Oil Gauge problem

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
While driving today, I looked at the Oil Gauge and 0! I tap the Gauge and it shoots up to about 40. It didn't move after that(not normal). I shut it down and it went to 0. Restarted it and nothing until I tapped it again. Is there a Low Pressure Light and is it independent of the Gauge?

Joe

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
There is a sending unit for the gauge that fail some times. You can unplug it and see if that has any net effect on the gauge

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
I took it to the Dealer this morning. I got good news, the pump is working. I also got bad news, after 2 1/2 hours of troubleshooting, I need a new gauge for $1,590.

Joe

H

HHGT

I took it to the Dealer this morning. I got good news, the pump is working. I also got bad news, after 2 1/2 hours of troubleshooting, I need a new gauge for $1,590.

Joe

Unless it is under warranty. I would not fix it yet....Likely hood of oil related failure is minimal unless you race it.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
in Manual it states 'Check Gage" is lit when:

-Gas tank is low
-Coolant low
-Oil Low
-Battery Low

As an aside, I once saw a Mangusta that had a 3 guage autometer (oil temp, pressure, water) pack in engine bay bolted to rail. Worst case, for $50 thats what I would do.

Last edited:

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
From memory in Manual it states 'Check Gage" is lit when:

-Gas tank is low
-Coolant low
-Oil Low?

We have an Oil Pressure gauge. In my case the needle was stuck at about 5psi, so there was no light.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The Mangusta did as well (6 sub-guages actually on dash), but guess the owner didnt want to repair/replace it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hmmm, another gauge failure. I'm starting to get paranoid and I don't even own one yet :) Has it been verified to be the gauge itself or the controller?

I'm curios if this is a gauge controller-to-gauge communication problem. One way would be to disconnect the gauge from the controller and reattach it. Another might be to disconnect the battery for a while. Put the battery on a charger to fully charge while disconnected, then reconnect.

(Just trying to help diagnose and it might save you a few bucks.)

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I need a new gauge for $1,590.

Crazy money for something that I imagine would not be expensive to produce for most cars..........

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
If you want a new gauge for a third of that price PM me.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
If you want a new gauge for a third of that price PM me.

The Gauge is $500+ the rest is labor including diagnostics.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Anybody have some failed gauges laying around that I can have dismantled and tested? They would likely be reassembled and working when returned but no promises.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
You can have mine, when they replace it.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Cant the folks that made the custom boost guages here, make this? I think at one point there was a dual needle Oil Temp & pressure guage in the works

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Would be curious to know if the car was on the original Optima battery and if a charger was used on a regular basis.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Anybody have some failed gauges laying around that I can have dismantled and tested? They would likely be reassembled and working when returned but no promises.

It would be interesting to see a failed one. My guess is the gauge itself is pretty dumb. The gauge controller unit does all the work and the gauge itself is probably a PWM-driven digital-analog converter. What would be interesting to see is a scope on the connection from the controller to the gauge in both working and non-working conditions. If the signal is still going to the gauge then the interesting condition is whatever is taking the gauges out.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Fubar, Aggie may still have my failed gas gauge from last years rally. It was left there by mistake. You might give him a call. If it's still available, it's yours to tear apart. Frank

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
After diagnosing the problem with the gauge, I took my car in for NYS inspection. The machine said "NO RECORD" for all the readings. I imaging they cleared the memory when they were working with the computer.
Does anyone know what it takes to rebuild the Records? I drove 300 miles in two days and still "NO RECORD"!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
My oil gauge was acting up the other day too.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
You just need to complete the OBD2 drive cycle I would imagine.