that means everything to me. Thank you to Raj, Larry, Chris, Garen and the entire team for putting together a great evening. Thanks to DBK for letting us come to his place to check out the two GT's there, thank you to Andy and Kelli for putting up with us the whole time and thank you Chip for talking to Nick and allowing Susan to sit in his new GT. The experience and process just keeps getting better. So good.

Vince H

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The shoes are not flashy enough for Ajai! Do they come in colors to match the cars?

Ed

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
What is a 'short charge air cooling circuit'?

Thanks
Simon

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What is a 'short charge air cooling circuit'?

Thanks
Simon

The engine air intake. I think it was in reference to the fact that the turbos were outboard and close to the side pod heat exchangers.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Chip, like the new shaved head look. :thumbsup

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Yes thanks Andy, everything was perfect. Great event got to see some cool things and learn some good info