Trailer for 2017 FGT

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OK. I agree. Tacos in the shade are better than Tacos in the sun :)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
And added the PITA factor of also having to unload with the winch and making sure the trailer is tilted back

Obviously you've never done it - whereas I'd say I have 200+ load/un-loads of GTs into a trailer + countless other cars. You made another point in favor of pulling the car in - it can easily be done solo. Go as slow/fast as you want. Stop to make an steering/centering adjustments as needed. No tricky clutch work. No need for a spotter. Unloading is equally trivial. The car is still tethered to the winch (although I add slack during the actual tow) but you just park on level to slightly uphill ground. No problem. As in loading - no spotter is necessary. No climbing into the car. Stand in front of it (excellent viewing position) and, if need be, use shins to give it slight push. Simple.

Fine for me for folks who see no need to change/improve the way they do things. Maybe the cost of a rope winch with remote is too steep for a $250-$500K car. Ignorance is bliss.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ignorance is bliss.

You must be ecstatic.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I have three 28' trailers all V nose. One retired to loaner, someone is always needing a trailer, because of no side door and 60,000 plus miles. The other two both have side doors and thousands of miles. Had the single car trailer special built with ram over for wheel wells, Harley fits in front of car. The other is a stacker 3 axel and top car goes in above wheel so I think I am set up. Never had any stability problems with the V nose. Had to pull a friends flat nose and it cost me 2 to 3 mpg. To each his own but the V nose is free storage for track gear. Just keep your bearings serviced, tip of the day.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I winch on / drive off. No winch on / winch off. Sounds like a Karate Kid technique.:biggrin
But seriously it seems we all have our own process, there's no right or wrong way. Whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I will say winching the car on is the most favorable situation for the clutch longevity.

Side doors are great. I wouldn't buy a trailer without one. I guess everyone who builds one with the side doors are building weak junk...:lol..

Play nice boys remember what you learned in school... if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all...:biggrin

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I don't have a car trailer nor plan on buying one but this was an entertaining thread to read.

Ed

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
TT / Supercharged Wars > Tire Wars > Trailer Wars. :lol

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Brian, you forgot the 9mm vs 45 cal Wars. :biggrin

Just Drive 'Em. :cheers

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten

9mm all the way.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
9mm all the way.
:thumbsup

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia

9mm = Girls gun

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
But seriously it seems we all have our own process, there's no right or wrong way. Whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Fully agree, Brian. Many of us owners have fine-tuned their processes and they work for them - no worries.

For newbies to the trailering process there are choices to be made. Width of the trailer is likely now one of the paramount requirements! Certainly anyone can be a trailer with no side door and no winch and choose to drive it in, shimmy out the window and then do the inverse to get it out of the trailer. That process will work time and time again - and there are likely many people that do it that way - quite successfully.

The next level of convenience would be the addition of a large side-door on the trailer that permitted the GT door to be opened for far easier ingress/egress. You could still use the same drive-in/drive out process - but it is alt least easier to get in and out of car. Again, a lot of owners doing this very successfully. No problem.

IMO, the NEXT step of convenience is the ability to winch in/out. If you are setting up a trailer for this, I would recommend a rope vs cable winch and with a handheld remote control. Drive the GT to the foot of the ramp, and connect the rope, add tension. Remove parking brake. Use handheld remote to pull car in. Stop as often as needed. Stand wherever you want to have the best visibility. Move around. Make a steering adjustment if necessary. (Remember you will likely only have an inch or two of tolerance between wheel wells.) With the car in position, strap it in. Add some slack to the winch rope/cable for towing. Almost identical steps to un-load. Note that un-load is likely a far easier step.... often just requiring to hold the steering wheel straight!

The bottom line is if trailer shopping, let's assume the following (generalization);

1. Least expensive & most common: Trailer with no side door and no winch set-up but sufficient width for GT
2. More expensive: Trailer above with winch & remote capability
3. Most expensive: Trailer with large side door (but no winch)
4. Best of all worlds: Trailer with large side door and winch set-up

To summarize my opinion having direct experience with all of the above.... I would recommend 2) over 3) above if I was recommending a trailer from scratch and 4) if I had the budget.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

...Star Wars. ..:lol

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I don't have a car trailer nor plan on buying one but this was an entertaining thread to read.

Ed

You should get one with the side door... I'm planning to sell tacos at the next rally... you can park next to me and serve up some cervesa...:lol...

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Fully agree, Brian. Many of us owners have fine-tuned their processes and they work for them - no worries.

For newbies to the trailering process there are choices to be made. Width of the trailer is likely now one of the paramount requirements! Certainly anyone can be a trailer with no side door and no winch and choose to drive it in, shimmy out the window and then do the inverse to get it out of the trailer. That process will work time and time again - and there are likely many people that do it that way - quite successfully.

The next level of convenience would be the addition of a large side-door on the trailer that permitted the GT door to be opened for far easier ingress/egress. You could still use the same drive-in/drive out process - but it is alt least easier to get in and out of car. Again, a lot of owners doing this very successfully. No problem.

IMO, the NEXT step of convenience is the ability to winch in/out. If you are setting up a trailer for this, I would recommend a rope vs cable winch and with a handheld remote control. Drive the GT to the foot of the ramp, and connect the rope, add tension. Remove parking brake. Use handheld remote to pull car in. Stop as often as needed. Stand wherever you want to have the best visibility. Move around. Make a steering adjustment if necessary. (Remember you will likely only have an inch or two of tolerance between wheel wells.) With the car in position, strap it in. Add some slack to the winch rope/cable for towing. Almost identical steps to un-load. Note that un-load is likely a far easier step.... often just requiring to hold the steering wheel straight!

The bottom line is if trailer shopping, let's assume the following (generalization);

1. Least expensive & most common: Trailer with no side door and no winch set-up but sufficient width for GT
2. More expensive: Trailer above with winch & remote capability
3. Most expensive: Trailer with large side door (but no winch)
4. Best of all worlds: Trailer with large side door and winch set-up

To summarize my opinion having direct experience with all of the above.... I would recommend 2) over 3) above if I was recommending a trailer from scratch and 4) if I had the budget.
usually it is less expensive if you just drive it to wherever you're going. no trailer required.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
You should get one with the side door... I'm planning to sell tacos at the next rally... you can park next to me and serve up some cervesa...:lol...

Sounds good to me. Will Dr Frank be selling the beer?

Ed

TTS

GT Owner
Apr 11, 2008
Hastings, Nebraska
Anyone tried the Rail Ryder system?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm sorry, but I am contracted to Magic to have a perogi truck out of his trailer. We do not have liquor license.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm sorry, but I am contracted to Magic to have a perogi truck out of his trailer. We do not have liquor license.

I'll be selling curry and Indian snacks out of my trailer.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Anyone tried the Rail Ryder system?

I looked at that trolley system. It's neat, but I thought that aligning the car might be difficult since adjustments aren't possible as the car is entering the trailer. Also, it makes using the trailer for other purposes more difficult.